Old 09-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default '63 Turn Signal Switch Information

Both cancel tabs were broken off my '63 turn signal switch cam. I quickly learned that this switch is not readily available, so I started looking for alternatives. I have a '65 Lemans switch which looked possible as a retrofit, but would take considerable modification since the handle lever attaches with a screw rather than threaded and also the horn contact is the opposite with the spring-loaded button stationary and the ring rotates with the wheel.

I searched eBay and found a cam that looked extremely similar - Sorensen TP-111 for '63-'66 AMC Ambassador. This is just the cam and requires you to pop off the retainer and slide the old cam off the oval center pivot of the old switch. The part came in and all the dimensions looked correct except it is slightly thinner. I popped it on the shaft and it works the switch mechanism perfectly. The locking tabs have the correct pressure and the electrical sliders move properly. Since it is thinner, I haven't decided whether to shim the piece underneath which will raise it up for better engagement of the cancel tabs with the steering wheel cam, but will give the slider pins less engagement. I will try it first without shimming.

I will post again once I have it fully tested with the steering wheel installed. I've also attached a picture of the switch with the cam removed and a diagram of the contacts for reference. I cleaned the electrical contacts and retensioned the two curved pieces to ensure good contact. Remember since the brake lights pass through this switch, bad contacts here can cause intermittent issues with both turn signals and brake lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5673.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	550056

Name:	Signal plate.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	550057

Name:	IMG_5668.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	550058

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 09-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Senior Chief

Since the new part was about .120" thinner than the original part, I needed to shim it out so that the cancel arms aligned with the cam and also so they cleared the horn ring. Unfortunately, shimming that much disengaged the pins from the switch sliders. To solve the problem I shaved a .120" shim from the original part that included the slots for the slider pins. After adding the shim, I installed the wheel and found that the cancel arms were not engaging properly. I had to take a heat gun and soften the plastic and change the angle of them. Everything works well now.

Shim: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5677.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	550108

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures