Old 09-30-2020, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default 195 Fuel Pump Eccentric

Hi there - I'm hoping the 195 experts can help me here. My car had a block-off plate installed and was using an electric fuel pump mounted near the tank. I don't like that and wish to go back to the factory mechanical pump. I pulled the block-off plate and decided to inspect to make sure the eccentric was present (having just watched the Roadkill episode where it was missing on the '71 T-37). It is, but it didn't look right compared to the several '65+ V8 eccentrics that I have installed. The inner ring stuck out way beyond the outer ring, and the outer ring has a lip at the back edge. The outer ring is not captive, and I can slide it back and forth along the inner piece. Is this unique to the 195, or do all the early V8 engines use this design too? I assume the lip at the back will catch on the fuel pump arm and prevent the ring from sliding all the way forward where it would rub on the timing cover.

I'm just hoping for some confirmation that this is normal so I can proceed with the pump installation. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	550654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_005.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	550655  

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 10-01-2020, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like you found out why the car has an electric fuel pump. It should be tight against the camshaft end, if not it will not pump the mechanical pump. Also, the 4 cylinder pump is smaller than the normal pump. The engine is offset on the mounts. The larger pump will not fit between the engine and the steering box.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Sounds like you found out why the car has an electric fuel pump. It should be tight against the camshaft end, if not it will not pump the mechanical pump. Also, the 4 cylinder pump is smaller than the normal pump. The engine is offset on the mounts. The larger pump will not fit between the engine and the steering box.
I found a picture from the 1961 GM Parts Catalog that clearly shows this style eccentric with the lip on it, so I now think this is correct. I had never seen this early style eccentric before, so it concerned me. The inner piece is tight against the cam gear. My concern was that the outer piece is not captive to the inner piece and can slide forward, but the lip is there to prevent it from going too far.

I do have the correct small pump for the application #4843.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eccentric.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	550683  

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 10-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The outer piece is loose & meant to move back & forth. Should be just fine to bolt in the new pump. Do you have the correct pump bolts? The correct bolts have a 3/8 -12 point head on them so your socket will clear the pump body.

POCI.org
Old 10-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, Keith. I was not aware of the special bolts. I used standard 9/16" head bolts. The kind with the built-in washer. My socket was tight and at a slight angle when installing, but no issues.

I used a straight nipple on the inlet port and a 90º on the outlet. Did the factory use a hardline from the pump to carb on these? I know it's safer than hose, but I'm using hose for now with an inline metal filter.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use rubber from pump to carb with an inline also. No issues.

POCI.org