Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce Fulper = Tune out.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As has been correctly stated here, detonation is complicated and no single statement will solve it and there is no magic number that will keep it from happening. Just bought my wife a new, "used car". 2018 little Mazda. Static compression 13.2:1 . Regular fuel 87 octane engine. Of course, all the modern electronics and direct injection. I mention this as an example that compression alone does not determine detonation. Internal shapes, piston, chamber, valves, ring pack all play a role. Of course super precise fuel and ignition control as well and variable valve timing. Our old muscle cars are crude and as mentioned, very few are 100% stock anymore. Almost all that are being driven have been rebuilt to some degree. If we want the same, stock look as OE, there is no reason not to use what we have learned over the last 60 years to improve engines ability to run on pump gas available today. Lowering the compression on pre 1971 engines may be part of the formula while raising the compression on post 1971 engines can be done without detonation. Yes, agree it is complicated. Blank statements won't solve this problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some good reading:

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

https://www.pontiacstreetperformance...mpression.html

https://www.pontiacstreetperformance...pression2.html

https://www.pontiacstreetperformance...pression3.html

http://gtoaa.org/

Last edited by Kenth; 02-21-2024 at 10:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Lemons View Post
400 with # 13 heads at 9.75Cr. Still too high for 93 but will last a lot longer before the signs manifest themselves.
Lulz

9.75 is nothing

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-21-2024, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quiick note of things people don't consider. when trying to compare the past "numbers"
Static CR Vs Dynamic
"Most" fuel lost LEAD in the early 70's which had a major affect on say a 1970 Ra engine in 1975.
As well stated here, there are many workarounds and mostly REAL numbers now. Solutions abound,
and so does VP fuel !

Old 02-21-2024, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

X2 on Cliffs post Most folks had issues with him because he'd take their money for parts, or engine builds, etc.....and NOT deliver.

I've seen this many times over the years. Living in So Cal I have heard this a lot! People can either accept his personality or not, him talking about something that happened 20-30 years ago stuff that is no longer relevant to him or to me, but the hassle of fighting to either get the parts you paid for or the engine that was promised 8 months ago the phone calls, completion/Timeline promises, the law suites.

for me, its a business decision NOT to do business with him. Every couple of years he comes out of the wood shed and spouts something and this all gets hasted over again. YMMV

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-21-2024, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasnt a victim of any bad business dealings with Bruce. I've heard the stories though. My father and I both have had a couple of his camshafts to try and other small things.
He gave away 2 complete Pontiac engines in raffles we were in. All built with good parts and dynod. I've never known any one else that's done that. I thought that was pretty cool, and he hauled them all the way out to Ohio for the give away.

Not defending the guy, everyone has a good and bad side, I've just never experienced the bad side I guess.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I won Indy!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Mr. Fulper was a pretty darn good track announcer and a pretty good guitar player. I did it!! I found 2 positive things to say about him.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2024, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whitmore told me a couple of B Fulper stories before he passed. They were friends, at least friendly. Dan made a trip out to CA to see his daughter and stopped by Fulpers shop to say hello.
One time Fulper was in to booth at a big Pontiac drag race in which there was some cars with Dan's engines . He had one of his long rod 400s in a 2nd gen, heavy car. It ran 10s back in the 80s and that was pretty fast back then.
Well, that Bird was coming up to the line and Fulper said over the mic that "it sounded like a Big Block Chevy". After it ripped off a 10 second pass Dan ran up to the booth to let him know it was a Pontiac 400 that he built. Dan took a little offense to it.
Another time there was a group of the Pontiac big dogs back in the day sitting at a table discussing Pontiac engine know how. It was a incredible group of people that I won;t give up the names but the Pontiac world was a smaller one back then.
Bruce was there but had not been invited to the meeting, had not made a name for himself yet. But he hung just outside the door trying to pick up what he could, eavesdropping basically. He used some of that info and claimed it as his own. At least that is what I was told.
My only contact with him was way back when I first started to get serious at the track and called him up for a plug recommendation and he was very rude. By Bruce.
That 64 GTO on the cover of his old green catalog showed up at our track back in the 90s. The owner was on vacation up the coast WITH his car. How cool. I could not believe he was actually at our track. Well, that was before it got resurfaced and he blew the tires off at about the 150 foot mark. Said he would not be back, almost wrecked so the car made power. VERY nice car too.
When I asked about Bruce he said well, nothing good.
He was the guy Bruce ripped on his site for taking apart his engine to find out Bruce's "secretes". It was a "44O" Pontiac with E heads, Flying Toilet and Milodon gear drive.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have wiped out a 428 due to inaudible detonation. Never heard a thing. Perfect hearing.
5 broken pistons and pounded out bearings.

I ran Edelbrock water injection on my '67 GTO in the late 1980's with the stock 670 heads and 92 octane gas. Didn't help. Had to retard the hell out of the timing. Changed the heads later on to 87cc iron heads.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The most distructive level of detonation that takes place at full throttle you will never hear even with closed exh, but you would have sure as hell seen it on your spark plugs if you knew what to look for , or even first off knew how to determine if you even had the needed heat range of plug in your motor for it to live at full throttle time after time.

If a motor is on the edge with jetting at full throttle and you combine that with a wrong heat range plug your guaranteed to have issues.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I have wiped out a 428 due to inaudible detonation. Never heard a thing. Perfect hearing.
5 broken pistons and pounded out bearings.

I ran Edelbrock water injection on my '67 GTO in the late 1980's with the stock 670 heads and 92 octane gas. Didn't help. Had to retard the hell out of the timing. Changed the heads later on to 87cc iron heads.
Did the 5 pistons break ring lands? Was it a single pattern cam?

Having something like that with no warning will make anyone gun shy on compression.

I attached a screen shot of the compression and photo of one my 91 octane pump gas Pontiac engines. It has headers, other than that it looks like a bone stock smog engine. Modification are on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA306BEB-330D-4C23-93D3-07111C5CD63E.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	629149   Click image for larger version

Name:	248C0E66-A83C-44AC-96AC-859F1E4AE057.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	629150  

Last edited by Jay S; 02-22-2024 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Did the 5 pistons break ring lands? Was it a single pattern cam?

Having something like that with no warning will make anyone gun shy on compression.

I attached a screen shot of the compression and photo of one my 91 octane pump gas Pontiac engines. It has headers, other than that it looks like a bone stock smog engine. Modification are on the inside.

I was running a 455 with 62 heads, around 11.5:1 and ran it on 93 no problem.

Cranking psi was 200-205psi across all 8.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds about right. What I seem to find is that when I have an engine that gets up to around 210-215 psi cranking compression it starts to become super sensitive to pump gas.

That's back when I was living in Ohio and had Sunoco 94. Dad had a 455 with #12 heads and flat tops zero decked. I don't remember the compression off hand but it was up there close to 12:1. It was an Ultradyne solid flat tappet cam that was pretty rowdy but I don't remember specs. I just remember on the street and pump gas I had to have the tune really sharp. I used the track to dial in the timing and it seemed to like about 32 degrees total and that was it. That's where it ran best times. Ran that engine for several years like that and it survived fine until he wanted to go faster and the combo changed. Really didn't like the edgy-ness of that engine, it was pushing pump gas limits and it was about that time he went to aluminum heads and more manageable compression.

Out here in Arizona now where we only have 91 octane it's even more tricky. We do daily drive the Z with 11:1 compression and it's original iron hump heads (186's) but the camshaft in those things are fairly rowdy on duration for a little engine (254 @ .050) and the LSA spread out a bit so it's actually very manageable on 91. In fact it makes best power on the dyno with 38 degrees timing and shows no issues with this crappy gas. Been daily driving it for several years and over 60,000 miles. If it were going to pound bearings out (as they say) it would have done that a long time ago. During the build details were paid close attention too though. Custom JE pistons (expensive) with the pin moved to get the piston close to zero deck and things like that, for a true 11:1 compression.

As far as Pontiacs go, my bird with it's RAIII is 10.13:1 with the 068 cam in it and it runs on the same crappy pump gas just fine. Likes 34 degrees of total timing and runs best there. I've been beating on that thing for years like that with more racing than I can count and logged about 50-something thousand miles, it's still got bearings in it. The cam isn't really my first choice but kept the engine legal for PS racing. It works as is. I'd gladly do a bit more compression with more camshaft and be ok with that. I'll save that for a bigger engine at a later date. Maybe one of these days out of curiosity I'll pump it to see what cranking compression is, but I suspect it's not out of this world.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
The most distructive level of detonation that takes place at full throttle you will never hear even with closed exh, but you would have sure as hell seen it on your spark plugs if you knew what to look for , or even first off knew how to determine if you even had the needed heat range of plug in your motor for it to live at full throttle time after time.

If a motor is on the edge with jetting at full throttle and you combine that with a wrong heat range plug your guaranteed to have issues.
Why throwing soem higher octane race gas is no convertors or 100 octane race/unleaded and see if the motor picks up HP on the dyno or time in the 1/4. My zero deck RAIV 400 picked up 8 HP on the dyno with race gas and no audible detonation-and on dyno we ran mufflers!

There is a point where higher octane and it's slower "burn" can hurt you. Friend with a 66 Acadian(Pontiac Chevy II) and a pump gas SBC ran out of gas at the track and all they had was race gas. Slowed down 0.2 seconds!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also the variability of the "blend" in pump gas is very wide. You can have a wide band for AFR on your car and see how when you think you have it dialed in that next fill up it is off.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2024, 11:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I was running a 455 with 62 heads, around 11.5:1 and ran it on 93 no problem.

Cranking psi was 200-205psi across all 8.
Do you remember which cam you used for that?

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 02-23-2024, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

From Bruce's website

"Bruce's original Rock 'N' Roll GTO. With it's 9.2 Cr. 400 it ran 10.60's and made people like Pete McCarthy lose their old school mega-egotistical minds. Instead of learning how it was done, Pete wrote letters to magazines and club presidents claiming Bruce's engine was not what it was. All because he couldn't explain how it was done. Poor Pete. Made a fool of himself."

Any of this true?
1) 9.2 Cr. 400 running mid 10's
2) Pete making a fool of himself

Anybody know how Pete is doing? Enjoyed his articles immensely many years ago.

Old 02-23-2024, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Seems like some grand statements from someone that doesn’t have there facts all that correct. That’s likely one of those people that thinks all that era’s 72cc heads are actually 72 cc, which they weren’t. Plus I can’t recall a 400 with 13s ever having 10.75 SCR from the factory. The 9.75 SCR 400 13 head example was probably even high, some 400s with 13s have low 9s compression, the 13 head ran 75-78 cc, cylinder scallops on one side add 1 or 2 cc’s, pistons down about .020”, and on top of that, probably were sporting a .045” to .050” thick head gasket from the factory. Even with a small 067 cam, they would run on 91 octane pretty easy.

Lots of that eras stock grocery getter 400 engines have been rebuilt once are running around with 8VR pistons now too, compression is in the 8s. Not many engines even are configured much like how they were from the factory. Different pistons, surfaces trued up, valve jobs, different cams.

I am trying to remember the last pump gas performance engine I have put together that had less than 9.5 compression. Actual compression, not what the factory soft ball rating. I think I would have to go back into the 1990s.
Excellent points, Jay. What many forget is the advertised compression ratios for Pontiac engines and the actual compression ratios were usually .5-.75 a point apart. The 10 to 1 engines were in reality 9.25-9.5 to 1.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: