Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-16-2021, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TH350 Pan Options

Hi Guys, I would like to replace my stock pan with no drain plug to one with a drain plug.

Looking at Jegs and Summit, I read bad reviews for stamped steel pans leaking, clearance issues, cracks. Same for the cast pans. Some pans hit the filter too!

Have you bought one that does not have these issues for a TH350. My transmission shift cable bracket mounts to my pan with two of the pan bolts.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	558591  

Old 01-16-2021, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

B&M makes a trans drain plug kit that will go on any pan and I have used many times and it does not leak and is dirt cheap!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-16-2021, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
B&M makes a trans drain plug kit that will go on any pan and I have used many times and it does not leak and is dirt cheap!
Thank you. I saw those and some said the leak. Does is allow you to drain the whole pan. Do you install on bottom or side of pan. thank you!

Old 01-17-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I put mine on the bottom of the pan and most of the fluid can be taken out but for maybe you’ll have 1/2 qt left in the pan.

If you put the plug in to the left or right side bottom of the pan you can jack the car up a tad on the opposite side and get the pan drained out to near dry if you prefer.

These do come with hard Nylon washers to seal them up, and I have used a thin film of form-a-gasket to get it leak free.
The last time I used one I went thru a auto parts store oil drain plug gasket draw and found 2 nice compressible gaskets that fit and I used those in place of the Nylon ones in the kit.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used one of these PML pans on my 200r4. Fits very well, nice piece. I would recommend it. https://yourcovers.com/transpan_9589.php

Old 01-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I used one of these PML pans on my 200r4. Fits very well, nice piece. I would recommend it. https://yourcovers.com/transpan_9589.php
Those look nice.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cast aluminum pans are nice, and typically leak free. I think I have a few spare TH350 pans in the shop with drain plugs in them. Will take a look when I get out there later today........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I said screw it and painted the one I have. I will just plan on taking a bath in ATF every few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	559051  

Old 01-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a welder?

When I want to add one to a steel pan, I just weld a 1/2-13 nut to the back side and use a typical oil pan drain plug with a gasket. You can buy those at any auto store for pennies or rob it out of an old oil pan laying around. Cheap and takes 5 minutes.

We've run the deep cast aluminum pans on a couple of 400 turbos here for at least 30 years and they work fine as well. Although they've gotten a little pricey since the last time I bought one, lol.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put drain plugs into stamped-steel trans pans on my own vehicles. It's not hard, and it doesn't cost much. I've used "drain plug kits", I've welded/brazed nuts inside the pan, and I've used generic bulkhead fittings and a hardware-store nylon gasket. I don't do any of that any more.

Eventually, I figured out that I can pop a cooler tube off at the radiator cooler, drain the pan by pumping it out the cooler tube with the engine running. Costs nothing, extremely easy to do. When I refill the pan, I can pump new fluid through the converter, flushing all the old fluid out that same cooler tube. Depending on the size of the torque converter, 10- 15 quarts of fluid flushes and fills the transmission except for the servos, accumulators, and whatever is trapped in the valve body and clutch drums. (about a quart or so, maybe less.)

I don't see a point to a drain plug any more. And a drain plug that you don't install, absolutely cannot leak or drag on on an obstruction.

Last edited by Schurkey; 01-22-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Except that you might want to get in there and change the filter???

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-22-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
I said screw it and painted the one I have. I will just plan on taking a bath in ATF every few years.
Looks great! I did the same after cracking a B&M aluminum deep pan. Buyers beware of the deep pans, speed bumps are vicious!

Old 01-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Guys. Following the shop manual, I added 3 quarts of AFT. Started the car and the trans puked 1/4 of a quart on the ground. It does not look like the pan was leaking. Looks like it came from behind the torque converter plastic cover. Car went into all gears fine.

I went back under the car, checked the torque specs on all the cover bolts and it was fine.

I checked the dipstick and it was registering fluid on the end. I added some more AFT. Started the car and no fluid is leaking. Still goes into all gears.

Any idea what happened.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Except that you might want to get in there and change the filter???
Drive into the garage. jack-up and support vehicle as needed. Drop the cooler tube, direct the fluid into a BIG drain pan. If you're really clever, you drop the cooler outlet tube, and stuff a one- or two-foot long temporary tube you buy at a parts-store into the cooler, to direct the fluid into the drain pan.

Start engine. Trans pump moves fluid from trans pan to drain pan. As soon as the fluid coming out of the cooler tube reduces volume, or has air in it, shut off engine.

Trans pan is now "almost" empty. Doesn't drip all over you or spill when the pan bolts are removed. You didn't need a drain plug. Remove pan, change filter, (and filter seal as needed) clean pan and magnet, (if equipped) straighten pan flange as needed, reinstall pan with new gasket as needed.

Add ~5 qts fluid via the funnel crammed into the dipstick tube. Open another 6--10 quarts so they're ready. Start engine, pour fluid down funnel as fast as you can dump it in. Watch color of fluid spewing into drain pan. When fluid looks virgin-fresh like the stuff you're pouring into the funnel, shut off engine, re-connect cooler tube. If you used the temporary tube in the cooler outlet, you've even flushed the cooler.

Remove jack stands, lower vehicle. Start engine, warm-up transmission, top off fluid as needed. Look for leaks at the cooler tube and pan gasket. Dump old fluid back into the now-empty bottles in preparation to drop-off at recycling center, or into someone's waste-oil furnace.

You now have new filter, clean trans pan, (and magnet) and 90%+ of the fluid has been replaced with fresh, clean stuff. You're done.

Drink celebratory beverages. When you've recovered, deliver the old fluid to recycling center.

Last edited by Schurkey; 01-22-2021 at 07:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post #10 and #14--Thanks Schurkey. I'd forgotten about this trick. Back in the '80's when my wife bought a new '84 Reliant coupe (shhh, she really is a good person) and old mechanic in the neighborhood advised me to use this trick to change the tranny oil with out a lot of fuss (he also advised using the Mopar v8 oil filter to replace the "teacup" oil filter and gain some additional oil for the engine). She eventually traded it for V6 Camry as she had a new job 50 miles away all interstate 70+mph, too much for the old 2.2.

I'm going to use this trick on my GTO's TH400 as who knows when previous owners ever changed the oil and it sounds like it will clean it up good and make filter replacement easier (less messy). Thanks again.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 01-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any ideas why the trans spit fluid out which ran out the hole in the torque converter dust cover. I took the cover off and the torque converter and area around it are completely dry.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
Any ideas why the trans spit fluid out which ran out the hole in the torque converter dust cover. I took the cover off and the torque converter and area around it are completely dry.
I have no idea. I was originally thinking it blew fluid out the vent--but that wouldn't drip out of the hole in the dust cover.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Got a welder?

When I want to add one to a steel pan, I just weld a 1/2-13 nut to the back side and use a typical oil pan drain plug with a gasket. You can buy those at any auto store for pennies or rob it out of an old oil pan laying around. Cheap and takes 5 minutes.

We've run the deep cast aluminum pans on a couple of 400 turbos here for at least 30 years and they work fine as well. Although they've gotten a little pricey since the last time I bought one, lol.
I've done this on a couple pans. I used a 3/8" fine thread bolt, I tack welded a nut on the back side and then just used a 3/8" fine thread bolt with a nylon or copper washer.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge