Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

I posted the thread on traction bars w/ air shocks.

Based on the advise, I think I'll forego airshocks for good gas shocks . . . and maybe add traction bars down the road if necessary.

But I still like that mean, raised rear-end profile. Is there a lift kit for 2nd Gen Trans Ams? How do they work? And are they the best solution for what I'm trying to do? (I'm also trying to keep costs down).

[ September 13, 2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Bungee ]

Old 09-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

I posted the thread on traction bars w/ air shocks.

Based on the advise, I think I'll forego airshocks for good gas shocks . . . and maybe add traction bars down the road if necessary.

But I still like that mean, raised rear-end profile. Is there a lift kit for 2nd Gen Trans Ams? How do they work? And are they the best solution for what I'm trying to do? (I'm also trying to keep costs down).

[ September 13, 2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Bungee ]

Old 09-13-2002, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have never heard of a 'lift kit' unless you mean spring shackle extensions? If so don't do it. A good way to get the look you want is with bigger diameter tires out back (275/60x15) and lower the front suspension over a smaller tire - like a 235/60x15.
My Formula has 295/50x15s on the rear on 10 x 15 rims with 8 1/2" backspacing. If you do not carry a heavy load (passengers) they work OK, and look great.

Old 09-13-2002, 08:46 PM
Senior Chief

I have exactly the tire sizes you mention: 275/60/15 and 235/60/15, but I still prefer more of that rear-end up stance.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have a clearance problem in the rear or some other reason to have the rear so high? If you are concerned primarily with keeping that "stink bug" look that was so popular 30 years ago, keep the air shocks and add some longer spring shackles. If you want the suspension to actualy work however, keep the ride height as close to stock as possible without rubbing. Look at your first thread for a cheap, possible solution to your problem.