Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM

I'm upgrading my 66 GTO from Street/Strip to Strip only. Current config results in 12.77@105.70. 400 bored +.030, stock crank/rods, ported 670 heads, Crane "dual commander", E-performer RPM manifold, Mighty Demon 750 (mech secondaries), Mallory Unilite w/Hyfire IIIA, hooker Comp hdrs., stock Muncie 4 speed, 411 w/Auburn Pro and Moser axles, M/T slicks, 3750lbs.

I'm installing E-heads72cc (fully assembled from E)and Dougs headers. I could use recommendations for a camshaft. I prefer keep valves, springs etc. that came with E-heads. At this time, I'll stay with stock type hydraulic lifters. I'll use roller rockers w/1.5 ratio. I was "looking" at Comp XE294H(.519/.524)and Comp 280AH (.531/.531).

Any pro/con or suggestions? No immediate plans to reduce weight (car, not me).

Chuck Rose
www.allisonracing.com

Old 06-13-2003, 02:11 PM

I'm upgrading my 66 GTO from Street/Strip to Strip only. Current config results in 12.77@105.70. 400 bored +.030, stock crank/rods, ported 670 heads, Crane "dual commander", E-performer RPM manifold, Mighty Demon 750 (mech secondaries), Mallory Unilite w/Hyfire IIIA, hooker Comp hdrs., stock Muncie 4 speed, 411 w/Auburn Pro and Moser axles, M/T slicks, 3750lbs.

I'm installing E-heads72cc (fully assembled from E)and Dougs headers. I could use recommendations for a camshaft. I prefer keep valves, springs etc. that came with E-heads. At this time, I'll stay with stock type hydraulic lifters. I'll use roller rockers w/1.5 ratio. I was "looking" at Comp XE294H(.519/.524)and Comp 280AH (.531/.531).

Any pro/con or suggestions? No immediate plans to reduce weight (car, not me).

Chuck Rose
www.allisonracing.com

Old 06-14-2003, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

got a killer Hyd comp cam 268/268 at .50 lift is .550 cut on a tight 106 for more low end lost intrest in project if you are interested...

Old 06-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Senior Chief

Chuck, I don't know about the specs on the 294 but I know the 280 has a 110 LSA. A higher LSA is actually better than a lower LSA as a lower number is just going to give you a longer overlap with some waste on the performance end. One thing that I like on the 280 is that the cam is a Single pattern and as we know our Pontiacs do run better on a single than a dual. I'm sure some will not agree with this. I went against my own beliefs and put in a dual pattern with a 112 LSA, I will be changing it to a single with a higher LSA. If you can find a single pattern with a LSA of 114-115 it is actually better for the Pontiacs. I will post the cam I change to in the future to see if others agree or disagree. Hope this helps. I think a lot has to do with the combo you are using in any car and if anyone has any thoughts on what I posted please feel free to list them. I do not know everything and would like to see what cams others think are the best for your car and why.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:31 AM

My thanks to GTOKID and Never enough power for their input. I'm still in the planning/dreaming stage. I pulled the engine last week and just finished disassembling the block. I'm inspecting the wear/tear of three years of 1/8 and 1/4 mile jaunts since the last rebuild. You know how it is.... a project to only replace the heads and cam has now expanded into a complete tear down and inspection.

I've been reviewing cam specs on the manufacturer's web sites but it is quite enlightening to hear/learn from actual experience. Thanks again.

Chuck Rose
www.allisonracing.com

Old 06-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HPP had a two part article on the ins and outs of cams. It goes into quite a bit of detail on single vs dual pattern and LSA and what it will and will not do for your engine. It might help.

They were in the last two months (Sept and Aug?)editions.

Hope this helps.

A closed mouth gathers no feet.