Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi All,
My name is Jim Pettinato. I'm a long time 74 GTO owner and Pontiac enthusiast from Northeastern PA. At one point I owned 3 of these beauties, along with a bunch of other Pontiacs.
I'm looking for some advice on my car.

The '74 GTO that I still have, I have owned since aroun 1978. It was literally my first car. It was found abandoned in the back row of a used car lot back then, not running. I took out a loan and bought it. I since nursed it back to good health, installed a rebuilt 1970 vintage 400ci with many performance upgrades, new pistons, etc. Its a modified car, not bad modified, all bolt on stuff, but not a bone stocker by any means.

The car has been in my garage since 1979, I used to drive it all the time on weekends, sunny sundays, cruise nights, car shows, etc. About 10 years ago I got into road racing and sadly the GTO has become the forgotten child to my road race cars.

I am pondering selling it, not sure what the market is like on these cars.
Are they more valuable BONE stock?
Would something like mine be desireable at all?
I may just keep it,,, but selling it has crossed my mind more times than not over the past couple years.
It is a great car, I just never haave time for playing with it anymore. When the nice weather comes I'm off to the race track and the old girl just sits alot. I feel like someone might enjoy it, rather than it sitting in my garage.

I guess I'm looking for some advice or thoughts on these cars from people who know them. I love the car,,, If I sell it, I'd love for it to go to somone who actually knows these cars and understands how rare and neat they are.

I searched for 1974 Pontiac GTO and this site seemed to be the best for sure (16 pages of pictures wow).

If I were to sell it, what would you think I should do:
A) Try to get it back to as stock as possible?
B) Take the cover off, polish her up and try to sell as is with the go fast mods?

Mine is the "Fire Coral" color. Its an original hatchback, 4 speed car. Originally came with white interior, but I later installed a black one. I still have the white pieces that would go with it.

Anyone have any advice or input I'd love to hear it. If I am posting in the wrong area for questions like this, please aim me to the right area.
Thanks in advance.
Glad to be part of your board.
Cheers
Jimmy Pettinato
Scranton, PA USA

Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi All,
My name is Jim Pettinato. I'm a long time 74 GTO owner and Pontiac enthusiast from Northeastern PA. At one point I owned 3 of these beauties, along with a bunch of other Pontiacs.
I'm looking for some advice on my car.

The '74 GTO that I still have, I have owned since aroun 1978. It was literally my first car. It was found abandoned in the back row of a used car lot back then, not running. I took out a loan and bought it. I since nursed it back to good health, installed a rebuilt 1970 vintage 400ci with many performance upgrades, new pistons, etc. Its a modified car, not bad modified, all bolt on stuff, but not a bone stocker by any means.

The car has been in my garage since 1979, I used to drive it all the time on weekends, sunny sundays, cruise nights, car shows, etc. About 10 years ago I got into road racing and sadly the GTO has become the forgotten child to my road race cars.

I am pondering selling it, not sure what the market is like on these cars.
Are they more valuable BONE stock?
Would something like mine be desireable at all?
I may just keep it,,, but selling it has crossed my mind more times than not over the past couple years.
It is a great car, I just never haave time for playing with it anymore. When the nice weather comes I'm off to the race track and the old girl just sits alot. I feel like someone might enjoy it, rather than it sitting in my garage.

I guess I'm looking for some advice or thoughts on these cars from people who know them. I love the car,,, If I sell it, I'd love for it to go to somone who actually knows these cars and understands how rare and neat they are.

I searched for 1974 Pontiac GTO and this site seemed to be the best for sure (16 pages of pictures wow).

If I were to sell it, what would you think I should do:
A) Try to get it back to as stock as possible?
B) Take the cover off, polish her up and try to sell as is with the go fast mods?

Mine is the "Fire Coral" color. Its an original hatchback, 4 speed car. Originally came with white interior, but I later installed a black one. I still have the white pieces that would go with it.

Anyone have any advice or input I'd love to hear it. If I am posting in the wrong area for questions like this, please aim me to the right area.
Thanks in advance.
Glad to be part of your board.
Cheers
Jimmy Pettinato
Scranton, PA USA

Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

You'll get usable feedback by posting this exact message (cut and paste) in the "Lobby" forum near the bottom of the index of forums.

When you've decided what to do and how much you want for the car, post it in the forum titled "61-77 GTO LeMans & Tempests FOR SALE".

Welcome to the site and good luck!

Old 02-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Thanks Bill.
Will do.

Its great seeing all this Pontiac chatter on here. I have missed being around Poncho fans with my "new" hobby.

Its a whole world I had almost forgotten. Kinda makes me really want to keep the car haha.

Cheers
jimmy

Old 04-10-2005, 04:07 PM

hey ive got my first car also a 74 gto,bought it 16 yrs ago, as far as what they are worth and how rare they are i have a couple of friends who are collectors of pontiacs,guys with 6 plus cars each super duty ta's, judges etc etc. while they realize how rare they are the dollar value seems to be consiterably lower than cars like i mentioned, most of the collector types want "all original" everything even at that these guys dont seem to think they are worth much. Id say if you want to sell it just get what you can get, i dont know if that helps much but seeing these millionare guys collect all these cars and talk about all these cars gives me some insight anyway. just a blue collar guy here, hey do you have any of the white interior pc,s left? im thinking of going to white interior when i get it painted, would be interested in white parts if ya got any left
my email is yoyx2@CS.COM

Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

Jimmy where were you a year ago LOL!! I'm in the middle of a resoration of my 74 right now. I looked for about 10 yrs before i found one. I had a firecoral bronze in highschool myself. I went in the military and my brother traded it in on a pickup GRRRRRR. I would have like to had that car back but this one is almost done. A little paint and body and i'm finished. As far as prices go they range anywhere from 800 to 8000 it really depends who wants it and how bad... I bought mine for 800 bucks but she was in really bad shape as you can see in these pic.....http://www.putfile.com/t2lamb/images/129154
But she's coming together now... Keep her I would!!!!
cya
T

Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jimmy is it a factory A/C car?

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 02-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPC-WU2
Jimmy is it a factory A/C car?
Jimmy hasn't visited here since 3-07-2005, so I doubt he'll see any of your posts and answer them.

Holy old thread Batman!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what happened to Jimmy????