Old 07-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

is there any quick way to tell wether the rear on this parts car is posi or not?- aside from pulling the cover? gonna get the car cheap. has 12 bolt, has that tag-"use limited slip lube only". evidence of permatex around the cover. cover looks different than the one pictured in the resto- guide. jacked it up, turned the shaft. both wheels spin the same direction, blocked passenger side wheel, driver side still spins, and vice versa. one rally rim missing...passenger side.... found it in the trunk. tire was smoked.havent paid the man yet. sorry bout all the dumb questions. is this lube available at pep boys? what are you useing? f.rock

Old 07-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

is there any quick way to tell wether the rear on this parts car is posi or not?- aside from pulling the cover? gonna get the car cheap. has 12 bolt, has that tag-"use limited slip lube only". evidence of permatex around the cover. cover looks different than the one pictured in the resto- guide. jacked it up, turned the shaft. both wheels spin the same direction, blocked passenger side wheel, driver side still spins, and vice versa. one rally rim missing...passenger side.... found it in the trunk. tire was smoked.havent paid the man yet. sorry bout all the dumb questions. is this lube available at pep boys? what are you useing? f.rock

Old 07-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

forgot to add: i couldnt find any codes on the axle at all, lotsa rust.car is knee deep in leaves, found lotsa worms and salamanders. i couldnt find codes on my stock 10 bolt either, and that is quite clean. f.rock

Old 07-06-2003, 11:30 AM

it sounds like it was a posi but it's now burnt out.

the only way to tell for sure will be to pull the cover and look.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks. more dumb questionsulling the cover, what to look for?what should i expect to pay to rebuild? or must i replace? how will i know if it is burnt. car supposedly has 80 k original mi, 2 bbl 350 no engine work, no race car. f.rock

Old 07-06-2003, 06:55 PM

if it's an open diff you'll be able to see all 4 spider gears in the center section. if it's a posi,depending on the type, you should be able to see cluthc plates and 2 spider gears, or maybe none at all if it's a spool or mini spool.

chances are it's a clutch type that's burnt out.

re: parts for it if it is a posi, get ahold of ol'pinion head, he might be able to get clutches or do the work for you.

if i remember correctly the codes are on the rear of the lh tube, near the shock mount area.

it's probably got 2:73's or 2:56's in it for gears.the housing's worth something tho.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the info. got the parts car fired up. yes, many smokey burnouts out front of the house; these are fun tests! no i didnt pull the cover off,but i laid lotsa rubber; both wheels spinning- most of the time-not every time. these clutches...can i replace em myself? can this rear be serviced while its in the car?other wise i'll have topay someone to move it.i'm gonna install this axle in my 71 lemans.anything i should know about this swap? looks like the trans crossmember is in a different location.350 trans mine is 400