Old 04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
If you are gonna put a 350 poncho in it, you might as well go 400 or 455 Poncho. They all look the same.
But then I'd have to swap out the rear end, put a beefier driveshaft in, etc, etc, If I wanted to take full advantage of the 400-455.
Now you have a low production GP that is even less original.
My reasoning wasn't for brute power. A 350 would be a nice improvement in seat of the pants power without having to worry about drive train reliability.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Chief

Olds 260s were only certified to have five speeds, and were rare. After dropping manuals in 73/74 mid sized cars, after the first gas crisis, GM brought 4 speeds back for 75-78. But buyers were 'addicted' to autos and they ended up selling in tiny #'s.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoland View Post
Olds 260s were only certified to have five speeds, and were rare.
I think you mean 5-speeds were only certified to go behind Olds 260s (in mid-size cars). Those 5-speeds were easily the weakest manual GM offered during that era.