Old 08-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At the minimum he should say the car has a replacement 389 given how important the engine is to the value of collector cars. An unsuspecting person is going to get ripped off by overpaying plus other collateral aggravation.

It's fraud and if the seller winds up in a legal situation it's because he earned it.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At least the ad doesn't start with 3 page's of John Doloreans mothers difficult birth with the yet unknown brainchild of the yet unknown famed GTO and ends with "who while staring into his oatmeal one morning declared the BIG block Pintiac engine will now be available in the Lemans body for 1964!
And thus the GTO was created! Buyer's, that's what we have here. Bid with confidence

:--)

Old 08-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Some good shots underneath the car.
Looks like Fremont shot the whole underside with body color in 64.
Didn't know that
Baron, not true, '64 Fremont builds should be black underneath, same as the firewall and same as was done at all Plants.

Looks to me like the underside was stripped but not painted (maybe cleared?) and looks "silver" cause it is bare metal. Frame should also be painted black, looks like it also is unpainted maybe.

Can't tell if the Data Plate has paint on it but Fremont used a mask to keep paint off the Data Plate, should have no paint or some overspray if the mask was poorly used. But not painted black like the other Plants did it.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It could be something that was carefully applied 25-35 years ago, and just looks patina now.
Its not bare metal though. Some type of paint or coating.
Possibly the old silver version of POR-15 that was thinner viscosity.

There must have been enough silver overspray underneath at one time that they thought it was supposed to all be silver underneath.

No paint left on the frame is no surprise.
But if that silver underbody had been factory - i was very surprised how it remained so intact and still had full coverage.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Suspended

I would pay about 5 grand for it and you would have to talk me into it.. After experiencing solid handling of my first 69 SS396 el Camino (427). All other GM A body's are boring at best except for the 69-72 Grand Prix.. I wonder why GM didn't use the 1942 frame in more of its cars, it really makes a tremendous difference! Come to think of it, I wouldn't give you two grand for that car with that slinky frame, I'm spoiled...

Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could get a Heavy Duty Frame (Convertible Boxed Frame) under these cars as an option.
But its very very rare to find one ordered that way.
Off the shoulder i think it was available 64 65 66
Not sure what the cost was ... probably 20-30 bucks

I would have ordered it.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You could get a Heavy Duty Frame (Convertible Boxed Frame) under these cars as an option.
But its very very rare to find one ordered that way.
Off the shoulder i think it was available 64 65 66
Not sure what the cost was ... probably 20-30 bucks

I would have ordered it.
I have the Heavy Duty frame on my 67 GTO Hardtop....22.86 extra...The previous owner was towing a boat with it. Heck ...it even has a working “Safe Guard Speedometer “ for 15.80.... lolClick image for larger version

Name:	5D07C989-D28A-458E-A728-6D20FBD38DDB.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	547076

Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know how many 64 GTO’s Hardtops....with Tri power and automatic were made ....and thanks.

Last edited by MUSLCAH; 08-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Does anyone know how many 64 GTO’s Hardtops....with Tri power and automatic were made ....and thanks.
77J - Tri-Power with Automatic, 693 total.

I do not know how many were hardtops.

CT

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I have the Heavy Duty frame on my 67 GTO Hardtop.
Wow
that car has some really seldom seen options for a GTO
HD Frame, Heavy Load Springs&Shocks, Trailer Provisions
Plus a nice amount of the good stuff too.
Congrats

1st 67 i have ever seen with the HD Frame. btw
Cool Car
and was column shifted
was it bench or buckets ?

Old 08-13-2020, 04:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I would pay about 5 grand for it and you would have to talk me into it.. After experiencing solid handling of my first 69 SS396 el Camino (427). All other GM A body's are boring at best except for the 69-72 Grand Prix.. I wonder why GM didn't use the 1942 frame in more of its cars, it really makes a tremendous difference! Come to think of it, I wouldn't give you two grand for that car with that slinky frame, I'm spoiled...

If somebody gave you that car, would you sell it for $2500? $500 more than it's worth after all.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Wow
that car has some really seldom seen options for a GTO
HD Frame, Heavy Load Springs&Shocks, Trailer Provisions
Plus a nice amount of the good stuff too.
Congrats

1st 67 i have ever seen with the HD Frame. btw
Cool Car
and was column shifted
was it bench or buckets ?
Yes column shifter and buckets. And still running the Born with motor,trans,and rear end....also has original front and rear seats and all original door panels. The carpet and headliner were changed. Painted 3 times with the original color ...code 11 Monteago Cream. Cliff did the carb for me...and said it was a 1969 Service Carb....which was common ,he said.

Last edited by MUSLCAH; 08-13-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah.....$22.86 seems like a reasonable price for the HD frame.....I woulda done it.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HD Frame option was a comparative bargain in ‘67.

PMD gigged you $23.35 on the Window Sticker for the Sales Code 661 HD Frame in ‘64, same price whether Tempest or big Pontiac.

Included in both the light duty and medium duty trailering package options, Sales Codes 074 and 078 but also available as an individual option for those who required “less than” the full group package. But unless you were considering the trailering package options you might never have been made aware of the Special Equipment option HD Frame. In ‘64 you would refer to order addenda 516 S.O., a document I personally have never seen to select it. In ‘65, I believe the All Series Special Equipment Order Form was what you used to order it. The ASSE Order Form was still fairly obscure with most salesmen but the options listed on it were becoming better known to the cognoscenti among hipper buyers. Even so, I doubt 1 in 100 GTO coupe buyers considered paying for a heavier frame in ‘64 or ‘65. Only those that wanted to tow, which I believe was a lot less common then vs. now, and ordered a trailering option got the HD Frame and only because it was in the package, not because they consciously thought it would make their GTO better. JMO

For the life of me, I did not understand the “1942 frame” comment. What was meant by that? And why would an El Camino handle better than a Chevelle or other A body?

Old 08-15-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to believe it was much cheaper than a console!

+1 on doubting the “fantastic handling capabilities” of an El Camino.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1942 is a part designator for that frame.
Maybe from Hollander Interchange
Although it looks like a calendar year reference. lol

It was heavy duty and boxed
Think only the Elco and Chevy A Wagons got them.

Quote:
Hard to believe it was much cheaper than a console!
Just a couple/few more dollars than an in-dash Clock. lmao

hey man what time is it ?
Time to check out my fancy HD boxed frame , thats what time !

Old 08-15-2020, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

... why would an El Camino handle better than a Chevelle or other A body?
I've had two el Caminos, one being a '69 and I was wondering the same thing. Definitely nothing special about either of the ones I had anyway.