Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
No offense..but 2nd in your class at Dragweek??
I was off by a position, sorry. I had to retrieve the February 2020 issue of Hot Rod from the crapper. I could run Modified N/A, and 3rd place was 11.625 @ 109. I wouldn't have caught the 2nd place guy.

Seems like Modified N/A is a fairly open and unpopular class. Super Street Big Block NA is way faster.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Last edited by Navy Horn 16; 01-22-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Q'jet was / is a fine carburetor it made its debut in 1967 check the calendar

Alot of the so called fuel injection units today aren't much more than a computerized carburetor squirting fuel in a body that looks like a carb so they will have marginal improvements over a well tuned carb.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Horn 16 View Post
I was off by a position, sorry. I had to retrieve the February 2020 issue of Hot Rod from the crapper. I could run Modified N/A, and 3rd place was 11.625 @ 109. I wouldn't have caught the 2nd place guy.

Seems like Modified N/A is a fairly open and unpopular class. Super Street Big Block NA is way faster.
Wait, so you didn't actually do drag week? You just used your times to slot yourself in where specific competitors were?

That's like me saying my car runs 11.20's at 122 mph because that's what the ET/MPH correction calculator said based on the weather conditions of my actual 13.38@104 time slip.

If you're going to be super critical about something or somebody in regards to their information, hold yourself to the same standard.

Last edited by JLMounce; 01-22-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
The Q'jet was / is a fine carburetor it made its debut in 1967 check the calendar

Alot of the so called fuel injection units today aren't much more than a computerized carburetor squirting fuel in a body that looks like a carb so they will have marginal improvements over a well tuned carb.
Sprint sixes had them in 1966 IIRC

Old 01-22-2021, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

From the rule book
Modified is the class for small-tire cars with the most liberal level of modifications and a non-stock rear
suspension configuration, including back-half cars. Vehicles in Modified must have modifications that prevent
them from running in Super Street

•The rear suspension must use a non-stock parallel four-link, ladder bars, a conversion from IRS to solid axle,
or other significant departure from the stock suspension concept

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 01-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455dan View Post
Sprint sixes had them in 1966 IIRC
Chevy 396 had them in 1965.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little off-topic but here is some more info on the Q-jet.

The first Q-jets showed up in 1965 on Big Block Chevy and Olds. The 1965-66 and some early 1967 units are horrible, and gave the entire line-up a bad reputation.

The biggest problems with the 1965-66 units are the weighted secondary airflap shaft deal and the fuel inlet valve (the "bog" horribly even with the best efforst spent to tune them). HORRIBLE design as they used a valve and bypass system for fuel control. That carried over into 1967 but was completely eliminated by 1968.

100 percent of the carbs I've worked on from 1965-1968 have leaked at the bottom plugs. The fixed that problem in 1969 by swaging in aluminum plugs vs just tapping in brass cup plugs. Even so EVERYONE smears JB Weld or cheap non fuel resistant epoxy all over the bottom plugs and at least 95 percent of them weren't leaking right to start with.

By the time Rochester fixed all the problems with early units it was too late, they couldn't get past the bad reputation. I got into the hobby in the mid-1970's and back then EVERYONE who even got near a muscle car or anything they were trying to improve the performance of would instantly tell you to throw the Quadra-Junk in the dumpster and put a Holley on it.

I was lucky, as I'd have to fart in my pocket to have a cent so exploited factory carburetors (and other items) for my engines to improve power and performance without having to go out and buy very much.

It's pretty cool that these days we see folks ditching aftermarket carbs in favor of factory pieces, so we've turned things around some. Even so there are and always will be folks associated with this hobby that bad mouth many factory parts even though many have next to zero real experience with them and very limited knowledge with these things. This brings up a phone call that I got yesterday and cool story to go with it. A few weeks ago I was contacted by a guy down South who was getting into building Q-jets for circle track racing. We had a long discussion and I ended up sending him a "turn-key" package for a carb he was working on. He called yesterday to tell me that the dyno shop that tested his Q-jet also ran it against several other Q-jets and a couple of Holley carbs that were all set-up for the type and power level of circle track 355 SBC they were dynoing. He said that the engine/dyno shop was so impressed they want him to build four more Quadrajets just like the one he just did for them. He said the Q-jet he did outran all the other carbs and was super-smooth for transition and clean thru the entire power range. I told him that this wasn't a big surprise and ALL the circle track carbs sent here to be tuned have been missing the choke pull-offs and link up the secondaries, which makes it impossible to get a clean transition vs using a timed pull-off instead. Anyhow, just another cool story with this topic and my only contribution to it was high performance parts and some specific tuning advice.

As far as it relates to this topic and what others do it really doesn't matter. I've been at this deal long enough to know what works and what doesn't. It's not about just bolting on parts these days. With all the good knowledge that is out there I see no excuse for coming up way short of the intended goals for your project but you still have to sift thru all the information that's out there and decide what applies to what you are doing. Even today there isn't a rule-book for doing any of this, and for sure some folks are happy with a lot less as they will be evaluating engine power by how well it spins the tires in a hard right hand turn leaving Dairy Queen, where other are looking for there car to run race car ET/MPH in full street trim.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-23-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My post wasn't a history lesson for the Q'jet though it did work for its time, it's time IS over just like many automotive foot notes in time, the Ford flathead V8 was a spiffy item at one time as well.

Soon fuel injection will all be direct which is about 3 -4 generations deep into injection tech then electric cars will be forced upon us and your earth killing Pontiac will no longer be able to be registered/ insured values will go to zero or scrap, have a nice day

Last edited by Formulas; 01-23-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! That's a hard look at reality. Direct injection and Hybrid/plug in electric cars have their own host of serious issues/problems. Time marches forward for better and worse. I still think Flathead Fords are cool and rebuilt one for a customer a few years ago. Stationary gasoline engines are still running and there are shows and Fairs dedicated to there preservation. Our old Pontiacs that are daily drivers will likely decrease in value and be scrapped as they fall apart from age and drop in interest. A small minority of the special models, restored cars and "hobby" cars will survive for generations to come for the few that are interested. JMO.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Wait, so you didn't actually do drag week? You just used your times to slot yourself in where specific competitors were?

That's like me saying my car runs 11.20's at 122 mph because that's what the ET/MPH correction calculator said based on the weather conditions of my actual 13.38@104 time slip.

If you're going to be super critical about something or somebody in regards to their information, hold yourself to the same standard.
I made no such claim to having run drag week. I posted my times, my car, on a pretty detailed SINGLE DAY, and said where it would have placed in a particular class. That was in the answer to "how does it drive". If that's what you took from those time slips, then you are just looking for nits to pick.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Last edited by Stuart; 01-26-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I made no such claim to having run drag week. I posted my times, my car, on a pretty detailed SINGLE DAY, and said where it would have placed in a particular class. That was in the answer to "how does it drive". If that's what you took from those time slips, then you are just looking for nits to pick. .
You car wouldn't have been allowed to enter Modified N/A unless you meet the rules for it. Check out my previous post.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471

Last edited by Stuart; 01-26-2021 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
You car wouldn't have been allowed to enter Modified N/A unless you meet the rules for it. Check out my previous post.
Not that it matters for my point, but that would depend on how they split the atom on "significant departure from the stock suspension".

They don't seem to care if you run solid axle or IRS, there just has to be some modification to stock. I'm already too modified to run Pure Stock Drags, maybe not modified enough to run Modified NA. I don't know. If not a set of traction bars should do it and those are a couple hundred bucks. I'd also have to take the passenger seat out. But again, that was never the point I was trying to make.

And dammit, now you have me wondering how fast the car would go if I did make the "layup" changes to fit in that class. All of which involve removing seats, installing a cage, changing tires and adding heavy suspension components that I don't even need to go fast....and they would all hurt driveablity. Which is the point that I was originally getting to.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I'm think I'm gonna write a book..............

The title: How to Get a FREE Dynomometer without really trying!! Not.

But seriously, I will quote all the good info from HO Racing and Jim Hand and Rocky and Nunzi and Cliff R and SD Performance and High Performance Pontiac and the many other GOOD information sources for all things Pontiac - with attribution, of course.

And I will point out the errors from those sources that need to be pointed out - especially from Paul Sandoval and Bruce Flupper - again with 100% attribution to the original sources.

(I need to point out that Bruce has raised 1/3 of one percent of his total beg amount. Whoo hoo!)

As for myself, I am enjoying the thread. Carry on.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Meh......Jim just isn't used to the way we do things around here that's all. Once he's been around long enough he'll get on board.

He should be grateful at least this thread stayed civil. And since when did all this interesting discussion become a crime? I think we determined early on the Sandoval deal as that ran it's course in the first few posts, the rest is just chit chat among like minded car guys. No harm no foul. It is the internet after all.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

041 cam threads still go on for several pages.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I find most of the longer threads are answered within the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the first page. The rest is usually slightly off topic, completely off topic or a pi$$ing contest.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-26-2021, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Hmmmm. Seems my post between Formulajones and PunchT37 has vaporized.

Stuart, love ya man. OK, you can now delete this one too.

Closed Thread