Old 05-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 GTO Stripe Question ??

Question....Did all 67 GTO come with the painted pin stripe ?? I saw some where it said it was a standard item . My 67 I bought last fall had a very wavy and upside down tape stripe...I removed it. Thinking about laying out some striping tape and hand painting the stripe back on. but it looks ok without it too.But if all 67 GTO came with the stripe...it's a no brainier. thanks for any input

Old 05-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Should be dual painted stripes unlike 66's that only had a single.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So all 67's came with a stripe ???

Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe so....

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
So all 67's came with a stripe ???
There was an optional "stripe delete" but barring that they all came with a stripe (dual stripes).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info .

Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Question....Did all 67 GTO come with the painted pin stripe ?? I saw some where it said it was a standard item . My 67 I bought last fall had a very wavy and upside down tape stripe...I removed it. Thinking about laying out some striping tape and hand painting the stripe back on. but it looks ok without it too.But if all 67 GTO came with the stripe...it's a no brainier. thanks for any input
A word of advice... If you plan on doing it yourself and using paint, use this pinstriping tape. As a sign painter for a number of years, I used it and it saved me a ton of time and it worked well; no bleeding and nice sharp lines.

Make sure you clean the stripe area with Prepsol or similar cleaner first.

Note: I dont know anything about their paint, as I only used 1-Shot lettering enamels.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I striped my 67 myself. I used a Beugler tool, along with their magnetic guide strip, and I used the 1-shot enamel.

There is a blueprint in the 1967 assembly manual with dimensions on where the stripe should be put down. This manual used to be available on some websites as pdf files, but it was multiple files and they were not indexed, so you had to search deep into the files to find that print. Someone might have it as a jpeg and attach it here?

I laid down 3M green tape with an appropriate offset from the desired location, and used a ruler at all the locations noted in the blueprint to be sure it was going to be correct. Then it's a matter of laying the tape so it's a smooth curve for the whole side. The green tape was also good and "contrasty" so I could really see how it was going to look. Then I put on the magnetic strip right against the tape. I left the tape as a "backup" so the magnet wouldn't slip. the Beugler tool has a "follower" arm that slides in a groove in the magnetic strip. The arm offset is adjustable for precise location control. The tool roller applies the paint. The kit came with various width wheels. I made one pass with a thin roller, and another pass with the thicker roller, of course offseting the second roller the proper width to get my dual stripe. If I had to do it again I'd make my own follower with a roller bearing to follow the groove. The arm they give you sometimes gets sticky in the groove. Come to think of it maybe I should have very lightly lubed the groove. But overall I was quite happy with my result.
I applaud you for wanting the stripe....lots of folks just skip it because they are a pain to get done. And many I see are in the wrong location....Good stripes in the right location look good!

Oh, and I have a few pix on my webpage on laying on the stripes...not much, but the pictures might give you a good idea of what I described. I think it's on the "paint" or "paint and bodywork" section...(I'm not at home now...sorry for not having details!) click on my website link below my sig...
Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Yup, the Beugler stripers work great as well! I didn't mention them because compared to the cost of a roll of tape, they are more expensive, and have a bit of a learning curve to go with with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtone View Post
I striped my 67 myself. I used a Beugler tool, along with their magnetic guide strip, and I used the 1-shot enamel.

There is a blueprint in the 1967 assembly manual with dimensions on where the stripe should be put down. This manual used to be available on some websites as pdf files, but it was multiple files and they were not indexed, so you had to search deep into the files to find that print. Someone might have it as a jpeg and attach it here?

I laid down 3M green tape with an appropriate offset from the desired location, and used a ruler at all the locations noted in the blueprint to be sure it was going to be correct. Then it's a matter of laying the tape so it's a smooth curve for the whole side. The green tape was also good and "contrasty" so I could really see how it was going to look. Then I put on the magnetic strip right against the tape. I left the tape as a "backup" so the magnet wouldn't slip. the Beugler tool has a "follower" arm that slides in a groove in the magnetic strip. The arm offset is adjustable for precise location control. The tool roller applies the paint. The kit came with various width wheels. I made one pass with a thin roller, and another pass with the thicker roller, of course offseting the second roller the proper width to get my dual stripe. If I had to do it again I'd make my own follower with a roller bearing to follow the groove. The arm they give you sometimes gets sticky in the groove. Come to think of it maybe I should have very lightly lubed the groove. But overall I was quite happy with my result.
I applaud you for wanting the stripe....lots of folks just skip it because they are a pain to get done. And many I see are in the wrong location....Good stripes in the right location look good!

Oh, and I have a few pix on my webpage on laying on the stripes...not much, but the pictures might give you a good idea of what I described. I think it's on the "paint" or "paint and bodywork" section...(I'm not at home now...sorry for not having details!) click on my website link below my sig...
Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thin strip is on top....correct ? Saw a video on squids fad about pin striping a 67 and it's upside down according to the manual.....but looks good anyway you want it

Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure, I guess you would have to find an old pic or something.

Quote:
The thin strip is on top....correct ? Saw a video on squids fad about pin striping a 67 and it's upside down according to the manual.....but looks good anyway you want it

Old 05-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I prefer pinstripe delete cars personally.

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 05-20-2016, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTO4SPEED View Post
I prefer pinstripe delete cars personally.
As my friend says: "It would be a helluva world if we all loved the same woman".

I'm a pushover for black cars with red stripes.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67GTO..... That would like great with red pinstripes.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
As my friend says: "It would be a helluva world if we all loved the same woman".

K
I'm going to use this...

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 AM
Suspended

actually there was a dual stripe tape stencil you put on first, then paint between the gaps for both stripes. Then remove stencil once dry and have both stripes right thickness and gap and straight.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thin stripe on top, and Squid's car in the photos shows the thin one on top. Correct. Super nice car, BTW. I've saved some of Squid's 'how to' articles because they're super detailed and well documented. He's a very high-functioning guy, and I appreciate him sharing his fabrication knowledge, that's for sure!

Old 08-20-2016, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow FYI

Saved from one of the many past "Stripe" topics.
IIRC DELETE was option code 491. The pages posted are from an assembly manual.
Clarity isn't the best but should be of help if applying stripes to your/a '67.

These thumbs are also saved and are of an all original '67...

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 12-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Just for Grins...

If you really want to confuse the crowd, you could add this Rally Stripe
This one appears to be a replica of the optional kit as it appears much wider;

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 12-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember those Rally stripes from back in the day. I also remember a guy who had one front rear in the center of his GTO

Didn't they also have one across the trunk lid and down both quarter panels? 69 and 69 Chargers had them but I also remember one done on a 66 GTO up in Northern NY where I grew up. More than likely tho it was done by the owner.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.