Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

The problem is that I really want a stick. I have my original hydramtic which I'm sure is fine, but I'm sick of automatics. I want somethin to shift!

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 12-31-2006, 03:29 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Batwing
...Fabcraft ... no problem to build 55-60 flywheels, the problem is getting ring gears. Only one of his suppliers still sells the 55-60 ring gear, and they want $120 for the ring gear alone.
Axle- I wonder if I might help one of you guys get your Pontiac going? I've got a '58 Hydramatic flywheel that's doing nothing but serving as a 'foot' for my bubble-type wheel balancer! I could lathe-cut the ring gear portion of it off, for Fabcraft to weld/bolt to an appropriate standard-shift flywheel (the Hydro wheel is a one-piece forging with the ring gear teeth machined into it). I'd need to coordinate with Fabcraft on the ring gear ID that would work for them. I could probably hold the concentricity within +/- about .002", and the actual dimension within +/- about .005". They would need to take the final cut on the mating piece once they have the ring gear in-hand. I'd donate the ring gear, and need about $25 for machining, plus shipping.
Let me know- or maybe I should talk directly to Fabcraft- to see if they think it's a crazy idea?

Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let us know how that works out. I still have my original flywheel.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:28 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Axle- sent you a PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

i got the PM and replied. there is a market for this stuff...its a small market but still there are buyers.
i need a flywheel bad!

Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Axle- I can't be of any help to the 'market' for old flywheels; I've merely got a single '58 Hydro wheel that I thought might help just one of you guys out. Like I said, I'll donate the ring gear portion of it if it would help you (+$25, since I'll probably have to pay a local machinist to put it in a monster lathe; + shipping). But I don't feel it's up to me to do the legwork of coordinating with Fabcraft. If one of you guys wants to run my post#22 past Fabcraft, and if they think my idea has merit, let me know so I can get started on cutting off the ring gear.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Chief

jack, i'll look in to this. axle

Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have located and purchased a few stick flywheels for early pontiacs. They use a 12" clutch.

What did you do for headers? I got a set of Hedman 3 tubes and cut the collector short and welded 45s to go under the frame. The pipes are so close to the ground it's a bad idea but I don't think there's another way to do it.

It's been a while since I've been here but I have a 4 speed Muncie in my '59 right now. If anyone has an questions I can give you a hand. I wish I had a hand when I was trying to figure out how to do it. It's not really that hard though. I had to make a plate to make the tranny cross member work but it was only about 1-2 inches off.

The Hurst shifter fits perfectly between the seat and the heater duct. I just bought a clutch linkage set up from a pontiaczone member and I will install that soon. The clutch I have is a dual friction (kevlar/ceramic) from Fort Wayne clutch. It's a 12" 26 spline that they made specifically for me. It was about $300 for the whole kit. I bought the pilot bearing at NAPA. The driveshaft will have to be shortened a little bit.

Go with a 4 speed!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Wow- you're getting pretty "artsy" here- photographing in black-and-white for effect!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

haha it helps hide the not so pretty door and the kick panel which I haven't put back on yet.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 PM

I have a 59 GMC 1/2 ton that has the 336 in it with the stock 4 speed and I am swapping it out to a built 400hp 1960 389 with a tri power on it. Will the hyrdamatic that came with the 60 389 hold up at all our should I try to find a good 4 speed that will bolt up to my bellhousing. Is there such a manual?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think anything will be a direct bolt in but there is a company that makes an adapter.

You might be ok with the original hydramatic. I don't know how hard you plan on beating that GMC but I hear those hydramtics are pretty stout.

I swapped (or I'm in the process of) my original hydramatic for a muncie because I wanted something stronger and something I could shift.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf View Post
... 400hp 1960 389 with a tri power on it. Will the hyrdamatic that came with the 60 389 hold up at all...
... to find a good 4 speed that will bolt up to my bellhousing...
Unless there's some issue with the Hydramatic, I believe it will hold up quite well in the GMC- assuming no "sticky" rear rubber, like slicks. You should talk with PITTSBURGH64, who is quite happy with his Dual-Coupling Hydramatic in a car much heavier than your pickup. Also, stevep on these forums is knowledgeable, as he services them.

The truck bellhousing won't do you much good. If you get a '58-60 Pontiac bellhousing, any Muncie/etc. will bolt to it.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The GMC bellhousing will bolt up to a muncie just fine. What makes you say that?

That's what I had in my car until I found out the clutch linkage bolts to the bellhousing. Now I swapped mine out with a '60 Pontiac housing now. Well I'm in the process of.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM

As mentioned earlier, if you have a '58-60 bellhousing any muncie or T-10 4 spd will bolt right up. I have a a '59 engine with a '58 bellhousing in a '57 car. I have used both a muncie and a Super T-10 in the car with no problems. It currently has Tremec a TKO-500 which also bolts right up to the bellhousing but did require some other modifications to fit. I will let you know soon how well it works.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
The GMC bellhousing will bolt up to a muncie just fine...
You're correct- sorry that I posted otherwise. I had only glanced at the bolt pattern on my GMC's old granny-low 4-speed and thought it was different- until I measured it today.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasn't sure they would work either. I drove to New Mexico and back in one day and was up for 42 hours straight but as soon as I got home I took it off and made sure it fit. I was so happy that after over a year of looking I finally found a stick bellhousing. Now it seems like I see one or 2 every few months.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 PM

I am new to this GM tranny stuff, so I understand I have three choices so what is the pro/cons with the Muncie, t-10 and the supper t-10, I am assuming from what I have read in this thread that will fit up to my 59 GM bell housing.

I pulled the engine and tranny from the 60 Catalina on Saturday, so I am about ready to ship my 389 out to Rock & Roll Engineering (Bruce) to have him work his magic.

I was looking at the left side of my GM and I am really gong to have some fun getting a header to fit past the started, steering box and the tranny cross member.

Thanks for all your info

Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf View Post
I am new to this GM tranny stuff, so I understand I have three choices so what is the pro/cons with the Muncie, t-10 and the supper t-10, I am assuming from what I have read in this thread that will fit up to my 59 GM bell housing.

I pulled the engine and tranny from the 60 Catalina on Saturday, so I am about ready to ship my 389 out to Rock & Roll Engineering (Bruce) to have him work his magic.

I was looking at the left side of my GM and I am really gong to have some fun getting a header to fit past the started, steering box and the tranny cross member.

Thanks for all your info

rwolf !!!!
I see you are new to this forum. Where do you live? Is Bruce close to you or something?
You can do what you want but I would do a search on this board for posts concerning Rock & Roll Engineering before I made a decision on engine builder !!!!. I have never dealt with Bruce but I wouldn't after reading about experiences others have had with Bruce and " his magic". And yes...I did meet Bruce in WV at a POCI convention..
Just be careful !!!!!!
On the west coast I would use Ace Brewer at PPR...JMO....
My name is 60man and I approve this message...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

as for the 3 choices on 4speeds, I'd use the ST-10. It is stronger than the Muncie and, being alum, is lighter than the T-10.

How big are you going to build the '60 389? I run one in my AA/Fueler. Its a great block.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11