Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am doing the s10 disc brake conversion.The bushings and lower ball joints have been intalled.The problem is the upper balljoint.The
bolt/rivet holes line up,but there is a small gap
(1/16)between the balljoint and the top of the arm.The bottom of the ball joint has a slight curve where it meets the arm hole.The guy that is
doing this for me radiused one arm hole and it fit better,but he didn't want to do much without
asking me.Has anyone else run into this problem and what did you do? Thanks

Old 09-17-2002, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am doing the s10 disc brake conversion.The bushings and lower ball joints have been intalled.The problem is the upper balljoint.The
bolt/rivet holes line up,but there is a small gap
(1/16)between the balljoint and the top of the arm.The bottom of the ball joint has a slight curve where it meets the arm hole.The guy that is
doing this for me radiused one arm hole and it fit better,but he didn't want to do much without
asking me.Has anyone else run into this problem and what did you do? Thanks

Old 09-19-2002, 10:16 PM

i've not done this conversion but it sounds like your installer is on the right track. i wouldn't remove much material. if you take too much out it'll weaken the control arm. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Blue,
You might try emailing 'Ol pinion head. These conversions are old hat to him & he's putting together a changeover kit for my '66. I wasn't of the opinion you had to change control arms too during the conversion. Wonder why your having this problem?
Roger - you out there? Maybe you can bail the man out here so I can learn from his struggles. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goatseeker,I am doing a s10 disc brake set up.You
have to use the s10 upper and lower balljoints.I
already told the guy to go ahead and open upen up
the hole just enough to fit the balljoint.I just
wondered if this was normal.The bolt holes line up so I don't think it will be a problem.Thanks

Eric