Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just aquired a Detroit Locker unit from a buddy who is big into Jeeps. He says it is a Dana 60 from a Chevy 4x4, and since he only uses Dana 30 and 44 axles, he gave it to me. Since I am going to build a rearend from scratch, is this 30 spline unit worth building from? I was planning on using a 9 inch, which is much lighter than the "60", but the Dana has less rotating friction (or so I am told). Is this thing supported by the drag race aftermarket, or would I just sink a bunch of money into a "one off" piece?

Old 09-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just aquired a Detroit Locker unit from a buddy who is big into Jeeps. He says it is a Dana 60 from a Chevy 4x4, and since he only uses Dana 30 and 44 axles, he gave it to me. Since I am going to build a rearend from scratch, is this 30 spline unit worth building from? I was planning on using a 9 inch, which is much lighter than the "60", but the Dana has less rotating friction (or so I am told). Is this thing supported by the drag race aftermarket, or would I just sink a bunch of money into a "one off" piece?

Old 09-11-2003, 05:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a Dana 60 because it was convenient, probably end up costing the same after I put light weight disc brakes, spool and gears as a 9 inch. Really not that much heavier, you put the Ford pig even the aluminum ones in the housing and I'm maybe 20 lbs heavy. The Dana will give you some trouble if you want to play with gear ratios. The Carriers switch at the 4.10, 4.33, 4.56 area and not as easy setting gears under car rather then on a bench. There's also a place called KTRE making aftermarket housing 12 Bolt supposed to take big power. I think the Ford gives you a lot of gear choices easier to change down the road, The Dana is a strong rear build it one time, and the 12 bolt is a more keep you GM all GM thing supposed to be good rotational weight too.

-Rob

Old 09-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may not have been all that clear... I know the generic "60" is a popular piece with strong aftermarket support, but what about the different "flavors" within the Dana 60 series. Are all the Dana 60 guts interchangable, or is my GM based unit an orphan on the drag strip?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually I don't know how to tell any difference between generic or chevy versions. Mine has a spot drilled for the air locker carriers and holds a strange spool now.

The aftermarket support is ok, not amazingly widespread like the 9 inch stuff.

-Rob