Old 08-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default some details (1970)

I have four questions about what is known to be correct for 1970 Firebirds.
Before posting here I did some searching, and asked someone who I thought might know;
I could get no good answers.

1. Non-A/C kick panels;
    Pull knobs for vents;

I was wondering if anyone here knows if the pull knobs on my car (std black interior) should be black or chrome;

driver side:

(the upper knob is indisputably chrome, the bottom knob appears to be black)

passenger side:

(both knobs are indisputably chrome)

I would have thought that these knobs should have been like the seat track knobs;
    std interior = black
    deluxe interior = chrome

Question: Can someone please tell me what is the correct colour, or if there is an accepted norm for these vent knobs?

2. Wiper/washer button;
    The actual button itself;

I had only recently realized that the button that was always in my car was wrong, but found a correct 1970/1971 part in my small stash;
    I have understood that the correct button should have chrome surround, with a black insert that says "WASH";
    I have a switch which has a button with chrome surround, and a black insert, but that one says "PUSH";
    My button has a complete absence of chrome.

Question: Can someone please tell me if this all black button is correct?
    Or
    Can someone offer a suggestion as to why this one is black, while all the others I have seen have at least chrome surrounds?

3. Console map pocket;
    Length of moulded/chromed strip;

I recently realized that I have this ONE map pocket which does not match the others, I am wondering if this is an early part:

Question: Can anyone tell me what this (right side of picture) map pocket is correct for?

4. The AM radio dial face:
    This is one of those things that absolutely confounds me - the apparent differing radio faces for a given model year;

The bottom radio is an AM-dual speaker unit from a 1970 Firebird;
    To the best of my knowledge this radio is unmodified, the radio ID tag is present.

The top radio is an AM-mono unit which was taken from a 1975 Firebird, and I swapped the face with an AM-mono radio taken from a 1970 Tempest/Lemans (I did this the better part of twenty years ago);
    The radio face I installed has the "Delco" script below the dial bars/numbers.
    The radio ID tag is long missing.
    I have an AM-mono radio pulled from a 1976 Firebird ages ago which has a dial face with the 'Delco' script above the tuner bars/numbers (it has a broken button, and I used parts of it to assemble another radio for a Firebird ages ago) - so I can swap the 'nice' AM-mono to make it 100% correct for my car if deemed fit.

Question: Does anyone know (with a degree of clarity) where and when the 'Delco' script was located?

Thanks in advance for contributing anything you are able.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4654s.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	518119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4653s.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	518120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660s.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	518121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4658s.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	518122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4666s 2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	518132  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 08-18-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1) faded chrome vent knobs here, kickpanels from std int early 2nd Gens, one pair is in a May '70 roller, looked the kickpanels over before rolling that Bird into far back corner of my shop. my exp is the black style knobs came later, have pulled quite a few pristine black kickpanels out of late 70's F-body's (mainly Camaros) & all had black knobs, & had to be changed.

2) standard wiper switch (not concealed) is all black button, labeled WASH. this switch was also used in '70 & 71 233 series, as well as '72 D27's, all when equipped without concealed wiper option. Own two 71's & a 72 performance A-body's all with std wipers. the switch with an all black button, but is labeled WIPE was installed in early 2nd Gen Birds with concealed wipers.

have numerous 70-74 Firebird AM's in the AM radio tubs, have not hauled these tubs over yet, will ck when get them here.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH;
Thank you so very much!!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll go look at my 70 and report back. I'm missing the radio, but everything else is original.

I do know that the knobs on the kick panels are chrome, and it's a standard interior car.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Standard int Chrome

Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks again guys!

I know that with where I'm at right now, were I able to attend the Trans Am nationals, I'd be pouring over and documenting any early cars that show up...

Has it changed much since I was there in 2006(?);
As I recall there were VERY few early 2nd gens there - let alone survivors.
When I was there a shop had two recently completed early cars there;
a white L67/4spd TA, and a red on red SD455/4spd(?) Formula;
As I recall as beautiful as they both were, I was able to quickly see things that were wrong on both cars, which really surprised me;
Don't get me wrong, I'd have happy accepted either, but considering the level of workmanship on the cars (they were stunning!), I was surprised at wrong parts being installed.

But back to details pertaining to '70 Formulas, I found myself oogling over the "433 mile" black car article in 'Smoke Signals' last night;
To me that car isn't cool because of the special order paint, or the mileage - it's that it has all the correct stuff.

I am still a little confused by the myriad of fuel pump to carb fuel lines currently available, and not knowing what they are all based off of, or which one(s) are correct in appearance - or where they deviate from originals...

So this leaves the console map pocket, and the AM radio dial face as the two remaining questions.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1970-77 map pockets have the chrome trim that runs along the top. The map pocket with the trim only on the front is the result of GM switching to larger standardized Delco radios in 1978 that fit multiple car/truck lines. This redesign moved the bottom of the dashpad downward to the point it actually touched the center console and required the top trim on the map pocket to be removed for clearance.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dens71TA View Post
1970-77 map pockets have the chrome trim that runs along the top. The map pocket with the trim only on the front is the result of GM switching to larger standardized Delco radios in 1978 that fit multiple car/truck lines. This redesign moved the bottom of the dashpad downward to the point it actually touched the center console and required the top trim on the map pocket to be removed for clearance.
Thank you very much!!!