Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Default warped package tray

65 gto package tray has warped, its a repro and has been installed by a pro,what can I do to solve the problem,short of removing it. If it has to be removed what is the fix so it won't happen again.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had 3 repro trays in my 65 over the years,they all warp. And car stays in a dark garage during the week and all winter.

The only fix i know of would be to glue it down.

I have also had the same warp problem with 2 sets of repro 'ear-muffs' for the headliner.
I even glued to sets together to make them thicker and that didnt help. The headliner material also comes loose and bubbles up.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Suspended

Default Fix

Now this is going to sound a bit funny but I found a fix that worked for me. The package shelf on my 73 GTO would not stay flat so I did something that I had seen done on another type of product. I went to the nearest Lowes home center & got 8 of the paint sticks that they give away. When I got my new package shelf I layed it flat on my table & with some Elemers wood glue , you can probley use any good wood glue, glued the wood paint stickes to the back of the shelf in the spots that the last one warpped & let it dry for a day. Then put the insalution pad on the back of the shelf so it would sit flat in the back window. It now sit flat & is very stiff, plus looks like it is made right on the back shelf. Plus because it's a little heavier it doesn't bounce around as much as the old on did. Plus it's been there now for about 2 years & is as flat as the day I put it in. Rex.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have tray number 4 waiting to be installed once i paint the car. Ill have to give the paint sticks a try.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Default Tray

If you arrange the paint stick in just such a manner you can actully hide them in the insulation when you put the insulation in just pull out a layer or two so it is level with the rest of the backing insulation & you will never see it on the back side of the tray.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rex, are they the regular paint sticks for paint or the longer heavy duty sticks used for joint compound? Having the same problem and this sounds like the cure... especially for the mesh package try I have and will be installing.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Suspended

Default Package shelf

GT182, I used the regular type of paint sticks & when I put them down on mine I glued them in like a double W pattern & then a few hozantial on the top edge so it wouldn't fold up at the edge closest to the window because of the heat. but yes just get the thin regular sytle paint stick from your local hadrwaere store , like lowes or menards , mostly because the'll just give you the paint sticks free. But yes it woeked very good for me so far & mines been down for quite a while. Just let the paint sticks dry flat too. I used some patio bricks to hold them in place while they layed on the floor nice & flat. Then after they dry it's very stiff & when you put it in it stays right where you put it.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can always put a layer of shag carpeting on there that accents the interior then install a pair of Kraco 6x9 speakers.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Suspended

If thats what works for you but some of us like or cars correct & nice looking, but if you like that style go for it. I can guess from you screen name your car probley fit your personallity.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a joke, wish you took it that way.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Boss I'm sorry I took it wrong but it seems latly that when I've said something there are some on here that no matter how it was said I got a special message from one who acts like he has the power of g**. I'm sorry & feel bad now because reading it the first time I did take it as a joke but from the bad experience lately I took it wrong so I' truely am sorry. After all back in the day that would have been the fix & the look. Rex.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was in my car Rex!

Back in 1983 when I bought my 77 Formula, there was nobody reproducing package trays and that baby blue & white sculptured shag that was leftover from my neighbor's rec room remodel fit the bill.

Times were a lot simpler, & I've gotten caught up in that numbers matching and date correct thing too & have a few nice cars to show for it, but there is a part of me that misses 1983.

Thanks for the response and the valuable tech fix, I'll likely try it myself.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Senior Chief

paint sticks, huh. wish i would have known that.

new perforated package tray is in from PY and it is now warped!

Too bad a note is not included explaining this apparent common problem with new package trays.

Mine is staying that way for now, I would have to remove my sail panels to properly get the package tray out, and that is not happening.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Suspended

I had the problem with both styles of the package shelf so I was tired of spending money every year to have a nice flat shelf. I came up with the idea to use the paint sticks while I was trying to flatten the last new one I had bought. I was trying to get it back into shape & though that if they were glued in place then it wouldn't curl back up. So I bought a new one again & poof glued them down & right away I knew it would take a lot to curl up now. It made it a little heavier but I figured it would then lay down better to. It did. Plus it stayed. Hey boss I don't have mine as a numbers matching car but it is close. The engine is no where near stock but the rest of the car is well close. I never did like the shag look but I did know a lot that did just that. I was more into street racing then & just wanted to go as fast as I could afford. I know street racing was bad but I did my share. Lost some & won more. The street seen was good & fast when I lived in Norfolk VA. , when I was in the Navy. I use to really love to race the jar heads as they were very bad losers & when I won I would rub it in , all in good fun!!!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rex, thanks for the tip! I would think that the warping probably has to due with moisture absorbtion due to condensation, even a little moisture....just sayin' Eric

Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good tip rex.i was thinkin of using luanne(?) type of wood underlayment for vinyl floors.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Suspended

Indy I think that the lauan would do the same thing unless you cut it into strips. It's the strips independet of each other that makes it firm. The lauan would be similiar to the package shelf itself. The seprate pieces give it the strength by allowing it to be supported in different directions like putting fiberglass down you never put glass all in the same direction because it will be weaker that way, so the same goes for the paint stickes. Putting the stickes down in different directions doesn't allow the shelf board to roll up in any picticular direction. Alos Eric your correct it is the mostiure that causes it to warp & I think it's because thy are makeing the package shelfs a little thinneer then they were a while back because my original one last for the first years of the life of the car. The repo ones are thinner so they warp eisier.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
You can always put a layer of shag carpeting on there that accents the interior then install a pair of Kraco 6x9 speakers.
Back in the 70s that was 'cool'. Along with an aftermarket Craig,Kraco or Realistic brand 8 track hanging ubder the dash along with assorted spliced and electrical taped wires.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended

I remember those days as I had one of the realistic FM converters that went in the glove box. I couldn't afford to get the am/fm stereo 8 track when I bought the car (bought new) because my car payment was already $ 68.00. So after I got the car & moved to Norfolk VA. , in the Navy the good radio stations were all on fm down there, so had to break down & get an add on. I didn't want anything hanging down under the dash so I went with the fm converter in the glove box. Glad I did because cutting the dash was not an option for me, but I wanted the good music.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought it was funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
It was a joke, wish you took it that way.