Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dwell Meter ?

I just read that you can check a module with an old fashion dwell meter, by hooking it to the "Tach" terminal, of the cap. Dwell should increase to at least 30°, as rpm gets up to around 2500 or so.

https://www.agriculture.com/machiner...n-module-dwell

Is this info correct ?

If so, I haven't had a dwell meter in years. Do any of you guys happen to have one you don't use anymore that you'd give me for the price of the cheapest USPS shipping ?

I just checked on Ebay. Since very few guys still use 'em, there are lots of 'em for sale. But most are near $30 or more shipped. And there's no guarantee that they still work.

So, if any of you guys have one you don't need, that you know works, and wanna help an old guy out, let me know. Thanks !

Old 09-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Thanks for that info !

I'll not use a box under any circumstances. I prefer a self contained big cap HEI. Just need one that will work good to 5500 & last a few years. And due to budget, can't buy one of the $200 + new ones.

I think all I need is the Pertronix D72000, since that SHOULD provide a reliable module, PLUS a cheap rev limiter. On paper, it LOOKS like EXACTLY what I need.

So, again I ask: Has anybody here used this module ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PerTronix-D...5.c10#viTabs_0

As with many online reviews, this module gets some great reviews & some that call it junk.
I have one but haven't installed it just yet

Old 09-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Mainly because I wanted the rev limiter and I was moving towards running some nitrous. I guess it’s about like why did you put that Victor on when the rpm so running so good also? Lol.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for that info !

I'll not use a box under any circumstances. I prefer a self contained big cap HEI. Just need one that will work good to 5500 & last a few years. And due to budget, can't buy one of the $200 + new ones.

I think all I need is the Pertronix D72000, since that SHOULD provide a reliable module, PLUS a cheap rev limiter. On paper, it LOOKS like EXACTLY what I need.

So, again I ask: Has anybody here used this module ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PerTronix-D...5.c10#viTabs_0

As with many online reviews, this module gets some great reviews & some that call it junk.
Ick,,,,I won't under any circumstances use anything from Pertronix. LOL

I've used another brand HEI module with built in rev limiter and it died after a couple months of use. Was replaced under warranty and the next one survived up until I sold the vehicle.

I only use HEI's these days if you can find an original GM module, and I'm not ambitious enough to go hunting through yards for them anymore. Kind of not a fan of the bulkiness anyway so I kind of got away from HEI's several years ago.

I personally really just like a points distributor, with points, and if I feel the need I'll fire an MSD box with it for a rev limiter and CD feature. I think it's the best setup going, and if the box fails, I just plug the distributor back into the coil and motor down the road in less than a minute.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just read that you can check a module with an old fashion dwell meter, by hooking it to the "Tach" terminal, of the cap.
That is "a" test of an HEI module. Dwell should increase with RPM within the limits of the module.

It is not conclusive, or thorough. If dwell doesn't increase and decrease with RPM, the module is either defective or is a counterfeit/knockoff bottom-feeder.

There's lots more that can go wrong with HEI modules that isn't tested with a simple dwell check.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my Pertronix D72000 installed. The rev limiter is pre-set at 5500 rpm. That's where I always set 'em in the past. So, I'll just leave it there. Also, went to Fastenal & bought some more Allen head machine screws, to make a positive advance stop. Should fire it back up early next week.

By the way, my HEI had a module that had the GM logo cast or molded into the plastic, as well as the number 466. Does that number mean anything to anybody here ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D72000 & Stop Screw .jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	520656  

Last edited by ponyakr; 09-22-2019 at 03:26 AM.