Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was the problem with my car when I️ got it. He had just replaced the dash harness with an unknown brand update kit and spliced all the remaining wires into it. I had spotty electrical service from day one. Lights that didn’t work, no start conditions. One speed on the blower etc. this looks pretty straight forward just time consuming.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I get that, those harness kits are not as easy as folks think. One thing that gets me is that most use zip ties and pull them tight. There's no strain relief that way, more difficult to troubleshoot, and not to mention it looks like crap.

An OE type install is cake, the OE connectors are all there, and when you lay it out, the connectors are close to where they plug in, so it's almost no brainer.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The M&H harnesses look exactly like the harnesses I took out other than one being clean and one being dirty and all jacked up and spliced. I always thought M&H were THE authority on factory wiring harnesses. I guess I’ll find out in about a year when I’m ready to start putting some power to some things.
64speed, have you powered up your M&H harness? I have been talking with M&H about a complete wiring harness for my 65 GTO. I am waiting for the quote from M&H. Just curious how your turned out.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never mind - just noticed that I already said that. I did finally get around to ordering the fuse box hold down screws from our sponsor, and fastening the box in properly yesterday.

Last edited by Chris65LeMans; 09-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Unless you are ready to do customization, those types of kits are not for you. And if you want it to look good, you have to be fairly good with customization.

Almost all the kits serve multiple years, and you have to pick and choose the connectors, etc and install the ones that fit your app. I am in the middle of an AWW install, it's a custom install, and on just the dash harness, I have like 40 hours in it, and probably have another 20 hours to go.

There are alternatives to M&H, but most are competitively priced, so there's no real gain/savings.

Dash harnesses are the most expensive, but are usually the ones that are the most hacked up. You can remove it, lay it on a table, and replace what areas are damaged, then re-wrap. It still won't be as clean as a replacement one, but you will save money.

It's much easier to just pull a dash harness out of the box, and replace the existing one. All the ends/connectors are pretty much a fall-in-place hook up.

Hello, I'll be soon starting the dash install of the AAW update kit , on the bench. Just curious what issues you had when installing your AAW kit.

Thanks

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 12-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As an alternative to M&H, one source I should have mentioned is Lectric-Limited:

https://www.lectriclimited.com

They are as good if not better than M&H, though I'm not going to argue with anyone about it.

Tips on the AAW classic update kit. Whew.

*Go through the instructions multiple times, before you even attempt to install anything.

*Mark the areas in the instruction that will apply to you install, and beware, it can be confusing.

*Not everything comes with the kit. Save all the clips, etc from the dash, noting where they go. Have extra Packard connectors & terminals on hand.

*Blaze me if you want, but the best way to terminate any ends is with a professional crimper, and quality terminals, using shrink tube on any exposed power runs. No crappy auto parts terminals with those crappy plastic covers on them.

*If you need sources for terminals or tool recommendations, look at some of my other posts.

*Not sure about 67 and before, but 68-up, it's best to remove the dash, with the OE harness attached, and toss it on a bench. Compare the new harness to the OE, take pics and notes.

*If any of the retainers, channels, clips, etc are damaged or missing, many of them are reproduced. Stuff like that not only makes for a clean install, but also makes it last longer and easy to troubleshoot.

*If you run aftermarket gauges, make a sub harness. You can on some models remove the gauge cluster by itself, and it's a lot easier to do if you can just unplug it. Since it's not exposed to weather, using an AMPhenol type plug is acceptable. (You will need an open barrel crimper for those type terminals, but worth having)

*The update kit has an accessory harness for add-ons. If you're not using any of them, I suggest terminating all the extra wires using a AMPhenol connector, so later you can tap into the wires easily (and cleanly).

*You can use OE type harness wrap if you want, and are familiar with using it. Do NOT use electrical tape, or anything with adhesive. Some choose to use loom, which is a good idea, it protects the wire, and split loom allows for troubleshooting and for adding or removing wires. The mesh split loom is my go-to, but you can use whatever you want.

*Take pics along the way. Try to document as best and much as you can for future reference. You will be surprised how useful that can be, even when you think you will never need it.

*If you add circuits, or extend wires, use quality wire (GXL or TXL), no parts store 'primary' wire crap. Try to add the same color wire that you're extending, will prevent confusion when troubleshooting. Can't tell you how many times I've helped folks and every thing is red and black. If you use quality wire, you don't have to use 12ga on everything, 14, 16, and 18 works, depending on the load. Lots of sensors are low amp, and can use 18 or 20ga, same with relay switch circuits.

*If you get tire and/or impatient, stop. Pickup the project when you're in a better frame of mind. When you get tired an impatient, that's when the majority of human error happens.

Calling support at AAW is pretty worthless, once you've paid for it, you're pretty much on your own. It's not too difficult, a lot of point A to point B stuff, don't let it be intimidating. Mark and make notes right on the instruction sheet(s), maybe use sticky notes until you're done, so you don't have a lot of corrections on there.

If found on some of the AAW areas the connectors were cheap. For example, I did the whole car kit, and all the exterior bulb connectors were missing seals or not the type that even accepted seals. Not good. I replaced all of the ones that were unacceptable, and it probably added a hundred bucks or more. When I replaced them, I used new terminals, with seals, and the connectors cost more than the cheap ones.

My floor hi/lo switch was DOA Chinese crap. Come of the specialty connectors, such as the one for the cigar lighter, were not OE type, not insulated, were cheap, but did work. I changed them. Some of the dash light sockets were junk, needed replacing. Some of the instructions were so generic, I just consider them 'wrong'. Definitely check against OE diagrams, and the original harness.

In my case, due to all the modification, add ons, rerouting, etc, I basically paid for the fuse box and a bunch of wire. If you have a lot of mods you want to do, you might consider the basic kit that includes the fuse box and go from there.

In my case, after all was said and done, aside from the floor hi/lo switch, I only had one mistake, and that was I made a section too long, and had to look if under the dash. Everything worked, and considering the effort, that was pretty good results.

My one front speaker in the aftermarket kick panels works intermittently, I think it might be the speaker leads shorting on the body, but that isn't harness related.

I should be able to make this year's Pype/Ames show, if anyone is interested, I will point out the mods, etc.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
The Following User Says Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, for such a detailed response!!!!! I purchased the AAW crimping tool and harness tape.I have the dash on my work bench with a brand new M&H for comparison. One question, do I have to use the supplied ignition switch? I have a NOS illuminated switch currently mounted.

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 12-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very well said HWYSTR455 !

Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman_67 View Post
Thanks, for such a detailed response!!!!! I purchased the AAW crimping tool and harness tape.I have the dash on my work bench with a brand new M&H for comparison. One question, do I have to use the supplied ignition switch? I have a NOS illuminated switch currently mounted.
Pretty sure it uses the OE type connector, so you should be good. If not, change the connector. You can save the one off the OE harness and re-use.

Their' tools are good, believe they are the Sargent brand, I have a couple of those. They are for 'open' type connectors.

Post pics please! Especially of the M&H one.