Old 08-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On the order form for 69's there is no mention of RWL or white letter tires. It only lists "white" "red" or bsw as choices.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
On the order form for 69's there is no mention of RWL or white letter tires. It only lists "white" "red" or bsw as choices. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very true. I'm just wondering if, through the wonders of primative inventory control, circa 1969, some RWL tires might have been installed early as Red Lines or the Goodyear Polyglas black walls were phased out of factory inventory stock in the waneing hours of 1969 production, and RWL tires were arriving for the '70 run.

I have heard one story of an original owner who has dated-impressioned photos of his '69 GTO at the dealership sporting RWL tires. I've not seen the photos and can't say for sure what the date reads, so I'm wondering if anyone else has similar proof of this jumping-the-gun RWL installation.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't speak for Pontiacs, but I worked as a porter (gopher) for both a Plymouth and a Chevrolet dealer in 1969. I was 16 years old and very much into the musclecars. We did get some GTX's and Roadrunners with raised white letters. I worked at the Chevy place late in the year and we were getting Camaros and Chevelles with raised white letters, but I think they were all Firestones. Both were small dealerships.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chevy put RWL tires on Cammy's and Chevelles all through 69 from factory.

My guess is that any documentation of RWL's on 69 GTO's were dealer installed.

Nowhere that I can remember has anyone produced a build sheet or window sticker with raised white letters.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:08 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtoric:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jagjr:
I would be willing to bet that there were some 69 late year cars with Good Year RWL tires. I know that some 70 model cars had Firestone Wide ovals and some had Good Year's but what determined which car had which? Supply? Assembly plant? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The '69 Assembly Manual specs only Goodyear as a supplier for the standard G70 x 14 blackwall tire for The Judge in that year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any idea where I can get a '69 assembly manual?

Old 08-29-2004, 10:21 PM

Scan of a vintage 69 TA road test just posted in the 67-69 Firebird section.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...11&m=761109577

Looks as though the TA was available with the RWL in 69. Though, I'm still skeptical about RWL being installed on any 69 GTO's.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That article is about a RA V, 303 TA. I have 2 similar articles. None of the road tests of "factory delivered" cars show rwl on either A or F bodies for '69.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red69Goat:
Any idea where I can get a '69 assembly manual? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Year One has carried the '69 Assembly Manual for about two years now. Including shipping, it will run you around $60.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gtoric:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red69Goat:
Any idea where I can get a '69 assembly manual? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Year One has carried the '69 Assembly Manual for about two years now. Including shipping, it will run you around $60. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not listed in the online catalog. Guess I'll have to give them a call.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Year One part no. is AM764. $52 + shipping.