Old 08-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Default Tripower choke tubes

Hello

I was wondering what is the procedure to replace the choke tubes inside the intake manifold?
It looks like it is just pressed in from the bottom, so I would guess it would just be punched out but it doesn't look as easy to press back in... It kind of looks peened over on the outside of the manifold. Am I overthinking this? Warm the intake, freeze the tube?

Thanks for any and all advice
Regards

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Old 08-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is '65 only.

Insert them from the bottom and use a large center punch to swage the top of the tubing so it's locked in place. I use a piece of wood to hold the tubes in place from inside the heat passage while swaging.

I've had many '65 intakes where people have brazed or welded the tubes in place or welded the holes in the manifold shut and made a mess of the intake, I've never had one, though, that couldn't be fixed by carefully drilling and installing the tubes as described above. .

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
This is '65 only...
That's exactly what I got, a welded pipe, thankfully its just a welded top pipe in the lower pipe keeping the intake untouched.

Is the heat chamber in the exhaust stream? (I haven't looked at mine close, yet) my concern is if the lower pipe needs to be really tight to avoid exhaust leak.

While I have you in this thred, can you confirm if my 65 or a 66 thripower will not fit on a post 72 head? There is a mention on Tripower.com about a exhaust crossover port being taller and causing an exhaust leak. (Which made my think of asking the question above (heat chamber))

Thanks Dave, or anybody that can chime in.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "heat chamber" is the heat riser passage in the intake manifold. It does use exhaust gases to heat the manifold and operate the choke.

The '65/'66 intake manifold can be used on all Pontiac V8's through 1979 except the 301, 265 short-deck versions. The heat riser passage and casting recess adjacent to it on the later heads is larger than early heads, so you need the proper year gasket set, which takes care of the mismatch.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem. Repaired using Dick's recommendations. I used a small ignition wrench at the raised ridge on the tubes to hold them in place from inside the exhaust runner while I swaged from the top.
I did use just a touch of hi-temp Permatex around the edges as I never could get the tubes as tight as I was aiming for. Just didn't want any exhaust escaping around the edges of the tubes..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	517764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	517765  

Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
The "heat chamber" is the heat riser passage in the intake manifold. It does use exhaust gases to heat the manifold and operate the choke.

The '65/'66 intake manifold can be used on all Pontiac V8's through 1979 except the 301, 265 short-deck versions. The heat riser passage and casting recess adjacent to it on the later heads is larger than early heads, so you need the proper year gasket set, which takes care of the mismatch.
Thank you sir !

Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I had the same problem. Repaired using Dick's recommendations. I used a small ignition wrench at the raised ridge on the tubes to hold them in place from inside the exhaust runner
Thanks Greg. I checked out your post. Thankfully my intake is not touched