Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-06-2002, 03:48 PM

Anybody tell me the differnce between a manual steering arm and a power steering arm? If the power arm is just a hunk of metal like the manual is it feasible to just get it used for $25 instead of new for $100?

Old 09-06-2002, 03:48 PM

Anybody tell me the differnce between a manual steering arm and a power steering arm? If the power arm is just a hunk of metal like the manual is it feasible to just get it used for $25 instead of new for $100?

Old 09-07-2002, 12:52 AM

Dan, the PS pitman's output shaft hole is larger than the manual...may also be a different length but not sure...try posting in the "Parts Wanted" for a used one...i'm expecting mine obtained by that route soon...had several offers from people wanting to sell theirs (for much less than $100 too!). Good luck.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:07 PM

Goatman64, Thanks for the reply! I think that nobody really knows the difference. I just need to put them side by side to find out! I just noticed that you're a hop skip and a jump down I-25 from me. Are you as dry as we are here?

Vidguy might have one for me and if not Frank's Pontiac Parts might have a used one for $25.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:16 AM

Dan, it is equally dry here. In fact they're predicting a DRY Rio Grande through Albuquerque by October without significant rainfall!! I'm through your area occasionally for the Mile High Nationals and other NHRA events there in Denver (my dad races Superstock). Ever get to any of those? Good luck on the Pitman arm...$25 is not bad at all!!

Old 09-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll check the arm tonite when i get home and let you know. I'm sure its Power Steering, the only thing I'm Not sure of is the year. It may be my original or it may have come off the box I had rebuilt. Either way I'll check the numbers and measurements.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 09-11-2002, 02:29 PM

Vidguy, Any more infon on the pitman arm you have?

Old 09-12-2002, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just replaced the P/S box on my '79 T/A with a manual box from a '90 Sonoma truck. Direct bolt in, but the pitman arm from the truck box would not bolt up to the center link on the T/A (the hole was too small). Swapped pitman arm off my P/S box to the manual box and it all bolted right up without binding. The truck box pitman arm wouldn't have been right anyway, as it had 2 bends in it and would never have mounted up correctly to the center link.