Old 09-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi guys,

I'm helping a friend put his 69 Ram IV GTO back together. The motor is in and I ran into a problem with the wiring to the starter.

He purchased the sheet metal sleeve that screws onto the motor mount to protect the starter wiring from the exhaust manifolds. He also purchased a reproduction battery for his application.

The problem is that the starter solenoid wires are about 3" from the tube. The battery cables have a straight lug on the end. I know the factory lugs were angled, and had the little tab to orient it relative to the solenoid. This reproduction cable doesn't have that feature.

I bent the lug at about a 60 degree angle and installed the starter. When installing the starter, it bent it almost 90 and you could see where the metal was separated. I pulled the starter back off rather than risk having the lug break off entirely.

What do you guys do for starter cables? Can you buy new starter cables with angled lugs? Maybe if I bought a better grade cable and formed the lug I might have better luck.

I'd like to hear how you guys got around this problem. It's awful tight around those manifolds.

Mike

Old 09-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi guys,

I'm helping a friend put his 69 Ram IV GTO back together. The motor is in and I ran into a problem with the wiring to the starter.

He purchased the sheet metal sleeve that screws onto the motor mount to protect the starter wiring from the exhaust manifolds. He also purchased a reproduction battery for his application.

The problem is that the starter solenoid wires are about 3" from the tube. The battery cables have a straight lug on the end. I know the factory lugs were angled, and had the little tab to orient it relative to the solenoid. This reproduction cable doesn't have that feature.

I bent the lug at about a 60 degree angle and installed the starter. When installing the starter, it bent it almost 90 and you could see where the metal was separated. I pulled the starter back off rather than risk having the lug break off entirely.

What do you guys do for starter cables? Can you buy new starter cables with angled lugs? Maybe if I bought a better grade cable and formed the lug I might have better luck.

I'd like to hear how you guys got around this problem. It's awful tight around those manifolds.

Mike

Old 09-07-2004, 08:28 AM
Senior Chief

The metal sleeve is incorrect for Ram Air applications. Ram Air III's had a single clip that resembles a firewall loop style wire retainer and Ram Air IV's got two of these clips one was a little larger than the other.

Mike

Old 09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Poncho-Mike,
Check out page 392 of the GTO Restoration Guide. If you don't have it, I can fax a copy of the page to you tomorrow.

Frank

Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,

I haven't got the restoration guide. I'm mostly into 70-74 Firebird and 71-72 A-body.

My friend is working with Ames to put his car back together. When he got it, it was minus correct engine. I sold him a 69 WW Ram IV that was out of a wrecked Judge for his car. The amazing thing is that the Judge and his car were made one week apart and are very close in VIN. The motor was missing all of the smaller items such as those clips. By the time I got the motor, it was in a 69 Firebird and was running headers. It was minus correct dist, carb, and ram air manifolds. He has relied on Ames to supply him with all of the unique Ram IV stuff.

This "sleeve" is about 4" long and is oval in shape. It screws onto the driver's side motor mount.

Based on what you guys are telling me, this isn't the right part for a 69 Ram IV? What does it fit?

Can somebody scan me the page, I can't get faxes here at home.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
Ames lists a part like that for the 67-69 RA/HO cars, but that's not waht the resotration guide shows. i do have that sleeve on my 1967 GTO 400 HO car.

I don't have a scanner, but tried taking some shots of the page. Check out:
Ram Air starter wiring harness

Frank

Old 09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
Dependong on your Operating System, when you click on the picture to enlarge, it will only scale it to fit your screen. If you are using XP, put yur mouse on the picture and a little box with blue arrows coming out of it will appear in the lower right corner. Click this box and it will blow up the picture to full size. I think you can see the details pretty well at full size. If you need me to email you the pics, let me know.

Frank

Old 09-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The metal sleeve was used on the 69 cars as my 69 RAIV car has one on it. May have gone to the clips in 70 as it was a b_tch to install the starter when using that sleeve. Jim

Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are working on a work-around. We took the original cable and went to a shop that rebuilds electricals for commercial equipment. They installed a copper lug which was a thicker material and capable of bending 90 degrees.

Thanks for the photos. I had a 69 Ram III a number of years ago, and I really don't remember what it had on there.

Mike