Old 11-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, it's great to hear your getting your car back.I can't believe it had to go through Macon on the way to Savannah.I wonder if they were driving your car around in Savannah.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

sweet ya got your back, but what do you do now that the vins been tampered? can you have yours put back on or do you gotta have a state issue vin?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Apparentlt the thieves used a VIN from a 79 Pontiac but it came back as a 4 door. That is what made the cops dig deeper. I can't wait to get down there and see how good (or bad) it is. The detective said there were no dents so maybe it will be OK. Wish me luck, thanks. -Jim

Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
sweet ya got your back, but what do you do now that the vins been tampered? can you have yours put back on or do you gotta have a state issue vin?
I am really not sure what has to happen now with the VIN deal. Maybe they just stuck another VIN over the top of the real one? I don't know. I plan to call the detective tomorrow to discuss this. He sent me an e-mail I need to bring proof of insurance(which we cancelled after it was stolen)? How can I insure it with the wrong VIN? -Jim

Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

Jim,
Still psyched for you! Hopefully they just put the new VIN over the old and a state issed vin wont be necessary. Please keep us posted. very interesting Situation.....I'm on the edge of my seat and please post up some pics of the car as you found it.
Thanks again for sharing!
Josh

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Praise the Lord

I can't tell you how happy I am for you, Jim.

I had been thinking earlier this week, the VIN on my LeSabre T-type has probably been switched. Otherwise, no reason it shouldn't have turned up by now. It's such an easy to spot car. Same deal with your Grand Am.
If the cops would just review a photo folder of the easy to spot stolen vehicles, say once a week, they would see some of them driving around in broad daylight.
They just file the report away & forget about them.

I would like to drive around Chicago & Gary and I bet I would spot my Buick within a few weeks.
Trouble is I'd need to be driving an ex-squad car, and have an AK-47, to feel safe in the hoods I'd have to go through.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting concept. Even if our old Pontiacs get stolen, which I hope never happens, they're at least easy to spot. Congrats, Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
I can't tell you how happy I am for you, Jim.

I had been thinking earlier this week, the VIN on my LeSabre T-type has probably been switched. Otherwise, no reason it shouldn't have turned up by now. It's such an easy to spot car. Same deal with your Grand Am.
If the cops would just review a photo folder of the easy to spot stolen vehicles, say once a week, they would see some of them driving around in broad daylight.
They just file the report away & forget about them.

I would like to drive around Chicago & Gary and I bet I would spot my Buick within a few weeks.
Trouble is I'd need to be driving an ex-squad car, and have an AK-47, to feel safe in the hoods I'd have to go through.
Around here I am not sure a squad car and AK would be enough-LOL. The arresting officer almost let the guys go in my case, the VIN came back as a 4 door, that was there only mistake. Thanks to all, I will post pics when I get her back, maybe Monday If I can get over this flu crap. -Jim

Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Default great news

that is great you can GIVE me your 79 gp to add to my 79 and 80 lol NO JOKING THIS IS GREAT NEWS CHUCK

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Really great news Jim!!
Stealing a car is one thing, altering a VIN is a whole new offense.
I have one car with the VIN almost gone due to rust. Motor Vehichle put their sticker, with my old VIN # on the drivers door jamb. They wanted to put it on the door, but, um, that unbolts.
You should be able to keep the original VIN.

Love the Grand Prix too!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow great to hear you're getting it back.My parents had a car stolen from a mall in the early 70's.It was about a week before X-mas.They got it back but not in the best of shape.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Glad to hear that the car's coming home. The insurance will be no big deal, Just call your agent.They'll be glad to avoid a replacement payout.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, left at 8 AM and made the 5 hour drive(each way -10 total) with the car trailer yesterday to pick her up. The PD had e-mailed me a list of what to bring with me on Friday. Went to the impound yard and dropped of the trailer and then went to PD to get the release. Guess what, car was still listed on the state computer as stolen and the detective that was assigned the case would have to release and he would not be in until 3.30 pm(this was about 1.30 pm). OH well, really didn't suprise me with the incompetence, but now I had 2 hours to kill. Drove out toward Tybee island and discovered Uncle Bubba's Oyster House. All I can say is God wanted me to eat there! Best food in the world! Owned by Paula Deen's brother(Uncle Bubba). OK, finally got the release and went to the yard to load her up, but first must settle with the yard for towing and storage. Keep in mind, they picked the car up on Friday and this is Monday. The fee came to 200 bucks! Oh well, let the raping continue. Made it back to Peachtree City at 10 PM, 14 hours total! Now about the car. The perps were driving the car and were arrested, all the info the cops would tell me is they have several felonies pending. First thing I noticed on the is the red "For Sale" sign in the window! Next thing I notice is the car still has my Tag on it! Found an expired "Tag Applied For" tag in the rear seat, it was from a legitamte dealer but it expired on 10-30 so my guess is the thieves got brave enough and reinstalled the correct tag! That is what helped me get the car back, thank God for stupid!! The impound yard had the keys and that is a good thing because all of the locks, including the ignitioon, doors and trunk had been re-keyed!!! My original keys would not work! Makes me wonder if the thief was also a locksmith? Inside were some real nice clothes from the hood, 9 beers, baby shoes and cigars. Nice combo huh, stolen car with a baby and alcohol. The car overall is in pretty good shape, the tires have the sidewalls really beat up and they have some deep cuts from jumping medians and curbs. The worst part is they yanked back on the dash and slid in a stolen VIN. Also the grills have several on the vertical strips broken and a few small dings. Overall it is not bad considering these Bozos had the car from June 10th until Nov 6th(5 months). The good news is my baby is home! Thanks to all who kept a lookout. -Jim

Old 11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Wow!!! Really glad you got her back home. It's terrible that it ever happened but it sounds like everything is fixable relatively easily and quickly I hope. Get her fixed back the way she was, add some theft deterrent and try to put it behind you.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Awesome! I love recovery stories.

A buddy of mine had his enclosed trailer stolen. With his Chevy II race car inside. We went to the media and they did a story on the car. About a day later, a guy called my buddy, telling him he had some race stuff to sell. Friend meets the guy and low and behold, it was his race helmet, fuel jugs and some tools. My buddy pulls a gun out and tells the guy to take him to the car....LOL! My buddy called his brother, who is a Sheriff. He calls the posse and they all head over to the perps house. Arrested two very bad dudes with extensive records.

As you can see in the pics, there was no way they would have ever found the car. It was hidden in a car port behind a house. The house is on an old farm to market road. And the car was covered up. So you couldn't even see it from the air. And yeah, my buddy hired a guy to fly over the country side to see if he spotted anything.

Tracks where trailer was stuck in the mud...

Car sitting at home with finger print dust all over it. My friend said he will never leave a race car in a trailer again...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In my opinion, the towing and impound fees should be automatically charged to the perps; take it out as restitution. It is BS, that the victim has to pay.
They sure have a thing for running over curbs. I've been seeing alot of that on some other stolen & recovered stories on the internet. I wonder how much of it is not having any respect for other people's property, and how much is plain STUPID.

Jim, I have a spare set of '78 Grand Am grills that I don't think I'll ever need.
They turned up in the bottom of a box that I was going through when I moved from Georgia. Forgot I even had 'em.
Some small bits broken off the back side, maybe one of the mounting holes missing, but the horizontal fins are all intact. One of the colored verticle strips is also missing a few inches. I can email you some pics.
I'll mail them to you if you think you can use them.

Thomas

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
In my opinion, the towing and impound fees should be automatically charged to the perps; take it out as restitution. It is BS, that the victim has to pay.
They sure have a thing for running over curbs. I've been seeing alot of that on some other stolen & recovered stories on the internet. I wonder how much of it is not having any respect for other people's property, and how much is plain STUPID.

Jim, I have a spare set of '78 Grand Am grills that I don't think I'll ever need.
They turned up in the bottom of a box that I was going through when I moved from Georgia. Forgot I even had 'em.
Some small bits broken off the back side, maybe one of the mounting holes missing, but the horizontal fins are all intact. One of the colored verticle strips is also missing a few inches. I can email you some pics.
I'll mail them to you if you think you can use them.

Thomas
Thomas, thank you very much for the offer but I was able to find several of the vertical strips I had forgotten I had. Let me get these grills out and depending how bad they are I might take you up on your offer but I insist on paying enough to make it worth your time. Thanks -Jim

Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Now you 2 cars for your IA headers!!!!!! Glad you got her back!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 PM

Great story!! Very rare in the larger picture that people get their cars back. I knew a retired car theif. Mexican guy. Very interesting to hear him talk about the why's and hows. He was contract to hire guy associated with a body shop. A guy would total out his SUV, or what ever... go to the body shop, shop would pay him, he would go out and steal the exact year make and model that was totalled, return it to the shop, and swap the vin. . . Body shop and owner get to split the insurance pay out. or what ever deal is worked out.

I have the solution to solve 99% of stolen car problems... DeWalt Mobilock in your car. Check it out. I sleep like a baby and take my car out in public with no worries.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim

reading your story and the finding of your car makes me very very happy for you!

makes me reconsider leaving my ride in the driveway (no garage space for it)

That mobilock thing looks quite interesting.

Jim did you have an alarm on your car?