Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-25-2007, 12:27 PM

Default "Temporary" Brake Line Fix?

Ack. One of my brake lines broke--right at a clip on the rear axle. It was rusted there.

I just sold my car & I'm waiting for the buyer to come get it. I need to get it out of my yard and onto a trailer (then off the trailer once he gets it).

I know that this isn't recommended, but could the line be patched with some type of fitting as a temporary measure?

Or, can I disconnect that line (above the axle to the wheel) and plug the fitting, leaving three functional wheels (brakes)?

The car will NOT be driven like this other than onto and off of the trailer. I will talk to the buyer as well, but can either of the above be done?

If you're wondering why I don't just replace the line, it is because the car is in an odd position and on a slight grade, so I can't move it; and the fittings are rusty and will be difficult to remove. I'd rather get it to the buyer and let him make the repair with the proper tools than to struggle with it and strip out fittings or make things worse.

Help? Thanks,

Brian

Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the front brakse should still work although the pedal will be low.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Use the e/brake

Brian,

to the Forums.

The e/brake should be adequate for the purpose of driving the car on and off the trailer.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrian
Ack. One of my brake lines broke--right at a clip on the rear axle. It was rusted there.

I just sold my car & I'm waiting for the buyer to come get it. I need to get it out of my yard and onto a trailer (then off the trailer once he gets it).

I know that this isn't recommended, but could the line be patched with some type of fitting as a temporary measure?

Or, can I disconnect that line (above the axle to the wheel) and plug the fitting, leaving three functional wheels (brakes)?

The car will NOT be driven like this other than onto and off of the trailer. I will talk to the buyer as well, but can either of the above be done?

If you're wondering why I don't just replace the line, it is because the car is in an odd position and on a slight grade, so I can't move it; and the fittings are rusty and will be difficult to remove. I'd rather get it to the buyer and let him make the repair with the proper tools than to struggle with it and strip out fittings or make things worse.

Help? Thanks,

Brian
Just plug off the one brake circuit and you're good to go.

I had to do this once over 20 years ago when I was many miles from home on a '66 Mustang. One front rubber brake hose failed while I was at a swap meet. My friend scoured the swapmeet for something I could use to plug off the front brake circuit on the passenger side.

Driving home was hairy, had to drive very carefully and avoid hard braking as the car would pull hard to the left.

Getting it on and off the trailer with only 3 brakes working will be a piece of cake.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

fold the line over several times. Won't leak.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM

I just spent two hours upside down under the car. I managed to break the bleeder and both fittings free, and the line is off. I ran out & got a replacement line, and the damn fittings won't thread in. Best I can tell is that they're a metric thread. The thread pattern matches, but the fittings seem to be just a hair too large. The hex is 10mm, where the old fittings were 3/8.

It's never easy. Back to the parts store.

Brian

Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just crimp the line shut with a pair of vice grips. That will work well enough to get it on the trailer.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:32 PM

I was right--they gave me metric line/fittings. I took it back and got the correct US fittings & I'll put the new line on tomorrow. Thanks to all for the suggestions...

Brian

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a note...the correct name for the fittings is inverted thread. Usually it's a 3/16" inverted thread, but some are 1/4".

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Suspended

Spray break cleaner up in the line. Fill it with J.B. Weld and fold the line over and squeez it flat. Kink it with a pair of wire cutters then fold it over a few more times. Make sure they pay cash and the title is signed. and you probably want the car already parked in the street when the come to pick it up. may be move your other cars further up the block or around the corner. You may even consider parking the old whore across the street in front of the neigbors house. In the airline industry we used a tug to move em around.