Old 01-10-2021, 09:57 PM

Default Special '68

https://barnfinds.com/rare-leather-o...-GqQ1kUV2sqNsI

If this is for real it is one rare bird!!!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The seat covers look kinda "poofy" like it has those poor repop cushions?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-10-2021, 10:11 PM

I'm curious to hear from anyone here that may know of these cars. 1 of 3 with real leather? Did you read the PHS stuff, 694.1? It looks weird to me too but PHS seems to legitimize this option with the new for '68 Autumn Bronze paint. And to have the 400 HO and drop top. it could bring big bucks!!!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

eBay bidding stopped at $30K.
This car deserved a higher quality listing.
Very nicely optioned car.

Agreed the seat covers look to have been redone - they don't look original. Not that I've seen many/any original leather seats, but I would guess they were the same pattern/shape as other seats, just different material.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 01-11-2021, 02:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
eBay bidding stopped at $30K.
This car deserved a higher quality listing.
Very nicely optioned car.

Agreed the seat covers look to have been redone - they don't look original. Not that I've seen many/any original leather seats, but I would guess they were the same pattern/shape as other seats, just different material.

My 1970 SJ Grand Prix has its original leather interior that is a completely different pattern than the standard vinyl interior. I can’t speak to the Firebird leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

69 Firebird Ram Air IV, 4spd Matador Red/Black-Survivor
70 GTO Ram Air III 4spd Conv. burgundy(currently Black)/White/Black
71 GTO 455HO 4spd, Lucerne Blue/Black/Black
71 GTO 455HO Auto, Lucerne Blue/Sandalwood/Blue
Old 01-11-2021, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Leather '68s have appeared a few times over on the 1st Gen Firebird site.

68 400 HO /w A/C, LEATHER, clock - an ad at an Alberta Canada classified ad website.
https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/...tml#Post279860

leather interior - A Texas owner of a '68
https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/...tml#Post214493

68 Firebird Autumn Bronze out of the booth - "68 Firebird 400 Convt 33 option car:tilt, cruise, AC, 281 trim code leather interior, PDB,PS,P top,headrest, rear antena, Ralley 2's, TH 400, Speedminder speedo buzzer, clock, tinted windows, floor mats, remote mirror, door edge guards, remot decklid release, trunk lamp, saftey track rear, am fm radio, visor vanity mirror, custom seatbelts, console,heavy duty air cleaner, exhaust extensions, tinted glass- all. All factory installed total price $5121.18 !!!"
https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/...tml#Post127444

The best source of 1st Gen history I have found, "The Definitive Firebird and Trans Am Guide 1967- 1969 by Rocky Rotella", indicates, "No known production numbers............." and "..... quite a few have been documented."

Last edited by JimFB400HO; 01-11-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:50 AM

This is so cool to me. Why is this not a bigger thing? They are so rare! That GP is amazing, 1old, I see you have an impressive list of rare cars. You get it! Were GTOs offered in leather? I'm so geeking on this. I remember old timers saying this or that car had leather interior, but always assumed Naugahyde.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStathas View Post
I'm curious to hear from anyone here that may know of these cars. 1 of 3 with real leather? Did you read the PHS stuff, 694.1? It looks weird to me too but PHS seems to legitimize this option with the new for '68 Autumn Bronze paint. And to have the 400 HO and drop top. it could bring big bucks!!!
Leather option for 68 and 69 Firebirds has been discussed here before. Have their own codes on the trim tag, I think 281 for 68, 293 for 69. Saddle tan for 68. Gold for 69. Used the vinyl molded "Custom" trim door/quarter panels, vinyl on seat side panels, leather on the seat faces.

Fairly rare, but I've personally seen more than three 68s in person, so that claim is just one man's speculation. I have a 69 leather interior with power driver seat and fold-down rear.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 69 there were three leather options...
1...as a custom interior option for the Firebird in Gold only (it included all the normal features of the custom interior option but with leather instead of perforated vinyl seating)
2...as part of the Brougham option on Bonneville convertible only, offered in Gold or black (the brougham package also included cut pile carpet, power windows, specific door panels etc)
3...as a custom interior option on the GP offered in Gold, Black and Green (other features of the custom interior included puddle lights on the doors, cut pile carpet and molded sail panel trim etc)

The firebird leather seats matched the same pattern as the regular custom interior oprtion, the Brougham leather also followed the same pattern as the cloth brougham interiors on hardtops but the GP leather had a completely different pattern than the other GP seats.

In 69 all the leather colors were identical to the corresponding vinyl interiors but the 68 Firebird leather interior was not the same as any other 68 Firebird interior, similarly the 70 GP leather interior was also not the same as the vinyl gold interior color. interestingly both the 68 Firebird and 70 GP leather interiors seem to be identical to the 69 gold used on both vinyl and leather interiors.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)