Old 08-10-2023, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What is the value of a '62 Bonneville convertible?

I have an opportunity to buy one, but I really don't have any idea what a good deal would be. It is basically complete. 389 Auto. Floors are probably rough considering storage conditions for many years. This is the only picture I have at present.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	365958743_24379048401694079_2707780556041941967_n.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	617819  

The Following User Says Thank You to justincampbell For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 03:15 PM

Does the motor turn over? Trans any good?

IMHO, unless this is the car of your dreams, you'd be way better off buying a much better car to start with, no matter what the sell price is.

I speak from some knowledge, having bought a 63 Bonne wagon and having spent much time, effort and money chasing parts!

All that being said, if you want it, go for it. Without knowing more about the condition, I think about 2-3k as it sits.

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 08-10-2023, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Without a top, the floors and trunk are most likely completely gone, so it will be a lot of work. On the other hand the trim looks complete and the chrome appears to be okay for a driver quality car. $2-3k as mentioned is probably top dollar.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
Does the motor turn over? Trans any good?

James Q
I am assuming the motor is stuck. The guy I have been in touch with is selling for an older friend who doesn't use the internet much. The actual owner is supposed to call me in the next day or two.

I really don't care for convertibles. But, it is nearby and I figured if I could get a good deal I may be able to make a buck or use it as trading stock for a car or bike that I do want. Worse case scenario and I have it around for a while, at least it's a Pontiac.

The Following User Says Thank You to justincampbell For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you may have trouble getting your money back if you try to part it out unless you get it VERY cheap. I have a 1962 and parts aren't that had to find so they aren't really expensive. It appears to have a power antenna so if it works it's worth a few bucks. As far as fixing it don't waste your time and money.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I probably wouldn't give more than $500 for that car. More if the engine is a 425a and still has the original 425a stuff on it. It would cost a fortune to do that car and years to find the components needed to do it, and then when finished it would only be worth ?? 40k tops.. Just my opinion.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

EXACTLY! As a parts car, looks like there are a few good trinkets on it. There are 2 62's for sale on the forum right now that look like an incredible deal and value and you would have something really special when done IMO. Both of them are selling for asking prices 1/3 of what it would cost to fix up a rough one. JMO

Old 08-11-2023, 12:06 PM

Even if you got it for free you’d have a hard time making a buck on it no matter how you slice it.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I probably wouldn't give more than $500 for that car.
That's kind of what I was thinking. But, wanted other's opinions before I made an offer.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking. But, wanted other's opinions before I made an offer.
Based upon the one image that you posted, what you are thinking is good: $500 at most. The seller probably would be delighted if he sold the car for $2,000-to-$3,000.

Whether you decide to pursue or not pursue the Bonneville depends upon what your goal is for it. If your goal is a car that is structurally sound, mechanically safe and reliable, that can be driven locally for pleasure, the car looks like it will be a challenge. To say nothing about the car's aesthetic needs. As you certainly are aware, every system and surface will need attention. Vehicles in the same or worse condition, however, have been totally restored or just returned to the road as safe, reliable drivers. If you have the time, and are up to and will enjoy the challenge of waking up this old Bonneville from its long Iowa slumber, then pursue it. You will be preserving another old Pontiac and returning it to the road.

Imagine a relaxing drive around Saylorville Lake on a future, mild, sunny Sunday afternoon. For this, at least initially, no convertible top, gleaming paint or chrome are needed. Just a safe, reliable old Wide Track. You may change your mind about convertibles.

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2023, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These cars are expensive to restore under the best of circumstances....that one would cost a fortune....been down that road. Perhaps they will give it to you?