Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Dies When Fan Switch Turned On ??

Thanks, this is about a 68 Firebird 350 car. WHen I took it out the other night it started a new problem. WHile my head lights are on if I turn the fan switch on. MOst of the time the car just flat dies. No missing or warning, just flat dead. This is new problem. Here is what I have for electric items. High end Delco battery with about 1000 miles on it. Always left with a battery tender pluse connected if it's going to sit a long time. The alt was changed using a new one to a single wire one about 1000 miles agao.

However, the time before the last trip I dissconnected one side of the door switch fuse. As well as the switches and made sure the door switch wires were well protected. Otherwise the the interior light would stay one and run the battery low. Also, this does not happen everytime I use the fan, but only started the other night, and about 90% of the time it kills the car. Head lights stay on and it fires right back up, not like a week battery. Grounds are good and clean, and in fact I have added an extra ground from the frame to firewall.

Would someone please tell me how I check the alt? And, it's a single wire alt. Also, where else shoud I look for a problem? I was thinking the voltage Regulator but not sure if it's that old, because it's not factory. Thanks for any help you may have and good evening. May you all have a fun and safe weekend.

Mike in OR.

Last edited by RR67GTO; 09-03-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where do you have the fan power connected and is it the heater/AC fan or a electric cooling fan? You say it happens only with the lights on?

SOunds like a high resistance connection in your battery feed circuit to the interior. Turning on all those loads causes a large voltage drop to the ignition?

NAy recent work other than what you mentioned?

George

Old 09-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

George, thanks for responding. I am talking about the heater fan and although no other work was performed, we were under the car trying to get the transmission in which takes a some moveing around. We did this laying on the floor of my shop with the car on stands and were in a hury to get it in. Kept thinking about what if? As in what if those new stands made in China really were junk even though they were heavy. So, something may have become messed up. I will try the basics first, and when I find out it's not something simple (it never is for me) I'll get more invloved and maybe have a friend look at it. Thanks again George.

Mike