Old 08-11-2002, 01:29 AM

I recently bought a 69 judge with phs documents. It was delivered on 01/31/69. It doesnt have the emblem on the glove box door and its carousel red, so I beleive it is one of the 1st 2000 built. Here is my problem. It needs to be restored and repainted. The current stripe color is white/red/black. It has been repainted once. The spoiler sticker was put on the deck lid instead of the spolier as it should be, so I dont know if this is the right color combination or not. What was the color of the stripes on the first 2000 judges built. Please help and thank you very much in advance.

Old 08-11-2002, 01:29 AM

I recently bought a 69 judge with phs documents. It was delivered on 01/31/69. It doesnt have the emblem on the glove box door and its carousel red, so I beleive it is one of the 1st 2000 built. Here is my problem. It needs to be restored and repainted. The current stripe color is white/red/black. It has been repainted once. The spoiler sticker was put on the deck lid instead of the spolier as it should be, so I dont know if this is the right color combination or not. What was the color of the stripes on the first 2000 judges built. Please help and thank you very much in advance.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All of my 69 Judges, (I have owned three over the years), have had Yellow Red BLUE stripes. The blue is a dark navy type blue.. I believe this is correct for the Carousel Red...

DC

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 08-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Like DC stated,the stripe combination for the Carousel Red Judge's were the Yellow/Red/BLUE.With the Blue being the prominent color.

Factory Recommended
Judge Stripe/Decal and Body Color Combination Chart.

Stripes and decals were multicolored and are identified by the prominent color:

1969 Stripe Colors

White/Yellow/OLIVE*
Yellow/Red/BLUE
White/Red/BLACK

-----------------------------------------

Body Color Stripe/Decal color

Limelight Green
Midnight Green... {OLIVE}
Verdoro Green
Mayfair Maize

Starlight Black
Cameo White
Warwick Blue
Liberty Blue... {BLUE}
Crystal Turquoise
Palladium Silver
Carousel Red

Expresso Brown
Antique Gold
Burgundy.... {BLACK}
Matador Red
Champagne

*Olive...Sometimes referred to in Factory literature as Green!

[ August 11, 2002, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: 1-GTO ]

Old 08-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Senior Chief

According to DeMauro's new book, Carousel red Judges built before Feb of '69 had stripes that were Blue w/ red and yellow accents. After Feb the center color changed from Blue to Black for Carousel Red Judges. I have a Carousel Red 69 Judge that was built in the 3rd week of Feb and has the black center color. The "white" is probably just the yellow that faded over time. That's what happened to my stripes.

Old 08-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Very interesting Scott!
I just checked PY's Catalog and the carry the 1969 Yellow/Red/BLACK stripe kit also!

Scott..is that color of stripe kit for just the Carousel Red Judges or does it include the Starlight Black,Cameo White and the other colors in the section with the Carousel Red?

[ August 11, 2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: 1-GTO ]

Old 12-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ALTHOUGH PONTIAC SUGGESTED CERTAIN COLOR STRIPES FOR EACH PAINT COLOR, YOU COULD ORDER ANY COLOR STRIPE ON ANY COLOR JUDGE. MY STARLIGHT BLACK 69 JUDGE WAS BUILT IN JUNE AND HAS THE YELLOW/RED/BLACK STRIPES

Old 12-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Senior Chief

Yes they were just the factory recommended color combo,but you could get another.My car is windward blue and the factory recommended strip for the blue cars was Yellow/red/blue.But mine was ordered with the White/red/black stripe.

1998 Trans Am WS6
2005 GTO M6
Old 12-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could the stripe package be ordered on a regular GTO, or was this something that was limited to the Judge only.
I have a '69 GTO that I thought would look a little better with the wing, and possibly stripes, but not looking to build a clone of any sort.
In previous years, I would have found this to be blasphemy, but maybe it's okay?

Old 12-11-2002, 05:32 PM
On Vacation

"Rally stripes" (1969) could be ordered on a non-judge GTO. In 1969(UPC V82, POF 642) In 1970 "Body Accent Stripes" (UPC D98, POF 422). The rear spoiler was available both years. Later tests showed that the 1969 rear spoiler did the exact opposite of its intended use. It adversely effected handling.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info-

So, now with my new spoiler, existing redline bias tires, and local 110 octane, I can really experience how these cars acted in the '60's.

Will have to grow mutton chops, and purchase a set of Chuck Taylor to get the full effect. haha

Old 12-13-2002, 10:24 AM
On Vacation

The stripes in 1969 were those that ran along the lower portion of the car. They are not Judge stripes for a standard GTO, as was the case for 1970.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:25 PM

We are currently doing a March-built '69 Carousel Red Judge with the blue stripes. I'm pretty sure they are original, unless the car was restored, then parked about twenty-five years ago. Anyway, is anybody sure about the spoilers on '69's? Two of us got bumped out of classes at POCI this past year because we had spoilers on our non-Judge cars. We were told that they were unavailable. I had no idea one way or the other. Mine was an add-on, so I didn't contest it. Did fine in the class they put me in, the bi**h that contested me lost anyway. Never fails, try to have fun and somebody has to spoil it. I'd like any info to document if anyone has proof-positive or first hand info. Thanx. Ron

Old 01-12-2003, 04:55 PM
On Vacation

After looking over the information again it appears that the "air-foil spoiler" wasn't available in 1969 on a non-Judge car. It only became an option in 1970 and 1971 on a non-Judge.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

THE SPOILER( AIR FOIL ) WAS AVAILABLE AS A DEALER INSTALLED OPTION. PART #988719 FOR HARDTOP AND PART #988718 FOR CONVERT. PRICE WAS $75.00 FOR BOTH PART NUMBERS.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:54 PM
On Vacation

You could have just about anything installed at a dealer, but it wasn't considered a dealer-installed option. The "chrome hood retainers" (hood pins) were a true dealer installed option. Many Pontiac dealers also would provide Hurst Wheels but are not considered stock even though Pontiac promoted them.

Old 01-14-2003, 07:01 AM

From my experience, if you could not "check it off" on the order sheet, you won't get away with calling it an option. Judges with trim rings being the only possible exception that I've encountered. Otherwise, my two-barrel air conditioned '69 ragtop would have that "dealer installed" Muncie! Might anyway, who knows. Nothing like a four speed ragtop, and I DO have that rock crusher on the stand. Besides, the car is far from original right now. I guess that they only made 216 of these for a reason. Two-barrel GTO...what were they thinking? But I digress. Anyway, thanx for the input. Ron

Old 08-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Whats the #'s on the Data Plate?

Old 08-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JKGTO:
THE SPOILER( AIR FOIL ) WAS AVAILABLE AS A DEALER INSTALLED OPTION. PART #988719 FOR HARDTOP AND PART #988718 FOR CONVERT. PRICE WAS $75.00 FOR BOTH PART NUMBERS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These dealer-installed options should be referred to as dealer-installed ACCESSORIES. Would a car be moved to the modified class for having such dealer-installed items as a litter container, fire extinguisher, child safety seat or compass? The item in question, the deck lid air foil, was also available as an accessory in 1969 and could have been installed by the dealer even before the original owner took delivery. For that reason, I think that if a part or package was listed in the Package Accessory Price List, and is correct for that year car, it should be allowed on a restored vehicle.
How can a judge (or a judging committee) determine if an air conditioning system, power brakes, power steering, superlift shocks, a hood-mounted tach, or the deck lid air foil is a factory-installed option or a dealer-installed accessory?
Ron, you were wronged big time.