Old 11-05-2023, 10:52 AM

Default 69 gto fan shroud question

I bought a original Pontiac fan shroud that looked right for this car. I fits perfect . But the fan wont fit. I even tried a 17 inch fan and it still hits the bottom of the shroud. It looks the same as what I could order on line. Is there a number stamped any where on the shrouds that would tell what it is off of? 400 engine standard mounts everything as it should be. I just don't want to pay for another and have it not fit. Did this engine have a clutch fan and what is the proper size fan.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There should be a number molded into it near bottom if remembering correctly.

Seems like near bottom edge or maybe on sides.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What shape are your body bushings, motor and trans mounts? I had this issue myself a while back and ended up using the motor mount spacers from Mike Spizziri

Old 11-05-2023, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The standard fan on a 69 GTO was a 19" 5 blade flex fan with a 19.5" declutching 7 blade fan optional (standard with AC). The fan shroud was designed in a way that the fan was several inches below the top of the shroud but very close at the bottom. As mentioned any issues with engine mounts, bent frame rails or even trans mounts can cause the fan to hit the shroud near the bottom.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 11-05-2023, 04:10 PM

Everything is new. The car was a shell to start so replaced everything. Most parts from Aims, OPGI etc. I will post a picture and also look for numbers when I can. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"New" Taiwaan coresupport?
Measure the thickness of the trans mount?

Old 11-05-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
"New" Taiwaan coresupport?
Measure the thickness of the trans mount?
Original core support. The only after market panel on the car is a right side front fender from AMD that fit like garbage. New body mount bushings and motor mounts as well as transmission mount. I will measure the transmission mount.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to orangegtojudge

Something to take a look at. On two of my 69 Judges the frame was bent up toward the floor board where the trans cross member bolts to the frame. This change in geometry caused the fan to rub on the bottom of the shroud. I built a tool to bring the frame back into position and flatten it out in this area.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:59 PM

This is the shroud I have. I did find this number 480399.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0661.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	622975   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0662.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	622976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0663.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	622977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0664.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	622978  

Old 11-07-2023, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't see the top view of where the drivers side radiator tank slides in w the insulator. If it has the cutout at the back of that upper insulator area, its a very late '70 model- 72 Pontiac V8 A-body shroud. There were 3 & 4 core versions. Going back to the '69 models, they had an molded "wing" on drivers side that wrapped underneath the radiator hose. The later shrouds will work in a '69 GTO or LeMans but will not have the "wing feature".

Fanshroud interference at the bottom of the shroud typ results from one or more of the following:
-frame cradle sag in the frame crossmember, remedy is another frame OR the spacers under the engine mount stands.
-too thick of trans mount or other issue raising the pickup point of the crossmember. Was an issue for quite a while with aftermarket trans mounts.
-incorrect core support insulators or positioning
-HopSing core support with improperly positioned lower rail. Very common issue since the repop core support was introduced.

Typically, a used core support with rusty holes & fairly rotted well used core support insulators will cause the core support to settle some & that will result in bottom of fan shroud being lower.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Can't see the top view of where the drivers side radiator tank slides in w the insulator. If it has the cutout at the back of that upper insulator area, its a very late '70 model- 72 Pontiac V8 A-body shroud. There were 3 & 4 core versions. Going back to the '69 models, they had an molded "wing" on drivers side that wrapped underneath the radiator hose. The later shrouds will work in a '69 GTO or LeMans but will not have the "wing feature".

Fanshroud interference at the bottom of the shroud typ results from one or more of the following:
-frame cradle sag in the frame crossmember, remedy is another frame OR the spacers under the engine mount stands.
-too thick of trans mount or other issue raising the pickup point of the crossmember. Was an issue for quite a while with aftermarket trans mounts.
-incorrect core support insulators or positioning
-HopSing core support with improperly positioned lower rail. Very common issue since the repop core support was introduced.

Typically, a used core support with rusty holes & fairly rotted well used core support insulators will cause the core support to settle some & that will result in bottom of fan shroud being lower.
Thanks for all the help! I will start with the transmission mount however the core support bushings were of coarse aftermarket as well. And I had to mess around with them to get the fenders to line up at the top by the door. They are very close now. I know the frame is good I did frame off and it don't have any issues. Worse case I can go electric with the fan but I hate to. I am old school and I like things like they should be.
Again thanks and I will keep trying.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you have the core support bushings in the right configuration with the right pieces above and below the frame. I had to crank mine down pretty tight to get everything in the right place.