Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Slow current draw mystery?

I think I have a slow draw on the battery somewhere but I have yet to find it. The question I have is that using a light test (an 1157 socket and two lead wires) shows no draw when I disconnected the neg. battery lead and bridged the gap with the test light. The VM I have shows 9.0 when I bridge the gap. Hmmm? Should I get a better test light?

TIA!

Mase

Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM

A test light with a smaller bulb should light. Then just start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out. If you have two draws it migt take a cobination of fuses to find the right circut.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For low current draw, the test light may not light. Using a voltmeter in that manner tells you very little.

If you have a multimeter, set it to the DC Amps (or preferably milliamps) range and connect it the same way you used the test light.

10 to 50 mA would be ok; more than that indicates some kind of load.
Those are guidelines.

george

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default Update test

I had first used the DVOM just on the DC setting to measure. Now that I have first used the 40ma setting I got zero. Then I tried the 4ma and got .002 to .003. So now I am guessing that I do not have a slow draw. Well, for some reason a six month old Sears Diehard 795 CCA battery just went south? I have been updating all of the harnesses, alt, batt cables, etc but the battery was always disconnected. Soon after I replaced the starter the battery was gone. BTW I did feel te solenoid and it was cold and the starter was installed the right way and works just fine. I did check all of the lights and switches and thhey are good (mostly M&H replacements that have been there for wuite some time.

Thanks for the info guys!

Mase

Old 08-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it truly is that low, perhaps you just left something on?

George

Old 08-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default I hope not but...........

I do have the original ignition switch, door switches and such which are all getting replaced this winter. I do make a habit of making sure everything is off after I get out of the car. As it is a convertible (no dome) and it doesn't have a trunk light, under hood light and the glove box light is missing there ain't much you can't see on in a dark garage.

Tom ~ the fuse trick is a good one and I didn't even think of that so thanks!

George ~ I try to read the archives first before asking here and you usually pop up so thanks many many times for responding and helping out.

If this new battery goes south I am going to hang my "stoopid" sign around my neck!

TIA

Mase

Old 08-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps I missed somethiong in your posts, but how do you know the battery is dead? What voltage is it showing at rest? What happens when you turn the key?

New batteries really shouldn't go dead like that, especially if you had it disconnected while you were working. You could take it to your favorite auto parts place and have them load test it for you, which will tell you if it is really dead.