Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Anybody in Northern Virginia/Washington DC area?

Looking for a referral for a decent paint shop in the area. Need to shoot the car and have them install the headliner and front and rear glass.

Car is 67 temepst

Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to p4msi1

East Coast Fiberglass in Manassas, Va. Very good and reasonable price.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent. Thanks! I'll give them a call.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 PM

You can also try Rob's Customs Restorations in Manassas VA. They have done some work for me and some other club members in the area. Great shop.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I called East coast and they could not do what I was looking for.

Basically, very minimal body work, cheapie paint job to get car out of epoxy primer, headliner, and front and rear glass install.

Also, looking for a shop that can do some welding on another project as well.

I 'll try the other shop and see if they can help.

Thanks for the tips!!

Old 04-24-2020, 06:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Boostmaster,
Did you ever have any luck in finding a shop in the Northern Va area? I'm looking for the same thing. I'm in Manassas, Va.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nope. I've spoken to a few shops out here. Most are collision shops and aren't interested in anything that isn't an insurance claim.

I've spoken to a few other shops that claim to be hot rod or performance shops and they are extremely overpriced for anything that they might do. Can't even find a decent machine shop! (looking to have axle hubs turned down a few mm to clear my C5 brake rotors.)

I am still hunting around and even looked at skipping the paint and going to a wrap. The cheapest place that was recommended stated that they will be well over $2k to wrap a car.

I've also spoken to the mobile wheel and tire guy (who I do highly recommend) and asked him if he had any recommendations... His take on this area is that there is no "car culture" here. Based upon what I've seen I am inclined to believe it. When I was in SoCal, there was always something going on, tons of shops for anything you wanted or needed to do at all price points. Over here, you're lucky if you can find a shop to answer the phone!

Last car show I went to had a few classics/muscle cars- nearly all of it was new Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs--- In my opinion, that's not the kind of car I want to go to a show and see as I can see them all when I'm sitting in traffic.

At this point I am considering skipping the minimal bodywork I need, doing the headliner myself, and calling a local glass company to come and install the glass. I have been looking at the plastidip you tube channel as a cheap alternative to shoot some color on the car (it's cheap and peels off if you want to change it)...

If anyone else around here has some leads, I'm open to recommendations.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

boostmaster,
As for a machine shop, have you ever heard of C&C in Manassas, Va? I know a few guys that have gone through them and they were happy with their work. I've dealt with them on a few occassions and found them to be pretty squared away. They've been in business for many years. I'm pretty much where you're at when it comes to finding a place for paint and body.

I've gone to a few shows and I know what you mean. Me and the guys get together once in a while and work on the cars and meet up. You're more then welcome to PM me and I'll send you my contact information to get together with us once in a while. Real good guys.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:44 PM

Va68Goat, Any updates on your engine fiasco? How's it running since you got it straightened out? Any problems? Hope not. You went through more than anyone should have to.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

69 Limelight,

The motor is running good but it's hard to trust that build after all that happened. Going through "Him" was a huge mistake because he proved to me and some people on here that he is not as good or honest as he wants people to believe. He's an average builder with an average skill set and certainly not a man of his word.

I just installed some new shocks and got the hideaways working on vacuum (believe it or not). I'm still getting little odds and ends done but at least it's on the road after 2 years of that BS. I'm in the process now of collecting parts to put a spare engine together in the event this once fails...it certainly won't be built in Arizona, thats for sure!

Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Va68goat: Thanks for the heads up on C&C. I'll see if I can contact them this week (if they're open)...

I've also sent you a PM as well!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you need engine work in the DC area, Rockville Ring and Bearing in Rockville MD has built several Pontiac engines for me and they do a great job at a reasonable price. Doug, the owner has several decades of experience and he is a straight up guy.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1969 Ram Air,
Thats great information. I will definitely keep that shop in mind when I build my next engine. There's no way I would go through the clown that I went through before.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Va, you might want to check out Gaydosh in Baltimore for engine work

Old 04-28-2020, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OCMDGTO,
Yeah my buddy went through Gaydosh and had a great experience with him. I should have done a little more research on local builders instead of going through Paul. Paul seemed to have a good reputation on this forum but I notice he doesn't post here anymore after ripping me off. Sure says a lot about him! Gaydosh would be on the short list..thats for sure.