Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Default 70 GTO Back Window Package Tray

I am restoring my 70 GTO and I replaced the back window Package Tray cardboard.

I first spray glued the aproximatley 1/8" jute new

Then I spray glued the cardboard set up to the jute

The problem is that in the las vegas desert the coardboard warped in one month

Does any one have a trick idea on how to get the package tray look totally flat in the heat.

I thought of using a piece of metal cut out to the package tray dimensions but the screen material for the package tray wont come off the cardboard.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70peppergreen View Post
I am restoring my 70 GTO and I replaced the back window Package Tray cardboard.

I first spray glued the aproximatley 1/8" jute new

Then I spray glued the cardboard set up to the jute

The problem is that in the las vegas desert the coardboard warped in one month

Does any one have a trick idea on how to get the package tray look totally flat in the heat.

I thought of using a piece of metal cut out to the package tray dimensions but the screen material for the package tray wont come off the cardboard.
I think they just sit there ....no glue

Old 07-05-2016, 12:41 PM

I've read before that others have used wooden paint stirrer sticks glued to the back of the cardboard package tray in a repeating 'W' pattern to act as a stiffener to prevent warping. They claim it is the only way to stop the warping with the repro shelves as the board material isn't as good as the originals. Glue the sticks to the cardboard and throw a brick on top of the stick as a weight till the glue dries. I'll be replacing my shelf soon and that is what I plan to do as well. They've stated you can also remove some of the jute slightly where the wooden sticks are to give the back a uniform thickness before final installation. Those threads are in the PYO forums if you search those keywords. I would think about 6 sticks should do the trick. You may not be able to straighten out your warped panel with that method, likely applies to new only.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Suspended

X2 , about 2 years ago I suggested to do that about the paint stix & it worked very good for me when I did it about 4 years ago. The paint stix can be gotten at any hardware store & then just glue the to the back of the package deck. Mine is still flat after 6 or so years now. It will make it a little heavier to so it stays flat a lot longer , almost as long as the originals.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

to be clear are you talking about the mesh style or the plain carboard one? Either way you should just lay the insulation down onto the sheetmetal with no glue and then also no glue for the panel itself. They just lay in there except for a bit of glue to position the vinyl front flap behind the seat.

Anything that wets the cardboard will warp it, including the glue but especially spray paint to color match it. Dye it very gently with very light passes of paint so it never soaks the cardboard.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Would a 70 GTO with C50 rear defroster (blower type) have a mesh package shelf or cardboard one ?

Old 12-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Church View Post
Would a 70 GTO with C50 rear defroster (blower type) have a mesh package shelf or cardboard one ?
The only '70 GTO I've pulled an original '69-70 style rear blower defogger from still had its original cardboard rear pkg tray cover. Factory Stereo Radio A-body received the up style mesh pkg tray cover.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My understanding is that the presence of a factory installed rear speaker is what triggered the mesh package shelf liner as opposed to just painted cardboard. I’ve never seen factory documentation or an example of rear defog impacting the type of package shelf liner. This is also logical since the defog vent goes in from above regardless.

Factory installed rear speakers are hidden by the mesh package shelf, the speakers mounted with clip in place studs with nuts from below securing the speaker.

If a speaker was dealer added the cardboard liner is cut out and a rectangular steel speaker grille goes in from above.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you Gentlemen!