Old 12-30-2020, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
I've often noticed that blotching on repop glass, especially so if you are wearing polarized glasses. I suspect it's a byproduct of small batch manufacturing. The other issues with repop glass are de-laminating of the windshield glass and wavy glass surface (most noticeable on the windshield).
Yes, the waves, or ripples are noticeable in the side & quarter glass too.
Have to look to see them, but once you notice it, they are easy to detect.

I still have all my glass. Sides have random light scratches & rears have the typical scrapes that almost all convertible glass gets from the button on the weatherstrip.

I am not trying to lean on the the product too much. It was the best option as the price was reasonable & I didn't want scratches in the glass. So it's a good value & glad we have the option to replace them. But I would have paid more for something close to oem.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, maybe I jumped the gun? If I have something that's going to bother me forever, that's going be a no go. I'll return it unused.
I can't imagine this being polished out. Hundreds of pinholes all over the glass. Heavy where I took the pic, scattered through the rest of the glass and heavy again at the top. When I first saw it years ago, I thought it was epoxy primer overspray. Tried to polish it off and noticed that the polish actually filled the holes and grabbed the polishing cloth and that made me realize that they actually were holes and not something on the surface. We're talking 15 years ago probably.
Like I said, it was supposed to be swapped out when I painted but I couldn't immediately find one and I was ready to paint it after 10 years. The last few months, I have been addressing all the little things that bother me and this is one of them.
One thing that I have wondered about...that method they use to repair chips in windshields...some type of epoxy? I wonder....???

Old 12-31-2020, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its amazing how easily glass gets etched from grinding. years ago I ruined a piece of glass on a car I was restoring. I was grinding welds & the glass was across the shop, but no doubt some hot sparks or metal were hitting it, I just didn't pay attention at the time. Took me a while to figure out what happened to it after I finally noticed them.

If I had to do it over again, I would still by the glass from Auto city. Was not a huge investment & there is nothing better than clean clear glass. Scratches just ruin a perfectly detailed car. But there are some downsides & the oem glass is unquestionably better. But finding some or restoring it to the condition of new is the problem. Gotta figure out what parts of it you can live with. I spent many hours & $'s on all the stainless trim & re-chroming so all of my brightwork & glass had no scratches. It makes a huge difference imo.

If there was a place that could get rid of the scratches on the oem glass I would pursue that, but I am guessing if its a hired process, it would be far more money than replacing it. I am hanging on to my oem glass just in case. Pilkington also offers date etched glass. Wonder if its the same stuff?.

One potential downside to sanding and polishing out scratches is if too much is taken off, you can get waves in the glass after. understandable if you remove material I suppose. Probably the same result as sanding clearcoat from a relection perspective.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-31-2020, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Its amazing how easily glass gets etched from grinding. years ago I ruined a piece of glass on a car I was restoring. I was grinding welds & the glass was across the shop, but no doubt some hot sparks or metal were hitting it, I just didn't pay attention at the time. Took me a while to figure out what happened to it after I finally noticed them.
You know, I'm 99% sure that that is exactly what happened to mine and I was the one who did it. I did a lot of metal work on my roof and I think that's when I did it. Like you said, took awhile before I noticed it and even then, I just thought it was epoxy primer splatter.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will do the same to the crystal on my watch too. I forget to take it off before welding or grinding ... which I often do with short gloves instead of gauntlets.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Okay, I got the glass today and I'm pleased with it so far. Question-
1. Where do you get this rubber u-channel, glass setting tape or whatever you call it?
2. Is there supposed to be anything on this rivet on the leading end of the lower sash channel?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2021, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ames sells the rubber for 64-67. Two different thickness's for 64-65. F224J and F224K. Maybe that will work for you. Or any glass shop should have it.

There's a nylon piece that is riveted to the sash panel. It rides in the front window channel. It was used for the vent window hardtop cars.
Not reproduced from what I can see. I found a good one in a 72 Skylark four door HDTP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F030B029-F617-4F11-BF3A-5EDA0D306132_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	557685   Click image for larger version

Name:	F85A66E4-746A-4BA0-A4FD-84AC7F1FD9CB_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	557686   Click image for larger version

Name:	250FAE3E-449D-4225-B473-9E4651BDC6E8_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	557687  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-06-2021, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't remember the reason, but I didn't have much luck with the rolls of window setting tape. they just kinda broke down easily as I recall. I did use it to hold the edges on the quarter glass trim, but on the side glass I re-used the orignal rubber. I think I might have put the channel in a vise and pinched it just a smidge tighter though. OR opened it a little. I think the after market glass was just a fuzz thinner or it was wider. lol Wasn't that long ago & I am already forgetting some of those details. I usually bounced that stuff off you guys so I probably have a thread on it somewhere.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-06-2021, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.
Ed, if you get a chance could you shoot a couple of pics of that thing with a ruler? I think I could probably fabricate it from something.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now there is a perfect product to be reproduced using 3D printing in nylon.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The glass has already been installed but I'll look to see if I kept the broken piece. If I did, I'll send it to you.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok thanks. I don't think that will be necessary... I just took a closer look at your pics and that gives me a pretty good idea of size and thickness.
If you could describe what it actually does, I might be able to duplicate the function, that is, wing it.
Where exactly does it ride? In the vent window channel that extends down into the door? That seems logical as the nylon would ride easily on the fuzzy sash channel without ripping. If that's the case, I think I could modify a couple of large nylon washers to serve the function.

Apparently, it works ok without it as I don't see a trace of it down in the door innards and it's never been there as long as I've owned the car.
In the meanwhile, I will google some pics. Might solve my problem.
Thanks again fellas.
PS- My rubber glass setting channel is still very flexible and I got it out in one piece, so I think I'll be able to use it again...and found a pretty good image.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-07-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, if you get stuck on anything ... all the original working glass is still in my GTO and I have a full set of spare glass with all the mechanisms etc. that I can take pictures of.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres a few more photos Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C5BD9E8-5ED5-49DD-8546-77C8C282730C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	557806   Click image for larger version

Name:	732832AC-874D-4959-8D68-D02E88F8280B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	557807   Click image for larger version

Name:	33FB0DC6-98C7-4269-A2D1-3E79AE3FBC7B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	557808  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I'm clear on it now. Excellent pics Ed.
Just digging around my scrap collection for something suitable to fabricate that out of. Thanks guys. I'll post a pic when I get it done.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saying ... McMaster has slippery UHMW Polyethylene in bars that you can probably order already the right width and thickness, in one foot sections, about $5.

It's missing from both the spare door glasses I have ... Wonder if it's still on my original windows. I probably already have some UHMW lying around .... if I remember right it machines ok with a sharp mill. I've turned it on a lathe no problem before .. not sure if I ever milled any.

If anyone has a loose one lying around .... and some spare time.... think how much fun it would be to get out some calipers and measure one up

Old 01-08-2021, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda surprising it's not being made seeing that all the other little doodads are in the catalog. It's pretty much the only thing missing other than that rubber sash setting deal.
Anyway, found this which I think will be functional at least. It's originally from a closet sliding door floor track. If it was a little wider it'd be nearly perfect.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet. That looks like it will work fine.

Did it start out as one of these?

Or one of these?

Old 01-09-2021, 04:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep...the bottom one.
It's surprising that no one makes it since they make all of the other doodads except the rubber for setting the glass in the channel.
I haven't put the rivet in yet because I'm not sure if I'm going to place it the way it is in the picture. I may slit the top side so that I can center it. That way I think I could get by with just one rivet. The way it is now, it's going to pivot a little bit.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it already have a hollow cavity to slip the metal into?