Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-17-2021, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To demonstrate an extreme example of why to never trust catalog stated pressures. Years ago I purchased a set of Lunati valve springs from Butler. When tested at 1.920" one spring was 220 lbs. The spring chart suggested at 1.900" they should be 171 lbs ! We checked the calibration on the Rimac spring tester but still found others were similar. I called and spoke with David Butler about it, he later called back and confirmed he had two other sets on his shelf that tested around 230 at 1.900". Later I spoke with a spring engineer at Lunati and passed on the information, he suggested a mislabeled box they came in.

And this is worth repeating regarding a loss of pressure, personally I've seen as much as 14 pounds on the seat after a dyno session. And recently I mentioned a build where the valve springs were set up for a hyd flat tappet application with an initial setting of 130 lbs on the seat, knowing they would lose pressure with run in. The actual pressure after a day on the dyno was 122 pounds.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-19-2021, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Regarding the Crower High Pressure Pin Oiling (HIPPO).

Talk to the Crower Rep regarding a extra hole for additional high pressure pin oiling, one on each side of the bearing axle. When I had my Crower solid roller lifters rebuilt for a small extra charge they added the second hole.

Will do. Thanks for the information.