Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-07-2003, 03:55 PM

Posted this in the street section and it was suggested I post it here also (sorry, I know it's talked about a lot)... I've learned and read that the SD cars pump was to high for street use, but the line, tank and pick-up still fed those cars successfully.... Thanks for the help...

I imagine this has been talked about before, but in a different way, for that I apologize... I've got a 1964 Lemans that I'm building to be a stout street car. Car is complete except for an engine, plans are to have KRE build a "mild-monster" for it. Something right around 500 horsepower with a "new" muncie behind it.. Question is: Stock tank with stock pick-up, larger 3/8" stainless line to front, and a want to use a mechanical pump like a Carter -- will this be able to feed a 500 horse motor? Maybe I'm wrong, the SD's in the early 60's only modification to the fuel system was an increase in spring pressure for the mechanical pump, those ran, didn't they?

Old 12-07-2003, 03:55 PM

Posted this in the street section and it was suggested I post it here also (sorry, I know it's talked about a lot)... I've learned and read that the SD cars pump was to high for street use, but the line, tank and pick-up still fed those cars successfully.... Thanks for the help...

I imagine this has been talked about before, but in a different way, for that I apologize... I've got a 1964 Lemans that I'm building to be a stout street car. Car is complete except for an engine, plans are to have KRE build a "mild-monster" for it. Something right around 500 horsepower with a "new" muncie behind it.. Question is: Stock tank with stock pick-up, larger 3/8" stainless line to front, and a want to use a mechanical pump like a Carter -- will this be able to feed a 500 horse motor? Maybe I'm wrong, the SD's in the early 60's only modification to the fuel system was an increase in spring pressure for the mechanical pump, those ran, didn't they?

Old 12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is probably no specific answer to your question. The stock fuel systems vary dramatically between different models of cars. I've heard some folks post running well into the 11's with a stock fuel system. My car wouldn't get out of the 13's without an electric pump and regulator. I ran into another brick wall right around 12.50's as the pick-up in the tank would get uncovered on hard launches. After messing around for nearly 2 years with the stock fuel lines, tank and sump I finally upgraded the fuel system. I ended up with a rear sump, #8 hose/fittings, canister filter, Comp 140 pump and regulator. I shaved 3 tenths of my ET's on the first outing and ran the best ever 1/8 mile times on the final outing for the season.

I beleive that the stock mechanical pumps will supply sufficient fuel on the street for some pretty high hp engines. I never had any troubles with a stock fuel system until I really started finding good traction. Hard accelleration makes it very difficult for mechanical pumps to pull the fuel all the way from the tank then deliver it to the carb in sufficient volume to keep it full. The results folks get in this area will vary dramatically. In my opinion it is money well spent to install an electric pump and regulator right from the start if you are making over about 400hp. The need to go to a fuel cell or rear sump on the tank will depend on how hard the car launches. If the pick-up doesn't get uncovered then things will be fine......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I concur, do it right the first time and be done with it.

with out questions there can be no answers

1969 Grand Prix
9.947@133.53(1.358)
6.246@107.91(1.342)
WARPed Tepee Forums
alex@pontiacgroup.com

Old 12-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

rzepka,
If you've got the cash to have Kauffman build you a 500HP motor - then I agree with Cliff & Alex. Put $300-400 into upgrading your fuel system and never worry about it again. Having said that, my '66 GTO with a 462 & about 400HP has run a best of 8.5sec in the 1/8th with a completely stock fuel system. It has plenty more in it & I expect to see high 12's in the 1/4 in the spring and the fuel system has not been a limiting factor.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 PM

I have a buddy that just ran 12.07@113 with a stock fuel system 81 TA. I think he has a Cater mechanical pump though and Holley CARB.