Old 06-13-2003, 08:17 PM

I recently purchased a 1971 Lemans. It has Sport badges on it.
What is different between a standard lemans and a Lemans Sport?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:17 PM

I recently purchased a 1971 Lemans. It has Sport badges on it.
What is different between a standard lemans and a Lemans Sport?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '70 & 71 LeMans Sport shared the comfortweave bucket (or bench) seat interior with the same year GTO. Interior wise most 235 series '71 LeMans had all vinyl bench & door panels that were a cut between the base T-37 & the GTO. The LeMans Sport shared the GTO's doorpanels (exc the GTO emblems). Also shared the GTO's ribbed taillights for '71.

The 237 series LeMans Sport was avail in two bodystyles that the 235 series LeMans was not avail, namely the convertible & the 4 door hardtop.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH,

I actually parted out a '71 LeMans Sport, 4 dr ht about 15 years ago. The hood is on my T-37. It was canyon copper and had the fold down arm rest front seat. I didn't realize that you could get the LeMans Sport in a 4 dr ht until then.

JLP

Old 06-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LeMans Sport (VIN 23737) included over the LeMans:

1. Bucket seats
2. Ralley II rims as std equipment
3. Trim rings for the Ralley IIs
4. Dual horns
5. Dual outside mirrors
6. 3-spoke steering wheel (not the chromed one, the one that's interior color).
7. LeMans Sport emblems.

Some will say that A/C and carpet instead of rubber floor mats. Can't be true. Seen too many regular LeMans in the junkyard and on the street with A/C and (what used to be) carpet. The T-37/GT-37 could be had without A/C and carpet, for weight savings.

Jack and OPH - That's one on me. The documentation I have on the Sport says nothing like that. Wierd! But then again, found 2 T-37 cars in the junkyard with '68-style wind-wings in the doors.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 06-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 dr post cars up through '72 had wing windows the hardtops did not after '67.

The LeMans Sport did not have Ralley II wheels. It had those really ugly '71 large wheel covers. I will check literature when I get home as I have all the '71 sales literature.

I am in Valdez, AK now, travel to Fairbanks on Tuesday, back to Anchorage Friday and home Saturday. Home for a week then back to Fairbanks for June 30-July 2 and finally home for a while.

JLP

Old 06-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '71 LeMans Sport has Ralley II wheels from the factory.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 06-16-2003, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '71 LeMans Sport 3737, 3738, & 3767 were avail with comfortweave/vinyl bench seat (same as GTO) OR buckets. Buckets were not standard, maybe on the '72 Sport converts, but not for '71.

As a bonus over the 235 series LeMans, the LeMans Sport received:

-std V8 engine, not the 250 6cyl,
-ashtray & glovebox lights,
-dark walnut wood dash applique,
-stainless pedal trim,
-stainless wheel opening mldgs std,
-those ribbed tailights,
-custom cushion steering wheel (not the 2 spoke)
-2 door versions shared the GTO's door panels, with except of the emblems

Old 06-17-2003, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Rally II's were optional. They were only standard on the GT-37 and Judge models. And then only without trim rings. May have been standard on '72 LeMans GT. All others were special order.

JLP

Old 06-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know, my info is from a resto guide that I read when I got the car 18 years ago. (Yes - 18 years ago!) According to the posts here, all the info I have is bogus. Where are you guys getting your info from? Not trying to start anything, just want to know the truth of the matter.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,
Much of LeMans Sport info I have is from 1971 Pontiac dealer album, asm manual, original dated parts books, & most of all... restoring, processing, & parting more than a bunch of '71 & 72 Pontiac A-bodys.

Noticed your reference to a restoration guide & can see where the problem is, if you are referring to GTO Restoration Guide. Personally gave my copy to our local Pontiac club's library in '91 as it was little help. Even the "new" & expanded GTO Restoration Guide that has been out last 8(?) years, is close to pathetic when it comes to discerning high point detailing issues for the '71's & '72's.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 71 Sport has everything a GTO has, except for Endura nose and emblems;

buckets, console, Rallys, 400... etc.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 72 Lemans Sport with buckets and a console. The car originaly came with A/C. The interior is a rare color called pewter. I would like to find out how many Lemans Sports came with that color interior. Oh, also My Sport doesn't have an Endura nose it has the chrome steel bumper with the chrome lower valance. I had a bitch of a time finding interior pieces but it now is almost in mint condition. all I need is to replace the rear inner panels. Let me know if anyone has them. Did the lemans sport come with just hubcaps or was there an option for rally II'S?

Old 06-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Handsel,
Pewter is indeed a rare color interior. Lloyd & I were following an e-Bay auction of a silver '72 455HO-4spd GTO, last summer, that had same color interior. Have only seen a few '72's with that color over the years. Was this color avail in 4 doors as well? Believe I've run across the color while yarding. Would def be $$$$ to have doorpanels, rear panels & seats restored in that color. Have you considered dying a pair of off white rear panels, the pewter color?

Wheels...Believe the std 14x6 steel wheel & deluxe wheel covers & everthing above that wheel was avail on a '72 LeMans 2 door hartop or post. This would include 14x6, 14x7, & 15x7 Rally II's, along with 14x7 & 15x7 honeycombs. Quite a variety! The 14x7's were avail with the salescode 724 handling pkg (std on the '72 GTO), & the 15" wheels came with the rare WW4 pkg.

Old 06-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

I have the interior in excellent condition, Except for the darn rip where the door meets the quarter panel. I found a guy in Alabama that parted out a car with that color interior and he said he could find them for me. That was 4 months ago. I will have to call him back and see if he found them. As for dying the pieces. I have about $400 worth of vinyl dye in my garage no one could match the color so I just gave up. There really isn't any other color I could incorporate into the interior since everything and I mean everything is that color pewter except for the seatbelts and the lower dash. I just recently replaced the headliner a few months ago. It took me 11 years to find an NOS headliner. They don't have any other material that color. If anyone knows where I can find the Pewter vinyl material at a decent price Please let me know. There is a guy in the Smoke Signals mag He wants $250 a square yard I said yeah right I'm not that desperate.

Old 06-23-2003, 06:46 PM

I have a 1970 LeMans Sport. Based on information I received from General Motors of Canada most of the things you fellas have discussed were originally available as options for GTO, LeMans Sport etc. The way I see it, every car out there is unique in its own way and the original build sheet is the only true Pontiac DNA available..

Old 06-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally, back home for 2 days.

I have found out that resto guides do not have good NON-GTO information. It is really hit and miss. Usually more miss than hit.

I have parted out 2 71 Lemans Sports. One 2 dr and 1 4 dr ht and neither had ralley wheels. Again the rally wheels were optional on all but the GT-37 and Judge for 71. I think they were only standard on the 72 LeMans GT. Remember one in Kodiak in 72. 350, auto, Gold with Black stripe and black interior. Beautiful car.

JLP

JLP

Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 PM

Handsel,
I sold my '72 sport convert with pewter bucket interior in xlnt shape (driver bottom split, and driver armrest, everything else perfect,)10 mos. ago. Maybe the guy hasn't dyed over it yet, and might trade it out for new panels; he'd probably prefer black. I could dig up his #, and ask, if you'd like.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:09 PM

Dunno if this will help much, but here's a scan of the dealer invoice for my '70 lemans sport convertible (courtesy of PHS). It shows some of the factory-installed options.

http://www.exodus-dev.com/teletactic...rOrder800x.jpg

When we bought the car in '96, supposedly from the second owner, it had some grungy looking rallye-II 15" wheels on it, which from what I have read, are _not_ factory original, as they should be 14". We have since replaced them with 15" custom aluminum wheels...

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration
Old 07-02-2003, 12:59 AM

Here is a scan from a '70 Pontiac Brochure, showing pix and description of LeMans Sport:

http://www.exodus-dev.com/teletactic.../brochure.html

Bought: 1970 Le Mans Sport Convertible (second owner,) Palladium silver, 350/2bbl (sigh) with Comp Cams 268H grind (installed by previous owner), TH350 Trans. Mods: Front suspension: Global West negative roll tubular upper arms, Del-a-lum bushings, Koni shocks, 12" disc brake conversion, 1.1" front sway bar, Rear suspension: Global West tubular control arms, springs, sway bar. Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5" American Thunder system. Mostly complete: Firewall-forward engine compartment restoration