67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:51 PM

Default 1969 Firebird Dash Wiring questions...

I previously posted some of this as an additional reply under another thread which was mostly ignored so I figured it needs to be standalone. My question is after reviewing the laminated color-coded wiring diagram, the assembly manual, GM Repair manual and a trusty 40+ yr old Chilton's from my first Firebird (68), I a need some firsthand confirmation on the following:

Pic attached shows a Gray wire w/white plug - Some Wire diagrams suggest this is Rheostat control but for what I don't know

The other post stated the Orange/black with the blue connector is for a clock which my car also does not have...so unless that's wrong... mystery solved.

Finally, does anyone know where I can find the correct cigarette lighter retainer to accept the little bullet light shown in the picture or do I just stay with my home engineered dremel trimmed slots and thank the one size fits all aftermarket industry for selling a "correct for 69" being not so much....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000003787.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	627635  

Old 01-31-2024, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is just a guess on my part.

The grays are usually dash lights, so maybe heater light or lighter light.
I'd say it's for the heater light.
Along with the orange wire, power to the lighter.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Grey's in the dash are all lighting and are all at some point or another connected to the rheostat on the headlight switch. That connector somewhat leads me to believe it's for the floor shift illumination. If your car is column shift, or manual, it may be a termination without use. It can however be used to connect additional illumination.

Orange wire with blue connector is the clock.

My understanding is the large gauge orange wire with black connector is for the power top relay on convertibles.

I'm of no help on the bullet light. I had the same issue.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:51 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Grey's in the dash are all lighting and are all at some point or another connected to the rheostat on the headlight switch. That connector somewhat leads me to believe it's for the floor shift illumination.
OK, thanks that makes sense.

Quote:
If your car is column shift, or manual, it may be a termination without use. It can however be used to connect additional illumination.
Great idea on the added illumination! The car is a no console manual floor shift so just like the clock wire as you noted, it's confirmed to not currently be of any use

Quote:
Orange wire with blue connector is the clock.
Appreciate the sanity check

Quote:
I'm of no help on the bullet light. I had the same issue.
I guess we have to appreciate the aftermarket for what they do provide! As I mentioned, I went ahead and dremeled two slits and drilled a 3/16 " hole for the "light"