Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-07-2003, 09:41 PM

i have a '73 455 with a ricmond 6 speed on the stock bellhousing. i am getting a bad vibration in the trans at aroud 3500 rpm. 1st and 2nd aren't as bad, but 3rd, 4th, 5t are bad to the point that the shifter feels like it is going to vibrate off. don't know about 6th because i haven't been able to go that fast. the engine was rebuilt, blueprinted, and balance with the stock flywheel, and centerforce pressure plate. when the engine is reved to 3500 rpm in neutral or with the clutch in, there are on vibrations out of the ordinary. i used a new pilot bearing. can any one help with this bad vib thankx jose

Old 04-07-2003, 09:41 PM

i have a '73 455 with a ricmond 6 speed on the stock bellhousing. i am getting a bad vibration in the trans at aroud 3500 rpm. 1st and 2nd aren't as bad, but 3rd, 4th, 5t are bad to the point that the shifter feels like it is going to vibrate off. don't know about 6th because i haven't been able to go that fast. the engine was rebuilt, blueprinted, and balance with the stock flywheel, and centerforce pressure plate. when the engine is reved to 3500 rpm in neutral or with the clutch in, there are on vibrations out of the ordinary. i used a new pilot bearing. can any one help with this bad vib thankx jose

Old 04-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to ask about you pilot bearing. Did you use a bushing or bearing? Have you tried this...when you are going down the road and it is vibrating, push in the clutch and let it out. If it signifigantly changes the vibration, it is probably your pilot bearing. If you put grease on the pilot shaft when you put the tranny in you can adctually push those pilot bushings out. They get a hydraulic seal there and the pressure from behind pushes them out if they aren't real tight.

Was that tranny brand new or was it used before so you know if worked good or not?

U-joints tight and good?

Old 04-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could also be part of the disc is gone, throwing it out of balance, like a car tire it only harmonically vibrates at certain speeds or rpm.. Does it make noise when just pushing the clutch in and out, This could be throwout bearing. Check and see if you lost a mounting bolt on the shifter, letting the shifter vibrate. Oh well gave it a shot!

BIGGERISBETTER-15 yrs in NHRA tech ret. 400 .030 1977, RPM E-Take, Q-jet, 6X, TH350, 8.5 3.73 spool, 3650#, 78 Catalina, 14.50's. Check it out, www.nhra.com.

Old 04-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drive shaft may be outa balance, or bad u joints.
Find a shop with a set of rollers in teh floor and ask em to put the car on them and rev it up in gear and get it to spinning and look under teh car and see whats going on, or just take the drive shaft and have it checked for balance.
Mike

Old 04-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the vibration gets worse with speed you can pretty much rule out anything from the middle of the transmission forward. If it gets worse with RPM than you can rule out from middle of the transmission back. Since half the tranny spins fast with rpm and half spins faster with speed.

Figure that out and then use process of elimination. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2003, 10:41 PM

there is no noise when the clutch goes in and out. the t.o. brearing is new and have checked the shifter many times and is tight. the driveshaft was balanced with new yolk and u-joints. i used a ball bearing pilot bearing. the trans is NEW. over 3400 rpm, vib is not affected with speed or rpm in 1st and 2nd and is minimal. vib slightly affected in 5th over 3400 rpm with rpm. 3rd being the worse, at 3200 rpm and up, vib is affected with rpm and speed
have not clutched when vibrating to se if it changes.
thankx for the input, still playing jose

Old 04-12-2003, 01:57 PM

clutching at 3400 rpm when driving did'nt affectthe vib. any other thoughts
thankx jose