Old 09-13-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Instead of Chain or turnbuckle I wanted to use plastic coated aircraft cable with crimped ends. I haven't looked into it yet to see it would be practical.
I did this for years. It was awesome. Clear coated spiral cable with aluminum figure 8 “ crimps”. Got the whole thing at the good hardware store. Had just enough flex but locked solid on a 500hp sbc. Never saw any slip in the crimps

Old 09-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Suspended

Use a smooth idling cam, the car will be more fun on the street and usually faster..

Old 08-20-2023, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I suppose you could weld on a boss.

I personally drilled a hole in the frame when the engine was out of the car and installed a RIV-NUT. RIV-NUT gets tightened and is a part of the frame now but with no welding and it is crimped on both sides of the frame.

Install the strap/chain/cable with a bolt and washer and you should be good to go. I installed a stud in the RIVNUT, loc-tited it in place and can slip the strap over the stud and add a washer and locknut on the outside and it is not going anywhere and it still has a slight amount of movement. Easy to remove too.

Tom V.

The early 2-Bolt Blocks are not too strong in the pan rail area/mount area, but a dual engine plate fixes that weak issue of the block, just like splayed caps on a non drilled two bolt main blocks is a better deal vs a drilled 4 bolt main block with 2 bolt main caps.

Tom V.
This part of the project has finally bubbled up to the top for me.

I put in a Riv Nut in the frame and now I'm looking for a spot on the motor to tie to.

There is one open spot on the head behind the power steering pump. Its pretty tights so I'm not sure it will work. I was also looking at the head bolt or exhaust bolt as an option.

I also noticed I have an open motor mount bolt hole, but you mention "2-Bolt Blocks are not too strong in the pan rail area/mount area" Not sure I'm interpreting your meaning correctly or not.

This is a 455 block with the 5 mounting holes. Its in a 68 bird so I'm only using two mounting points. This open mounting hole looks like a perfect spot.

Old 08-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Go for it.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:42 AM

Are there any pics of the plastic coated wire strap arrangement please. I would be interested to see how this has been done for my 600HP street/ strip firebird.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old thread I know, but I've run the chain from the cylinder head to the frame rail on a couple cars. My 87 GN currently has one, and it definitely does its job.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-21-2023, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought I might need some type of torque strap for my motor, but I used these Butler mounts and I have virtually no movement of my motor regardless of condition (idle, WOT, hard shifts). They are almost like a solid mount. Still no transmitted vibration either. I'm pretty happy with them. Not a good option if your motor is already in your car, but if you have your motor out, it's something to consider.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...tegory:1393551

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share