WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Exterior Tech

04-06 Exterior Tech SAP stuff, styling, hoods, and spoilers oh my!

Old 01-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took the spoiler off the GTO last week, and I am very pleased with how it looks. I am gonna order another deck lid and have the holes filled and painted to match. I plugged the holes with plastic capplugs painted to match (Rally 1 silver is almost a perfect match!)

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 01-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took the spoiler off the GTO last week, and I am very pleased with how it looks. I am gonna order another deck lid and have the holes filled and painted to match. I plugged the holes with plastic capplugs painted to match (Rally 1 silver is almost a perfect match!)

Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 PM

The GTO looks so much better without that hideous wing. It should have been a delete option.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Such an improvement. Didn't realize how much the wing detracted from the car's lines. Looks great.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, the wing should be an option instead of standard. Nice job trips...
Old 01-11-2005, 02:11 AM

Yep, looks nice indeed! I like it both ways, but seeing it without makes it an even more sucessful sleeper
Old 01-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Senior Chief

Looks good ! Removal of the rear spoiler cleans up the lines of the rear well.
I've always felt that the design of the spoiler was not integrated into the lines of the car at all.I completely agree that Pontiac should make the rear spoiler optional, and or redesign one that looks more like the spoiler on the Woodward GTO show car.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The response to this thread concurs with the concensus among my Pontiac buddies who've seen it.

The spoiler really should have been a delete option.

I think a small ducktail (ala '72 GTO) would have looked OK.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripower455:

http://tripower455.freeservers.com/spoilerless1.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...looks 100% ( literally 100% ) better. People forget that the original intent of spoilers actually served a functional purpose, not aestetics. I'm no fan of how these cars looked when they left the factory ( mainly the spoilers and rims ) but have always felt with a few subtle changes they could look quite good...and they look best in "grownup colors" aka : silver, black, darker mettalics.You've got a righteous ride there Tripower. Heres' one with some rims I liked. Some 05 calipers would really set this off. It too would look better w/o the spoiler. ( and no scoops )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04_00024_2.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	18956  
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tripower455:
The response to this thread concurs with the concensus among my Pontiac buddies who've seen it.....
I think a small ducktail (ala '72 GTO) would have looked OK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

early 04 rendering...notice ducktail, colored calipers, full hood covering wipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04_00098_1.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	21083  
Old 01-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

...looks 100% ( literally 100% ) better. People forget that the original intent of spoilers actually served a functional purpose, not aestetics. I'm no fan of how these cars looked when they left the factory ( mainly the spoilers and rims ) but have always felt with a few subtle changes they could look quite good...and they look best in "grownup colors" aka : silver, black, darker mettalics.You've got a righteous ride there Tripower. Heres' one with some rims I liked. Some 05 calipers would really set this off. It too would look better w/o the spoiler. ( and no scoops ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am actually pretty happy with the spartan rims..... but then again, I really like the plain steelie/dog dish caps on the old ones!

Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red70goat:

...looks 100% ( literally 100% ) better. People forget that the original intent of spoilers actually served a functional purpose, not aestetics. I'm no fan of how these cars looked when they left the factory ( mainly the spoilers and rims ) but have always felt with a few subtle changes they could look quite good...and they look best in "grownup colors" aka : silver, black, darker mettalics.You've got a righteous ride there Tripower. Heres' one with some rims I liked. Some 05 calipers would really set this off. It too would look better w/o the spoiler. ( and no scoops ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like the plain steelie/dog dish caps on the old ones! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I did with all my old musclecars but I'd paint the wheel mettalic grey. Then I'd throw on some chrome trim rings along with a highly polished dog dish hubcap with the factory emblem repainted the original color...it gave it a nice finished yet still factory look.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:56 PM

Now try it with 18" wheels.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A stock Monaro trunk looks better than a factory GTO spoiler! The ducktail greatly improves the appearance of an otherwise bloated backend.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A stock Monaro trunk looks better than a factory GTO spoiler! The ducktail greatly improves the appearance of an otherwise bloated backend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That green one has the same trunk as my GTO. It doesn't go up at all, it just hangs off a little in the back, like a smashed ducktail.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A stock Monaro trunk looks better than a factory GTO spoiler! The ducktail greatly improves the appearance of an otherwise bloated backend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That green one has the same trunk as my GTO. It doesn't go up at all, it just hangs off a little in the back, like a smashed ducktail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My post was not to bag on a GTO lid but to make the point that in it's stock form whether it's a Monaro or a GTO it looks so much better without the spoiler....and that GM should take note and have the spoiler as a delete option. ( or leave it off all together! )
Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That green one has the same trunk as my GTO. It doesn't go up at all, it just hangs off a little in the back, like a smashed ducktail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My post was not to bag on a GTO lid but to make the point that in it's stock form whether it's a Monaro or a GTO it looks so much better without the spoiler....and that GM should take note and have the spoiler as a delete option. ( or leave it off all together! ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% agreed........

Old 01-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My post was not to bag on a GTO lid but to make the point that in it's stock form whether it's a Monaro or a GTO it looks so much better without the spoiler....and that GM should take note and have the spoiler as a delete option. ( or leave it off all together! ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% agreed........ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats for having the balls to take your spoiler off...with any luck others will follow suit. People complain that the 04/05 looks like every other car and it many ways it does but nearly everything has spoilers now...including pickups and 4 door ricers! Hell I even saw one on the back of a motorcycle the other day. My 740i has a ducktail, so does some of the Benz and Jags. If Lutz is indeed going after the higher end consumer as he claims with the 04/05 GTO then there needs to be some exterior cues reflecting that, not some mass produced cheesey spoiler found on very Honda and Mazda in some High School parking lot!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:57 AM

I took my wing off and got the holes filled , I complained enough to the dealer about the factory paintjob being so thin so they repainted the whole car and took the wing off at no charge car looks great now
what do you guys think
I need to trade these rims for diffrent wheels next

Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Senior Chief

Looks great !
How did they fill the holes ?