Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-27-2002, 11:58 PM

What are the methods of removal for a pitman arm from the centerlink. Mine is already off of the steering box but still attached at the centerlink and the engine is still in the car. Centerlink is to be re-used so i don't want to mess it up...any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:58 PM

What are the methods of removal for a pitman arm from the centerlink. Mine is already off of the steering box but still attached at the centerlink and the engine is still in the car. Centerlink is to be re-used so i don't want to mess it up...any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2002, 12:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only way I know of is to bolt the pitman arm back onto the box, get a pickle and a big a$$ hammer and start beating until it pops off of the center link . Don't worry you wont hurt the center link, but you will probably have to buy a new rubber seal. Also soak it with a half a can of WD40 helps. Good luck and happy pounding.
PS It's great anger therapy.

[ August 28, 2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Jack Blum ]

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 08-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can also try bumping the center link around the pitman with a BLUNT punch in your air chisel. A friend of mine showed me that trick and it works on everything from tie rods to rusty brake bleeders.

Old 08-28-2002, 02:23 PM

Thanks to both of you for the advice...it simply took the right touch (read-BIG HAMMER)and a wedge. I figured that was the case but i'm always a little wary of beating that hard on the old hot rod...thanks again!

Old 08-29-2002, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That "Big Hammer" solution sounds a bit radical!!!

You get a puller, fit it up and wind it down tight. Then just give the Pitman Arm a little tap with the hammer and it will jump right off. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Whacking the beejeesus out of it is totally wrong.

Old 08-29-2002, 01:15 PM

I attempted use of the puller used to get it off the box but there was not enough clearance for the "arms" to grab onto the pitman arm. In the end, it was removed by using the "big Hammer" to drive a wedge in between the arm and the center link, lifting it off the stud.

Old 08-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a puller out there you can use for this, called a tie-rod puller. It has adjustable fingers on it and works in the same manner as the pitman arm puller. Got one in my box, but haven't used it in about 10 years (LOL).

Old 09-02-2002, 04:29 PM

When the wife and I last year replaced the steering box on our '71 (on her B-Day mind you), we used the pickel fork and BFH method. I was scared to damage the Centerlink but it took one hell of a beating to get it off. Good Luck.

Old 09-02-2002, 04:31 PM

Oops, I take that back, I used the BFH to get enough gap to get the puller on it and then pulled it off. You'll hear a tremendous thunk when it pops free!