Old 07-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know if the original comfort weave material for 70 GTO seats is avaiable and where I could find it?

Old 07-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Senior Chief

Does anyone know if the original comfort weave material for 70 GTO seats is avaiable and where I could find it?

Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This was from a post of mine a long time ago:

My driver's seat is original but worn badly. I want to replace it but from what I understand I can only get the original "comfortweave" material in black. I have a blue interior. Ames and Performance Years offer the seats in blue but in a non-comfortweave style material. Also, Ames does not sell the blue seats unless you buy the rear as well. I just want to replace the front buckets. The rear seat is in good shape but somewhat faded. I'm not looking for a concours quality restoration, but I want something that looks close to correct and will last. Should I buy black covers and dye them, or should I buy blue buckets from PY and dye the rear seats only? Year One only offers black as well. Any suggestions or pratical experience is appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 156 | From: Spring Hill, TN | Registered: March 05, 2000

Ccass

Administrator posted December 27, 2001 07:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think we covered this subject in another topic, but the simulated comfort weave is visually the same as the real comfort weave, only when you inspect it from several inches can you tell the difference. As long as you are happy with the blue that is still available, you shouldn't need to buy the rear seat. e-mail me with your address and we will send you some samples.
Posts: 2692 | From: Performance Years Hatfield, Pa | Registered: December 02, 1999

lemanshotrod70
Member posted December 28, 2001 11:50 AM
Have you tried Original Parts group? Own a 1970 LeMans, which is being converted to the LeMans Sport/GTO interior. Bought the whole set for mine, and was cheaper than Ames, the Paddock, or Performance Years. You can even buy the bucket seats separate from the rear seat (know what it is to save money). The website is . Try them. I did, and am happy with the results.
Posts: 46 | From: El Paso, TX U.S.A. | Registered: December 23, 1999

ol' Pinion head
Ultimate Warrior posted December 30, 2001 04:17 PM
Steve & '68,
Selecting repro seatcovers & doorpanels is not an area where cheaper is better.

differernt suppliers,
changes in insert materials,
different dye lots,

All the above affect the mix. Stick with Performance Years!
Posts: 3345 | From: Injun territory | Registered: April 04, 2000

Glenn
Ultimate Warrior posted December 31, 2001 11:40 PM
I just sent back a complete set of '70 seat covers to Original Parts Group. They said that they had a complete set of covers with the original comfort weave in red. When they arrived that were non-comfort weave, the stitching wasn't straight, and the trim was a different material and was a slightly different color. If this is going to be a concours car, the phony comfort weave is not acceptable. It's my understand that there are only two companies that manufactures these seats.
In Hemmings there is a company that has the comfort weave material in stock. My suggestion would be order the material and have a them made yourself.
Posts: 1097 | From: Palmdale, Calif | Registered: January 14, 2000

Glenn
Ultimate Warrior posted January 17, 2002 05:34 PM
I have just been told by the GTOAA's, Chief Technical Advisor, Steve Lucus that the concour judges are told not to deduct points if that replacement item has been reproducted and is the best reproduction available. (I'm assuming that is for "restored and motified concours" only)

Chris how about a good deal on front and rear seats?

1970 GTO 400 4 spd, Atoll Blue, PS, PDB, A/C
2002 Firehawk 6 spd, Artic White

Old 07-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Senior Chief

Try SMS Auto fabrics in Portland OR. 503-234-1175 that is where I found mine last year 75 dollars a yard and it is the real deal
good luck

1969 Judge 71 455HO holley projection M22 rock crusher 3.90 gears