Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-23-2021, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default low profile wheel bearing dust caps

Is there such a thing? I just picked up a set of Year One wheels, installed the center caps and put the wheels on the car only to find the wheel center caps bottom out on the wheel bearing dust caps.

The current caps are completely circular domes. I'm pretty sure I can massage the caps with a hammer to get the necessary clearance but I would like a solution a little less "hacky" than bashing them down for clearance. I started googling but really couldn't find a dust cap that specifically is low profile. I did see some with flat tops but I have no idea if they are the correct size for my rotor. Any ideas?

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the vehicle?

Old 01-23-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vehicle is in my signature but the hubs are from a cut down third gen F body rotor to adapt 13" C4ZR1 rotors necessary to clear the prior wheel combination. The dust caps came off of my old 1LE set up which used 3rd gen rotors as well so I would think the application would be a 90-92 Z28??

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dorman lists a variety of dust caps. If you click on each one it lists their dimensions, check to see if there's one that will fit your hubs. https://www.dormanproducts.com/c-771...dust-caps.aspx

Old 01-24-2021, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up dusting off my bodywork hammers and spent 10 mins slowly reshaping the caps to get the clearance. They came out looking nice and all but now the tabs on the reproduction center caps contact the sides of the dust cap. I can grind down the tabs making them shorter to fit but of course one broke. Now that I have the clearance on the dust caps, I may just remove the tabs on the wheel center caps and RTV them on.