Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

To help give this forum a hearbeat again, i have been reading these posts from the first to get caught up (too damn many)

I seen a post around the 50 page or so on the intake exhaust crossover in regards to the factory possibly maskin them off. for debate and hopefully alittle conversation, this 71 i have, i notice paint on the crossover shield and some on the choke housing with alittle going up the choke lever. I have seen this once before on a 71 judge.

So since i found it that way i painted it that way...thoughts??

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

formula400, went and looked at pics on page 50 and read thru comments on the posts.

The bare crossover being painted heavily with thick black heat paint, haven't seen it on a low mile original engine. Have seen a thin black coating on two nos later date cast exhaust crossovers (both '69-71's). Mind you, they were service parts and the reasoning behind the coating was to not show surface rust after sitting forever at parts dist facility. My take on the thick black heat paint on the bare crossover, is someone painted it that way after the car was new.

On original crossover shields, have ran across a few with a thin black original coating. As they are stainless, there was no reason to coat them at supplier plant to keep them from rusting, so no idea what was up with that. They were on relatively original cars, so... Have also examined a few low mile original cars where there was no black hue on the clamshell type shields. Multiple production runs, multiple finishes???

Paint... On my most original & document-able '71, there is no '71-early '73 paint on the original choke stove, or was there any on any of the orig carb linkage. On my '72 T/A, the choke stove on the crossover currently has a bunch of blue paint on it, but the choke stove is not orig to the car (came off a '71 GP YS 400), I pieced the choke stove & elbow for this car.

Back on page 50, noticed several comments on the removed 71 exhaust system. The flat spotted head pipes appear original, at least further back. My only question was the design of the front of the headpipe. I guess I cannot remember examining an original '70-72 Firebird roundport headpipe. Thought it odd there was a flange just a few feet back. The later SD version uses a piece of mandrel bent pipe kicking back from the manifold outlet, & is it is factory (supplier) welded to the remainder of (flatspotted) head pipe, which is quite long. this headpipe then slides into the beginning of the pipe that goes to the crossflow muffler. Would love to hear more comments about this 70-72 F headpipe.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
formula400, went and looked at pics on page 50 and read thru comments on the posts.

The bare crossover being painted heavily with thick black heat paint, haven't seen it on a low mile original engine. Have seen a thin black coating on two nos later date cast exhaust crossovers (both '69-71's). Mind you, they were service parts and the reasoning behind the coating was to not show surface rust after sitting forever at parts dist facility. My take on the thick black heat paint on the bare crossover, is someone painted it that way after the car was new.

On original crossover shields, have ran across a few with a thin black original coating. As they are stainless, there was no reason to coat them at supplier plant to keep them from rusting, so no idea what was up with that. They were on relatively original cars, so... Have also examined a few low mile original cars where there was no black hue on the clamshell type shields. Multiple production runs, multiple finishes???

Paint... On my most original & document-able '71, there is no '71-early '73 paint on the original choke stove, or was there any on any of the orig carb linkage. On my '72 T/A, the choke stove on the crossover currently has a bunch of blue paint on it, but the choke stove is not orig to the car (came off a '71 GP YS 400), I pieced the choke stove & elbow for this car.

Back on page 50, noticed several comments on the removed 71 exhaust system. The flat spotted head pipes appear original, at least further back. My only question was the design of the front of the headpipe. I guess I cannot remember examining an original '70-72 Firebird roundport headpipe. Thought it odd there was a flange just a few feet back. The later SD version uses a piece of mandrel bent pipe kicking back from the manifold outlet, & is it is factory (supplier) welded to the remainder of (flatspotted) head pipe, which is quite long. this headpipe then slides into the beginning of the pipe that goes to the crossflow muffler. Would love to hear more comments about this 70-72 F headpipe.
The headpipes were from a mid December build 72 W66 with TH 400.

Perhaps the stick cars got different plumbing? (need to check the parts book)

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
The headpipes were from a mid December build 72 W66 with TH 400.

Perhaps the stick cars got different plumbing? (need to check the parts book)
2many, your headpipes look just like mine. I'll attach a not-so-great photo but you'll get the idea. Pretty flat in spots. The set on my car were purchased from GM parts and installed on my car about 1980 or '81. I had them out again about ten years ago, sandblasted and painted with high temp paint. The headpipes go back to about the rear footwell. There is a junction and then another pair go up and over the axle. If memory serves only the headpipes were unique to RA manifold cars. No difference between automatic and manual trans. The over-the-axle pipes, muffler and tailpipes were common with all dual exhaust Firebirds of the era (except SD which had the extra resonators in the forward part of the over-the-axle pipes).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipes.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	268304  

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

don't die H.O forum !!!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
OK!
Have you still got that GREEN "girly car"?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Have you still got that GREEN "girly car"?
It's Salsa Red now! Whoo-hoo!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
It's Salsa Red now! Whoo-hoo!
With PINK seat covers & hello kitty floormats,right?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey! You on the right. Get back in line!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hot about this little nugget....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270903715515...84.m1426.l2649

Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In 81, we got the word to clean out some parts that were 10 years old. I wasnt busy and ended up in parts that two days and I know we tossed a couple of the heat cross overs for HO engines ( looked like an e coat on them) we tossed Idle solenoids, choke stoves, LOTS of em..71-72 emissions stuff. tossed a few rear alt brackets for big amp alternators, and at least 2 HO SR blocks.
I should have grabbed them, oh well... I did get a couple formula air cleaners though.
A stack of the front air deflectors were tossed ( hooks to top of rad support)
a few lower valences, and about 20 plastic ones with warranty tags on them.
Loads of spark plus too.. most all got a heat upgrade and were warranty as the cars didnt ship with the cold weather package as they were supposed to.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Chief

I can remember going into the dealership to get parts for my 68 firebird. Even then (79)many parts on this "old" car were NLA No Longer Available. I had heard romours that they threw stuff out. It was hard to believe that the parts I could barely afford one day were thrown out the next.
A friend who worked there said that engines that came in for warenty replacement were busted with a sledge hammer no matter what was wrong with them.
When I found out that they made front fenders again, I bought a set. That was in about 82. I Still have them in boxes.
Ken
My HO back then was a 350HO

Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
I can remember going into the dealership to get parts for my 68 firebird. Even then (79)many parts on this "old" car were NLA No Longer Available. I had heard romours that they threw stuff out. It was hard to believe that the parts I could barely afford one day were thrown out the next.
A friend who worked there said that engines that came in for warranty replacement were busted with a sledge hammer no matter what was wrong with them.
When I found out that they made front fenders again, I bought a set. That was in about 82. I Still have them in boxes.
Ken
My HO back then was a 350HO
we were supposed to "break" the engine blocks but most were just taken on fork truck outside to a big metal pile and sat there. For a while we had a pile of chevy "quaker state oil" blocks out there too. After a while, GM sent blocks only and we did a rebuild right there
We had a few Pontiac engine complete minus carb due to oil leaks, and one HO had a knock.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Senior Chief

For a while we had a pile of chevy "quaker state oil" blocks out there too
What are quacker state oil blocks?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM

lol what about a 70 ta ra4 4 speed lol all numbers matching

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
For a while we had a pile of chevy "quaker state oil" blocks out there too
What are quacker state oil blocks?
YOU changed QUAKER into QUACKER

In the early 80's QUAKER STATE oil ( Pa. oil) has some issues and thousands of engines got ruined by it and were replaced or repaired under warranty.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It's Official!

good news tonight...... after years of trying, I am happy to say that I'm now the Official Registered Owner of 455HO.com!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW. How cool is that

Congratulations