67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Rear Axle Shaft

The '69 Bird needs a new rear axle shaft. I've researched the major catalog parts suppliers (Jegs, Summit Racing, Ames), as well as the auto chain stores (Autozone, etc). It seems like there are only two manufacturers: Yukon Gear & Axle and USA Standard Gear. Any recommendations for either?

Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good good USED straight, never chewed Pontiac 8.2 axle would be my choice before ordering any cheap import axle.

On '69 Birds, there were 4 different axles used in the Pontiac 8.2 rears. The dimensions of the bearing "ends" of the axles are different between sealed & tapered bearing axles. The axles are:

-Std axle with sealed axle bearing
-HD (hot forged) axle with sealed bearing
-Std axle with A9 tapered bearing & external seal (National 712146).
-HD (hot forged) axle with A9 tapered bearing & external seal.

The latter 2 axles, next to never go bad, one either has to curb one, or break it... so assume you have one of the sealed bearing style, that the archaic design axle bearing has chewed the bearing mating surface up. The std duty version axle are not obscenely hard to find, used, they also were used in nearly a million Pontiac A body's & '69 GrandPrix's, not just '67-69 Birds. The HD version were only used in HD Safe-T-Track rears & IF your Bird has a factory 3.90 HD STT rear in it with sealed axle bearings, it's best to give Moser Engineering a call.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the great info ....never new there were 4 different axles used on the 8.2.
And you guessed right, my axle has the sealed bearing with some kind of retainer collar right next to it. The sealed bearing was bad, no longer press fit against the axle shaft. I grinded a slot almost all the way thru the retainer collar and was then able to worked it off with a slight bit of prying and tapping. The sealed bearing was so loose that it slid right off. Maybe I'm still learning the terminology, but the axle surface is not chewed up. In fact, it's very, very smooth. But the diameter of the shaft is worn down where the bearing used to be. It's a smaller diameter than the shaft diameter under the retainer collar. Per your advice, I'll search around for a good used axle shaft. Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you identify the HD axle versus the regular one. I know they were used in conjunction with the nodular rear STT package but is there a way to ID the axle shaft itself visually?

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 10-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
How do you identify the HD axle versus the regular one. I know they were used in conjunction with the nodular rear STT package but is there a way to ID the axle shaft itself visually?
John, sure, the Pontiac 8.2 HD forged axles are tapered & have a rough texture the full length. As an original Pontiac 8.2 axle, there will only be one access hole in the axle flange. The standard duty Pontiac 8.2 axles are a consistent thickness & are fully machined, you will see the lines.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good to know, I never paid attention, I have a few spares from a 69 Fbird 3.55 posi axle housing, I'll have a peek at them.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue View Post
The '69 Bird needs a new rear axle shaft. I've researched the major catalog parts suppliers (Jegs, Summit Racing, Ames), as well as the auto chain stores (Autozone, etc). It seems like there are only two manufacturers: Yukon Gear & Axle and USA Standard Gear. Any recommendations for either?
I bought a pair of new axle shafts for both my GTO's from Dutchman Axles in Colorado.

After complete rear end rebuilds in both cars, I didn't want to take any chances of a stock axle letting go and causing a bunch of damage.

Great product, great service.

I wouldn't say cheap, however. But I like the peace of mind.

Check them out at http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/bop-sto...-pob-pair.html

Last edited by propuckstopper; 10-07-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put Yukons in my 67 got them from summit.