Old 10-07-2000, 07:25 PM

wil the disc brake setup from a 68 chevelle work on a 68 lemans?
where would i get the calipers??
thanks in advance,just trying to help a relative out.

Old 10-07-2000, 07:25 PM

Old 10-07-2000, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes.
Pep Boys, etc. No Luck?? Try Master Power Brakes.
Later-->

------------------
John

Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM

Default how about rotors

I tried opening a new thread to ask, but it doesn't work.

Oreilly was the last vendor I saw with rotors. Everyone else sells rotors and hubs. Does anyone know where I can get new rotors (only) for a 69 GTO?

Also, is there some technical reason the vendors want to sell rotors with hubs? Hubs never wear out and they are heavy to ship.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My local auto parts store told me years ago that the reason they couldn't get two part rotors was because of safety reasons. I know, I know, lots of cars have seperate rotors, just what they told me. The single piece rotors work just fine an are availible everywhere so probably will just have to convert, or find some meaty originals! Scott

Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1706519
Yes the disc brakes from the chevelle will be the same as the lemans. The 68 had dual piston calipers and Inline tube has them - expensive compaird to the single - but delco exact. or you can have them rebuilt by one of the brake companies that still do it and they get +/- $125 each or you can buy the rebuild kits and do it your self - inline tube has them also. Here are a few pictures. from www.inlinetube.com you can also convert to single piston calipers off the 69 but the caliper bracket will have to be changed to the single.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicv8 View Post
I tried opening a new thread to ask, but it doesn't work.

Oreilly was the last vendor I saw with rotors. Everyone else sells rotors and hubs. Does anyone know where I can get new rotors (only) for a 69 GTO?

Also, is there some technical reason the vendors want to sell rotors with hubs? Hubs never wear out and they are heavy to ship.
I have not seen the rotor only of the 2 part rotor for over 20 years. The 67-68 dual piston stuff has always been hard to find at the autoparts store. It is usually remanufactured used stuff. I guess it is hard to find the core's since there were not as many 67-68 ordered with disc brakes compaird to the 69-72 with the single piston caliper.

Inline tube also has the rotors - they are a 1 piece but work all the same.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Carquest / NAPA can get the calipers/ hoses/ ect. They aren't cheap.

69 rotors are a bolt on.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a complete disc brake conversion from a '69 (single piston calipers). Includes spindles, calipers, master cylinder, new pads, proportioning valve, upper and lower control arms, etc.

Give me a call.

Tony (231) 937-4113

Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymusclecar View Post
Yes the disc brakes from the chevelle will be the same as the lemans. The 68 had dual piston calipers and Inline tube has them - expensive compaird to the single - but delco exact.
Incorrect. The 1967 - 1968 Disc brakes were 4-piston calipers each, similar to the Corvette design, only larger. They tended to corrode and leak past the individual piston seals with the original cast iron calipers. Current fix is to have stainless steel sleeves installed. I have two cars with them and two sets as spares. When they are maintained correctly, they are AWESOME and generate much greater clamping force than a standard 69+ replacement.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

then why did GM spend hundreds of hours and tons of money to develope the single piston caliper that was used from 69-into the 80's - If the dual piston was so great they would not of discontinued it. - it had its run as the first attempt at disc brakes and they found a better solution.

Thanks for the correction - Since the caliper is 2 pieces and have 2 pistions on each half it does have a total of 4 pistions or Dual Piston pushing points - any way you slice it -I think people get the picture it is not the single piston design.

I did not want to get into such tech detail but since you brought it up the Pontiac, Buick and Olds, dual pistion are a slight bit different from the Chevy A-body - The bore size is different - but it would fit the same and not make any bit of difference - not noticable anyways. You can buy the new caliper and it has the delco markings and it is at your door in a few days or find a place that still rebuilds the old rusty stuff and take your chances and have the car down for a few weeks. Make sure the place you choose rebuilds your actual calipers - Sometimes they just use yours as a core and you could get one back that are far worst than you sent. The bigger brake companys do not offer the service any more - Master power and Stainless Steel Brakes do not offer it any longer but i hear white post still does them.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Actually, when the 67/8 set up works it stops better than the 69-72 units. The stainless resleeving is a viable option but is $$$$$$$$$$ compared to the later units.

Cost is why GM retooled. The single calipers are cheaper.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not agree since the 67-68 had much smaller pistons and the 69 had one large the piston in the 69 is about the same if not more than the surface area of the smaller pistons. The rotor was the same and the valve was changed for 69 for the new caliper design to achieve the same stopping distance as the year before.

The 67-68 had problems from the start with the pistion and metal casting. Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. Started as a Rebuilding Company in 1977 to help solve the problems with the calipers on the corvettes and soon was doing all the dual piston caliper rebuilding.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, my "argument" is from the technical definition meaning discussing views. Here is some information that will help understand the good/bad of these designs. Remember, the decisions made are not always based on mechanical performance, but on financial performance (accountants) when considering maintenance/warranty costs, costs of manufacture, ease in bleeding system, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Oshiro
OEM (floating) vs 4 piston (non-floating):
  • Most of the brake kit currently being sold is the single piston OEM type caliper. In order for the caliper to squeeze the rotor it has to use a floating design, otherwise it would only apply pressure from one side to the rotor. Because of this design you loose approximately 100 psi.
  • 4 piston caliper squeeze from both sides and are fixed (don't float), so they (4 piston) do not require as much pressure. The single piston caliper also requires more volume to work.
  • The area of a 2-3/4" single piston caliper is 5.93 sq inches VS the area of two (2) pistons on a 4 piston design of 3.53 square inches. (multiply by 2 piston to get the area because the other 2 piston are being apply at the same time to squeeze the rotor, unlike the one piston design) [The 4-piston design has 7.06 sq inches and evenly applied pressure]
1-Piston design
Advantages
  • Easier to bleed
  • Cheaper to manufacture
  • Faster/cheaper to service
  • Lighter
  • More compliant with slight out-of-round conditions for rotors
Disadvantages
  • Requires larger volume of fluid in reservoir
  • Has less PSI
  • Slower to react to brake inputs
  • Less square inches of caliper applying pressure
4-piston design
Advantages
  • The fixed design allows all the piston to be applied at the same pressure, because the pressure is equalized when pressure is applied, thereby allowing the rotor to be squeezed by opposing forces (piston on each side).
  • Superior stopping pressure with less reservoir fluid
  • Smaller Master cylinder
  • Faster reaction to brake inputs
Disadvantages
  • Heavier
  • More complex to build/maintain/warranty
  • More expensive
If you take note of all of the current high-performance automotive braking offerings from manufacturers, they are all using fixed, multiple piston design for superior performance. The introduction of better machining and the use of aluminum has greatly improved this design.