Old 01-18-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
I was asked in a PM about the Q-Logic kick panels and what mods are required to use them.

You will lose the function of both kick vents, and there is no mounting provision for the cable to control the dash vents. I am converting to aftermarket A/C and had already lost the passenger side kick vent for hose routing, so this was not a problem for me.

The dimmer switch is not reachable with speakers installed if it is left in the stock location. I had to move it to the right by around 1 3/4" to make it accessible (best done BEFORE cutting hole in new carpet which I caught in time).

Finally, the parking brake pedal and arm must be modified as it will hit the speaker. My car is a manual trans so parking brake not optional.

I cut my arm, bent it to the required angle, welded it back up, then cut off the pedal pad and re-welded at the correct angle.

These extensive mods are not for everyone...I knew what was required from reading reviews on the Chevelle site before purchasing and would rather go this route then cut holes in the door panels for smaller speakers.
Do you have a pic of the Q-Logic kick panels?

I didn't have to move the dimmer switch with the ones I got from Ames, it was totally accessible.

For the brake pedal, I trimmed about a 1/4" from the pedal pad, and used an aftermarket (Lokar) billet pedal pad, mounted slightly to the right. Clears the speaker just fine.

On A/C cars, the kick vents are inoperable anyway, so no loss.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KickPanel01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	558752   Click image for larger version

Name:	KickPanel02.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	558753   Click image for larger version

Name:	KickPanel03.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	558754  

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-19-2021, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post #3 shows a pic of the passenger side.

Below are pics of the driver side, also of relocated dimmer switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210118_224056.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	558769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_224101.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	558770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_224142.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	558771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210118_224258.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	558772  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-19-2021, 08:50 AM

those Q Logics do look real nice in there no doubt at all. Gonna have to think some more about this option also.

Thanks everyone

Old 01-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder why the Q logic ones fire more towards the firewall and under dash? I would think one would design them to fire the exact opposite direction, like towards the center of the cabin and up?

If you look at some of the other Q logic ones they actually do fire in the more optimum direction.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	QForms01.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	558785  

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 01-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
I wonder why the Q logic ones fire more towards the firewall and under dash? I would think one would design them to fire the exact opposite direction, like towards the center of the cabin and up?

If you look at some of the other Q logic ones they actually do fire in the more optimum direction.

This may be related to the less than optimum space on the driver's side and an attempt to make them fit without too many mods, which you still need to do. In comparing the passenger and driver side panels, the passenger side points the speakers towards the passenger much better than the driver side towards the driver.

The tweeters are pointed better than the woofers, and the ones I am using swivel to provide better alignment, so at least the highs will get to me

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 01-19-2021, 12:05 PM

Michael, how thick were the 6.5 inch speakers you used for the QLogic enclosures? I have been out of the stereo scene so long that I did not realize that there are really great speakers made now in 6.5 inch size. Just got to get them thick enough for the base response.

Mark

Old 01-19-2021, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Alpine SPR-60C units I used had a mounting depth of 2 3/8".

The Q-Logic kick panels are listed as working with max speaker depth of 2 3/8"

When I mock them up, the magnet just touches the sheet metal around the hinge/vent area. Due to the way the speaker is tilted towards the driver, the larger the magnet, the more interference you will run into. It is not possible to gain any clearance by tapping in the sheet metal with a hammer as there are several strength members behind the panel that the speaker touches.

My advice for anyone considering the Q-Logic kick panels is to shop for speakers first...if you can't find a 6.5" unit you like that has a small magnet and depth of 2 3/8" or less, it is a nonstarter.

If you find speakers that will work, then be prepared for the parking brake pedal mods, relocation of dimmer switch, and loss of kick vents as well as control knobs for dash vents.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics of DS peaker and where it touches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210119_142011.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	558811   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210119_142046.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	558812  

Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
Do you have pics of your sub install? Curious how you did that.

I cut out my rear deck, used MDF for the whole shelf, and build enclosures for a pair of 10" subs. If you wanted, you could buy a replacement rear shelf and seat brace, they are available.

My amp board I put all the way against the rear seats.

No I forgot to get pics of that when I did it. It's 2 sealed enclosures. angled to fire through the seat. Then I made the amp board and it is flush against the back of the sub enclosures. Next it going to use some more MDF and make side panels to finish out the trunk and hide the battery. Then make a false bottom or just carpet the floor.

The sub enclosures I had already built for a Jeep. So I just shortened the box on the width by removing material in the middle where there used to be the amp mounting.

Edit: The sub box sits on the upper part of the trunk floor.

The 6x9 are in isolation chambers as well. The subs were making the trim rings come off.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:50 AM

This is excellent info!!!! Friday morning I am going to the place that just installed a remote start in the wife's Sooby, they are the best stereo place around. Now that I have a ton of info to help make decisions I can talk to them with confidence of what I want from a purchase from them. I would like to do the install myself and make any mods myself. Ya can't learn without trying.

Thanks again everyone, I will let you know how I make out on Friday.

Mark

Old 01-20-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Kenwood KFC-X174 6.5", pretty sure my kick panels are the RetroSound ones. They are 3 5/16" depth, here are full specs:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/exce...x174/spec.html

They clear the body.

After I went thru the install, I realized I could have used the shallow subs, and pre-made enclosures that were half the size/cubic ft., and just screwed/glued them to the underside of the MDF in the deck.

I carpeted the enclosures, and used PV amp corner protectors.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:58 PM

nice speakers!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2021, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went to a lot of trouble 35 years ago to install a newly introduced Sony disc changer, two small amps, an FM module, & a pair of Kenwood 6x9's under the package tray of my modded '80 turbo T/A. The controller for the stereo was hooked up via its cable & came through the carpet under the passenger bucket seat. When not in use, my GF & I made sure the controller was tucked under the seat. For the last 25 years, there have been wireless controllers. Specifically went the hidden route as I desired to not mount a front end unit in the stock radio opening which I reinstalled it's block off plate. I only lived in apartments for less than 3 years but it was a challenge. Owning a TransAm that appeared to not have any factory stereo equipment definitely saved it from being broken in to. Removing the t-top handles & leaving the console lid open w nothing in it also helped keep the car from being broken into. For 20+ years I've had a Pioneer CD changer & F/E unit in my Cummins Dodge. Both The Pioneer & the Sony changers have worked well.

There is no way I'd cut up the dash in any of my '71's or 72's to go to a F/E unit with a CD player. Have actually repaired 2 of their steel dash structures due to owners from the 70's & '80's previous hack & whack jobs. Desiring a CD player, would suggest the rear mounted CD changer route. '68-72 A-body's have a ton more room behind the rear seat making it easier, & any weight adding aftermarket pieces mounted above the rear axle is good for weight distribution.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 01-20-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:28 PM

Thanks Pinion Head, I do have a spare CD changer in another vehicle that I have never used, I could always remove it and install it in the LeMans.

Just curious, how did you repair the hacked up dash in your 71? I thought someone made a repair kit for the hacked radio space at one time, but it was for GTO not LeMans.

Thanks, Mark

Old 01-23-2021, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For '70-72 dashes, no avail radio area metal repair kits are out there. Have been hand forming pieces metal pieces & grafting in.

Old 01-23-2021, 08:43 AM

does anyone know if there is a kit to repair the radio surround for the 71-72 LeMans? I am talking about the plastic part.

Thanks guys

Old 01-23-2021, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There was a repair piece sold years ago for GTOs that came with the engine turned decal. The decal did not match the original engine turned pattern very well. I read somewhere that the mold broke so they stopped being made.

In comparing one to the factory piece, it appears a bit long on the end near the steering column and the curve is also off a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200417_141310.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	559200   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_141319.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	559201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_141341.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	559202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_141437.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	559203  

Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 PM

That is what I thought, but I had not heard about the mold and other problems with it. I just remember that there was not one made for the LeMans.
I am researching slim profile Sub woofers right now. I see that there ones made to put under the front seats, might work real nice with the Q Logics.

Thanks everyone again, Mark

Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting, don't remember the swirl covered plastic repair piece. From a few boneyard finds & own parts cars have saved the intact lower rh corner of several dash bezels that were damaged up high. Its very time consuming fitting & plastic welding the lower quadrant into a damaged bezel.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 AM

Thanks, I figured it would be a real pain to do the restoration. I am going to keep an eye out for a good dash just in case I want to do a restoration one of these years.
It would have been a thought that someone would start to make these again, these years seem to be getting a bit popular now and just about all us kids in the 70's and 80's cut the darn thing.
Heck I have been trying to find an Endura nose for my car for a while now, Looks like it would be cheaper to buy an entire car than to just buy the pieces to put it together.