Old 01-19-2021, 03:59 AM

Default P.H.S. VEHICLE WEIGHTS ?

what do yall think about accuracy of this ?
it is not listed until after dealer order #
i am a long way from scaling the car but
curious
thank you

Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Take them with a grain of salt.

Registration weights, base curb, EPA curb, median curb weights are all estimates based on weighing or tracking parts during vehicle development and adding them up, and then fudged based on any hidden motivations like moving the product to a different category.

The only number reported with any real accuracy is GVW, because it is established by the program team (and because they occur in discrete values, rather than a continuum of infinite choices).

It's going to depend on your specific option content and any subsequent modifications and can swing a couple hundred pounds either way.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-19-2021, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67Post GTO...reggie says 3430...scale says 3860

Old 01-19-2021, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
67Post GTO...reggie says 3430...scale says 3860
3860 ..wow full load with a full tank of fuel ? They weigh that much?

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 01-19-2021, 07:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with Keith S very much on this topic.

When I was in Truck Operations, we had Weight Engineers tracking every part that weighed over 3 pounds. All of the 1 pound and 2 pound things not weighed on a vehicle could easily shift that weight between 50 and 150 pounds heavier.

At some point The Weight Guys (with their computers and "End Of Line" very accurate scales) got an accurate weight for each vehicle produced from that line.

The auto companies had none of that computer capability in the 1960s and 1970s.
About the early 90s is when the EPA and CARB were given actual average test weights for a given model/vehicle.
They then fit those vehicles into given ETW Testing segments for Emissions/F.E. and Performance testing.

I did that Emissions job for 7 years and was Ford's "EPA Rep" for several of those years, making sure that the EPA tested our vehicles properly.

So no surprises on the vehicles weights being all over the place on the 1960s vehicles.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ta man...That weight was at the track...so nothing in the trunk, maybe 1/4 tank of gas, and me in the car (160lbs). Still 3700 lbs, way more than the reggie says. My 67 Tempest hardtop reggie say 3349...never weighed that car. So much for the post cars being lighter.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
3860 ..wow full load with a full tank of fuel ? They weigh that much?
It was the lead in the gas.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't speak for the accuracy of the commercial scales that I used, but my 67 GTO hardtop with automatic came in at 3590...with almost no gas.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I can't speak for the accuracy of the commercial scales that I used, but my 67 GTO hardtop with automatic came in at 3590...with almost no gas.
That sounds much more accurate.
The weight gtospieg notes is an inaccurate weight noted on a states registration slip. Definitely not a factory noted weight.

I don't have my copy the '67 Pontiac A-body AMA Spec sheets in front of me, but having owned numerous '67 GTO's, my memory is a '67 GTO SportsCoupe (4207) is listed at a base curb weight of right under 3500 lb in the AMA spec sheets.

Let's say 3480 lbs for the '67 GTO SportsCoupe. That's a Dearborn 3spd, no console, manual steering, no AC, total Bare Bones '67 GTO SportsCoupe. I've owned 3 '67 GTO SportsCoupes & none were that barebones a factory build.

Factory Option weight additions

Add: 28 lbs for column shifted Turbo 400 (instead of Dearborn 3spd)
........31lbs for Pwr Steering
..........8 lbs for AM radio & front fender mounted antennae.
.........22-25lbs for '67 dual gate & console (I can measure later today)
--------------------------
89-92 lbs of VERY frequently ordered options.
Getting real close to carcrazy's amt.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH...I have PS, AC, 4 wheel disc, 5 speed, Global West suspension and 8" wide 17" wheels, and Dynamat...that stuff adds up I'm sure

Old 01-20-2021, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
OPH...I have PS, AC, 4 wheel disc, 5 speed, Global West suspension and 8" wide 17" wheels, and Dynamat...that stuff adds up I'm sure
Definitely, Dynamat is one big weight adder, but I understand why some like to use a bunch of it. In own practice I'm more of the minimal floor insulation set, in weighing it, even lighter than what was originally in my rubber floor covering GT-37. Suspension additions definitely ADD up. The Herb VSE bars weigh more in my '80 T/A than its stock WS6 bars, but years ago in the '80 I scraped out over 60 lbs of rear floor & extra acoustic insulation. For the last 15 years I've become much more acquainted with the AMA listed weights on the '71 233 series (T-37's) & also put to use a few weight saving measures while staying legal in anticipation of participating at the Pure Stock drags.

Looked some more & did find my copy of '67 Pontiac A-body AMA specifications.

Those factory sheets are showing a base '67 GTO SportsCoupe @ 3593lbs. That's with fluids & minimal gasoline (I've been told by one source 2 to 2.5 gals of gasoline) The '67 GTO hardtop is listed at 5lbs more, I was guessing a little more. Oddly, the '67 AMA sheets note add 50 lbs for the TH400. I'm struggling with that number, as the Dearborn HD 3spds are no light transmission. Factory AC, complete OEM '67 GTO, the sheets are noting ADD 124 lbs.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 01-20-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH...I know they say the post cars are lighter, but... I own a post and a hardtop and I haven't seen any differences structurally or otherwise that would lead me to believe one is lighter than the other. If anything it seems like the post cars would be heavier because of the window frame on the door and the post.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's going to take closely examining the inner roof structure as well as the front portion of the inner rear 1/4 panel structure behind the door jamb to figure out where the extra weight is in a 2 door hardtop. Years ago I took the entire floor out of a super solid '72 LeMans GT parts car. Took it in one huge section to the middle of the rockers. There is thick diagonal steel bracing that goes to the inner sheetmetal panel at the floor on a 2 door hardtop. At the time, taking that intact full floor out, I sliced my right index finger open real on one of those cur diagonal braces. Don't believe the '68-72 2 door Coupes have that diagonal brace structure, the rear trim panel extends all the way to the floor. I'll investigate further & take pics.