Missing Pontiacs, Parts or Trailers Include lost or stolen items here

Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Leon Dixon
Default Looking for my original 1968 GTO convertible

I am looking for my original 1968 GTO convertible I bought new in 1968. It was originally ordered from Viet Nam while I was there serving in the US Army. Yes, I still have the original order sheet that states it is ordered from Viet Nam. Color was Mayfair Maize yellow with black top and black interior. It was equipped with many special items including 8-track tape, 360 H.O. engine, hood tach Rallye II wheels AM/FM radio, Hideaway headlights, red splash liners and more. I got a set of prototype very early Mustang Mach 1 racing mirrors and had Packer Pontiac of Detroit paint them to match the car and it was the first GTO out on Woodward Avenue with racing mirrors... long before even the Mach 1 went on sale. I also had Milt Schornack at Royal Pontiac "Bobcat" the engine and as a final touch, since exhaust splitters were not available on '68 GTO, Milt at Royal rigged up a set for me anyway. It was the only 1968 GTO with exhaust splitters.

I kept this car for a few years and then sold it to concentrate on school when gas and insurance went nuts. I've missed the car ever since. I have the original Protecto-Plate and other items. Still have a set of Royal license plate frames and Bobcat stickers I never installed. Receipts from original service, etc. I last heard my car was somewhere in the Carolinas with a bad rear axle.

I would very much like to find this car no matter where or what condition it is today. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEE1968GTO001.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	472806  

Last edited by Leon Dixon; 01-17-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Senior Chief

I wish you all the best in finding your car! Try some GTO clubs in the Carolinas they may have some info! I recently found a 65 buick wildcat vert that I had been looking at years ago then I did not see it for a long time. I thought that maybe the owner moved or passed away and I called the local Buick club president and he told me that the mans wife had died and he remarried and his now wife did not like old cars! He contacted and remembered me and I bought the car in November!! You just never know!! Good luck Fred

Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
I wish you all the best in finding your car! Try some GTO clubs in the Carolinas they may have some info! I recently found a 65 buick wildcat vert that I had been looking at years ago then I did not see it for a long time. I thought that maybe the owner moved or passed away and I called the local Buick club president and he told me that the mans wife had died and he remarried and his now wife did not like old cars! He contacted and remembered me and I bought the car in November!! You just never know!! Good luck Fred
Wow! First I know nothing at all about GTO clubs, much less about any in the Carolinas. But appreciate the advice.

Second... WOW again! I absolutely love the 1965 Buick Wildcat convertible and owned one for a short period. I found another just like it and ended up in the hospital for a while. When I came back to pick up the car, the owner apparently had moved and I never saw it again. It had the Grand Sport package, the wheels, factory air and bucket seats. I would love to find that one again too! Fabulous car!

Thanks for the advice and post.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Senior Chief

You could join POCI and put an ad in the "Smoke Signals" magazine. You can place a free ad up to 50 words with one free photo. The magazine also lists various POCI Chapters/Clubs with addresses. There is a Palmetto Chapter, C/O Maxie Burns,205 Bryson Dr., Laurens SC 29360 and a NC chapter, Piedmont Chapter C/O Larry Sprinkle, 34 Windsor Circle, Thomasville, NC 27360. These POCI Chapters may be able to put the word out for you.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My first '68 was Mayfair Maize. I disliked the color when I got it but it grew on me and is still one of my favorite colors on a '68. Nowhere near the options of yours and a hardtop but I'd rather have it than the one I have now...if I had a 'wayback' machine.
Good luck!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Here is another photo of my 1968 GTO

This photo of my 1968 GTO convertible was taken about 1969. You will note the racing mirrors that I had Packer Pontiac (Detroit) install, color matched. There were some other trick things like the Bobcatting from Royal Pontiac was long done and installed. Photo resolution is not clear here, but if you look really close you can see the hood tach too. Color was Mayfair Maize with red pinstripes. Brake drums were painted red and I had Royal install red fender liners from 1967. It had a very striking look to the car with the redline tires. Notice the Royal Pontiac license plate frame.

I used to hold court sitting at Ted's Drive-In restaurant that once stood at North Woodward Avenue and Square Lake Road. It was the ultimate of all the Woodward Avenue drive-ins and got so popular with cruisers and street racers that they began charging a fee just to get into the parking lot!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My GTO2.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	472850  

Last edited by Leon Dixon; 01-18-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have any paperwork with the VIN I would start by doing a search for that.

Maybe a friend in law enforcement that could do a VIN search for you if that is possible. Might provide some clues.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could contact this Pontiac club, based in Raleigh.
http://www.tarheeltigers.org/
Maybe a member knows of your old car? I will pay attention for it, but it doesn't match anything I've had in my shop.
Best of luck to you in your search.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If you have any paperwork with the VIN I would start by doing a search for that.

Maybe a friend in law enforcement that could do a VIN search for you if that is possible. Might provide some clues.
Hello, yes I have all kinds of paperwork. Original sale papers, service records, Protect-O-Plate and more. Lots of it. But the problem is where is the car today? At least a general area. I bought the car new in Michigan. Last I heard in the 1970s it was in the Carolinas and that story may or may not have been true. It could be anywhere today. If it even still exists. Conducting a nationwide VIN search is not that easy even with help I've had already.

Is there a way to determine VIN from the Protect-O-Plate?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
You could contact this Pontiac club, based in Raleigh.
http://www.tarheeltigers.org/
Maybe a member knows of your old car? I will pay attention for it, but it doesn't match anything I've had in my shop.
Best of luck to you in your search.
Thanks much. Here is a photo of my GTO when new showing its unusual features.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTOrhHiResWM copy.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	473287  

Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Dixon View Post
Is there a way to determine VIN from the Protect-O-Plate?

Thanks.
Isn't the number is right on the top of the card above your name? 242XXXX...

Old 01-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the story on the stripe? Did you have the dealer do it?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:04 PM

As someone suggested, you could join POCI (Pontiac Oakland Club International). They have a monthly magazine called "Smoke Signals" with a "Lost and Found" section for people looking for their old cars. You could place an ad there with the VIN. It's a long shot, but you might get lucky. The VIN is probably somewhere in your documents or on the Protect-O-Plate. If you see something that starts with 24267, that's the VIN.

There is another club, GTOAA (GTO Association of America) that also has a monthly magazine called "The Legend" that you could place an ad in (no lost and found section but there is a "cars wanted" section).

People all over the world belong to these clubs, and many members of local clubs also belong to these clubs. so you should get a fair amount of exposure. Membership doesn't cost much, and the ads might even be free, so it's worth a shot.

Both magazines also have ads for cars for sale, so even if you never find your old car, you might find a similar one you may want to buy.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Looks like the D80 stripe option. I believe they were hand painted at the factory. Cool option. $10.63. Sales code 494.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '68 factory stripe did not go over the wheel openings.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
The '68 factory stripe did not go over the wheel openings.
You are correct. I didn't see that in the photo....I guess I should have zoomed in closer. Side effect of getting older is my eyesight isn't what it used to be...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I had the dealer re-do it since I saw an illustration at Royal with the stripe over the wheel opening and I liked that better. I know very well that the factory stripe did not go over the wheel opening.

I had many things done to my GTO when it was new to mildly customize/personalize it. I had the mirrors done, the exhaust splitters, 67 red wheel housing liners installed and of course I had the engine Bobcatted. There were other things I had done to it, all when new.

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I've been following your posts and viewing the photos. That's why I asked about the stripes. Very interesting story!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy421 View Post
As someone suggested, you could join POCI (Pontiac Oakland Club International). They have a monthly magazine called "Smoke Signals" with a "Lost and Found" section for people looking for their old cars. You could place an ad there with the VIN. It's a long shot, but you might get lucky. The VIN is probably somewhere in your documents or on the Protect-O-Plate. If you see something that starts with 24267, that's the VIN.

There is another club, GTOAA (GTO Association of America) that also has a monthly magazine called "The Legend" that you could place an ad in (no lost and found section but there is a "cars wanted" section).

People all over the world belong to these clubs, and many members of local clubs also belong to these clubs. so you should get a fair amount of exposure. Membership doesn't cost much, and the ads might even be free, so it's worth a shot.

Both magazines also have ads for cars for sale, so even if you never find your old car, you might find a similar one you may want to buy.
Thanks very much! Here is the VIN (I think) from the number on my Protect-O-Plate:

242678P161938

Old 02-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurelyGTO68 View Post
You are correct. I didn't see that in the photo....I guess I should have zoomed in closer. Side effect of getting older is my eyesight isn't what it used to be...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
You're preaching to the choir Purely... I'm sporting my first pair of glasses as I type this...and they're bi-focals!...lol